Anti-Vehicle MANA-Turret

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by DankFist, Feb 13, 2013.

1. ScorpDK

Gotta watch the forums now and see at which point people will change from "OMFG, HA is too versatile!!!" to "OMFG, Engi CAN DO ALL THE THINGS!!!"

Turret looks nice. It has a beasty model and feels good. Now to actually find a battle with vehicles rather than having two factions zerg on each other's Biolabs...

Wonder how the Crown's Bridge towards the westside will look when there's two rows of AV turrets awaiting the incoming armor :D
  2. ScorpDK

Okay, tried this thing out on the bridge of the Crater Crash site.
    Not all that easy to use, as depth-perception is your biggest foe here. But I managed to direct my rockets into the rear of a deployed enemy sunderer that was parked sideways (giving me it's broadside) at around 75% of the draw distance, getting the kill on it. Then also killed two MBTs that were rolling back and forth at near-drawing distance limit. Silly Vanguards.
    The ability to curve your shots in midair allows for both misdirecting the enemy as well as getting hits that would normally not be possible. It's great. :)
    The only downside is that it's really hard to direct rockets into far-away targets without having to change your mouse sensitivity, since the turret lacks all forms of zoom.
    • Up x 1
  3. Mechlord

1. Armour hit is determined by the vehicle's orientation relative to the damage source, the location hit is irrelevant.
    2. Stock Sunderers take equal damage from all directions. With blockade armour equipped, the rear takes LESS damage than anywhere else.
    • Up x 1
  4. ScorpDK

Sooo... yeah, what does that change in the fact that I steered my large warhead deep into the enemy's behind? :)
    I was just illustrating what is possible, not that it was any more effective XDc
  5. Alex Heartnet

Use a gaming mouse? Some models let you change the sensitivity on the fly, like the Logitech G5 I am currently using.

Also, now you see the value of having zoom lens on a vehicle weapon. It works quite well as an aiming aid for most weapons even if not strictly needed. (nevermind the handful of weapons that absolutely require it, like the Kobolt) Some people seem to think that night vision is strictly better, but that's really only true for a handful of really close range weapons like the Bulldog and Fury.

Wait, really? For some time now I have been nailing the sides of tanks in tank battles when they had their front pointed not quite straight at me. Guess I should be just focusing on hitting the enemy vehicle rather then landing percision shots.
  6. Arcanum

Can't wait to see the first videos of entire squads of engineers spamming this. You can't even flare/smoke it away.
    Yes, really. I used to try to target the top armor before.

I'm still curious how it works though. Does it take into account the place the rocket was fired on or the place where you are when the rocket hits?

Source?
  7. Rhumald

it does... a very large amount of damage, you can 3 shot a turret with it, and while the wire guided missile definatly has a learning curve, and doesn't necessarily make it easy to use (you need to guide it all the way to the target, there's no way to "release" the missile once you've got it on the right path, unless you exit the turret) it is, most undeniably, fun.

I like Fun, the turret itself still offers some protection, and yes, you are a sitting duck for snipers for the most part... if you've spotted them first, a big ball of yellow light gets in the way of their shot if it's streaking straight for them though.. hehehee, even if it's by no means something easy to hit infantry with, when there's no tanks around, it's still fun to lob shots off with, and you can get out of the turret once you've got it on path, which is how I can see people using it if they're in a position where they've become a prime target.

as for the mechanics of the Wire guide itself, the fact that you're stationary, wiht a limited aiming motion (ensuring the missile always travels away from you) help prevent it from painting itself as OP, so even with a large battle including many of these, I cannot see many if any people complaining about this particular counter weapon being too powerfull, and it's not something that is easy to hit aircraft with, so flyboys should have little to complain about.

but Engi can do all the things, that's kinda the point (except jetpack) it's a jack of trades, master of none, and the guy you always want around to help ya out.
  8. Vreki

So:
    1. Stand behind hill
    2. Fire upwards
    3. Aim at spotted target behind hill
    4. Profit?
    Can you do that?
  9. Rhumald

no, the wire guidance has a small hindrance in that the missile will attempt (while always moving away from you) to move towards what you're cross-hairs are pointed at, so pointing it at a marked target behind the hill will just make your rocket attempt, rather poorly, to hit the hill... as you can imagine, the rocket being beyond the hill already, just causes it to slam into the ground. my best use of this has been made at a distance, preferably up on a cliff, behind an enemy tank column, where my only real threat, and still a very real and large one, is a tank getting wise to me, a sniper, air support, or any dick jane and harry that decides to put an end to the missiles that keep hitting them every 6 seconds... it is not easy to hit aircraft with, and so far I've only been able to successfully tell them where to shoot at., or get a little EXP before telling them where to shoot at, but if you get into a strategic position, it will kill tanks, and most infantry in two shots (or 1 if you somehow manage the godly headshot with it)... but targeting infantry is... very, very risky, and difficult unless, from your position, they're out in the open and you can direct it into the ground at their feet.
  10. Mechlord

Time of impact.

Game files back this up, but do feel free to test this yourself with any AV weapon.

Blockade armour ingame description:
    "Reduces damage from attacks to the front, side, and top armour by an additional 3/6/9/12%. Rear attacks are reduced by an additional 10/15/20/25%."
  11. hardes13

yeah i too miss a zoom
  12. Bunicula

how does it work as an ammo box? i'm not exactly sure how that works. can anyone explain it too me? thanks
  13. Highway_Star

Ignore my other reply, you are right it was 4.5 seconds. derp:oops:
  14. Frosty The Pyro

select the A.C.E tool (the round thing you place the turret with), hit the change weapon mode button (default "b"), you can now place an ammo box with your ACE tool.
  15. Cesious

I really miss having any form of zoom when using this. Would be fun to have a missile mounted camera as a certable upgrade, letting us hold the right mouse to get a forward view.
  16. Rusky

That would really make it OP. Its currently got a crazy *** range but it's very hard to get on target that far so it's balanced.
    If you added a camera on it you could sniper people warpage to warpgate (i'm not even sure this thing stops until it explodes).
    • Up x 1
  17. Nyldar

It is already way more accurate than any tank at range and deals comparable damage.
    At long range the only thing that makes it not utterly OP is the lack of zoom.

And if its not used at long range the engineer is an easy target for tanks, snipers, hot droppers and anyone else thats close enough.
  18. Cesious

If there was some way to have range finding on spotted targets and on the projectile itself so you could really predict where to drop and the like, it would help more. Beyond open plain where you're a sitting duck for enemy fire, you don't really get the best use out of it because of the unpredictability of distance on both. A short term camera, even if it was limited within a specific distance, would do something similar to this with a little less effort involved on the dev team.

We did have the camera guided missiles back in PS1, though they were free roam, while this would just be a forward velocity missile with some minor maneuverability. Not going to shoot in one direction and curve it around backwards into a base, but could shoot it over a wall and swap to the camera to direct it and try to actually hit something that would be completely blind.

Just seems odd to have no zoom what-so-ever. Would be nice to be able to even cert into the 1.25/1.5/1.75/2x zoom that vehicle weapons can get, at least for now. Especially when you consider people using normal weaponry with iron sights outgunning a ranged wire guided rocket launcher at 400+ meters.
  19. Highway_Star

You're forgetting the recoil. When you fire the missile, the aim raises a bit. This forces you to take aim again while the missile is in flight. Against long range targets this is tricky. Esspecially as there's no zoom optics available for it. I've found the turret is bad in long range because of this. It's bad in close range because you're so vulnerable.

Medium range, against a slow moving tank, that is distracted, then you might get a kill.

Still, it's better than the glow-in-the-dark "look at me" turret you have by default.
    • Up x 1
  20. Nyldar

I`ve been getting kills just fine by shooting down from the crown onto tanks that moved out of the impact site crater.
    The recoil can sometimes be a bit annoying but that missile is wirelessly guided anyway.
    Most of the time I arc those shots to hit the top, back or sides anyway and don`t care about that initial recoil.

You have a few seconds to compensate after firing at distant targets.