Anti-Material Rifle needs to go to the Infil or Medic

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by TorigomaSET, Jun 3, 2015.

1. TorigomaSET

First off, I have to say, I love the idea of the Anti-Material Rifle. It is about time be Infantry have a reliable mid range MAX killed other than just rockets.
    That being said, it being an Engineer only weapon is just flat out wrong. It should have gone to either the Infiltrator (come on, its a Sniper), or the Medic. Both of whom have the lowest Vech killing potential of all the Classes. Engineers already have the Tank Mines, C4 and the AV turret. Ok, Yes, they are suppose to be the Anti-Vech Class, and that is fine. HOWEVER, what we have here, is just giving them a Weapon who's role is already filled by the AV Turret!

In Comparison, Lets look at the Medic first. The only AV capability they have is C4. and when was the last time you where C4ed in a Tank by a Medic? Medics just can not use the C4 to its full potential, like the LA or Engi can. Now don't get me wrong, It can, and still is, used for AV, however, the medic almost always uses it as a AI rush weapon. If you need to Take out a tank, you either pull a Heavy, LA or Engi. Giving them the AMR would give them a more varied support role, fluctuating between healing teammates behind a camp, while peaking out to take out advancing armor.

Looking at the Infil, this would be a good choice as well. As it Stands, the only AV or Anti-MAX option the Infil has is Explosive Bolts for the Crossbow, and those are near useless outside of a few set scenarios. Giving them this Sniper would given them a opportunity to finally get in on protecting against those big armor pushes and Dealing with MAXes, while not being so OP as to still one headshot Infantry from 300m.

All In All, AWESOME Idea, but still needs some Planning.
  2. SW0V

I disagree. Your argument is basically, "lets give an AV rifle to the classes whose roles aren't for AV because they lack AV potential"... yep. This would be like making an argument for heavies to receive a medtool, because they lack revive capabilities, or engineers an AOE stealth deployable, because they lack cloak capabilities.

Play the class that fills the role you want to accomplish., don't cram a class into a role it's not meant for.
    • Up x 4
  3. TorigomaSET

No, you are confusing Class roles with Functionality Roles (for lack of a better term). AV is the latter, It is a Role that almost all of the Classes can preform if they so choose (though Infil and Medic have a noticeably lower ability to do so). The Egi's CLASS Role is as Tactical Support, they are the Vech/MAX healers and support guys. Yes, they are the dedicated AV guys as well, but only in so much as they have the most AV OPTIONS. And Yes, that is how it SHOULD be.
    Same for the cloaking or Medic, those are CLASS roles, they are options that only they have access to. And again, most classes have some form of AV. IF only Engis and MAXes had AV ability, then your point would be valid, but as it is, you are trying to compare apples and oranges.
    My point with this is, as AV is a functional Role, this kinda option should at least be available to the Classes that have barely any options themselves, instead of just one.

You said "don't cram a class into a role it's not meant for", then by that logic we should take Rockets and AT Grenades from heavies, they are meant as the Tanky Infantry, not AV, or C4 from LAs, they are a maneuverable quick shocktroopers, not AV.
  4. SW0V

I am confusing nothing.
    It seems that you are the one that is confusing class roles as is evident by your assertion that heavies should not have launchers...
    Heavies are your primary anti-vehicle infantry.... NOT engineers and NOT light assaults!

Here are the class roles:
    1. Infiltrator: Recon/Infiltrator/Sniper (Suppression)
    2. Light Assault: Flanker assault
    3. Heavy Assault: Anti-Vehicle/Suppression/Front line assault
    4. Combat Medic: Front line Assault
    5. Engineer: Mixed bag of gadgets for Infantry and vehicle support
    6. MAX: Power multiplier (Anti-Infantry + Anti-air + Anti-vehicle)

Ergo; an anti-MAX/Vehicle support weapon, should go to the support class (Hint: It's neither the infiltrator nor the medic).

I believe my views on the topic match up with what the devs had in mind. It is why the weapon is currently on the engineer class and will likely stay on the engineer class unless someone gives a valid reason for it to be on any other class.

So far, I haven;t seen anyone make a valid suggestion.
    1. Infils! Because it's a scoped weapon... is not a valid suggestion.
    2. Medics! Because they can't kill tanks.... is not a valid suggestion
    3. Light assault! Because I want it .... is not a valid suggestion
    • Up x 1
  5. Sumpala

The medic doesn't need an AV because it will be surrounded by soldiers who will be more effective at AV. The AMR is actual mediocre at dealing with anything that isn't a person walking around in over sized armor with massive guns attached to their arms.
    The AMR is going to lower the infiltrator's combat effectiveness due to its lower ammo size(ammo pouch doesnt seem to work for it) than regular snipers and its very poor performance against regular infantry and vehicles. You can have a straight pull bolt on it but after firing a shot there's a few seconds where the weapon/scope sway is increased and won't let you fire a follow up shot.
  6. XLander

I haven't tried it in it's because I'm not installing pts again. My thoughts though.

One if it is a ranged weapon it should not be any class but infil. This class is already so limited.

If engineers or medics get this it should be very close range to medium range. The other class already have enough long rang weapons that can effectively counter a sniper because of hit shake. Giving a 2 shot long range weapon to any class but infil completely negates the role of infill. No doubt that since infils have lower damage mitigation it will one shot them.

Again you have made an armored sniper class with this weapon. Blurring the whole class thing and balance of classes.

If your going to blur the class you may as well move to an inventory based balance like the original game. If your going to blur to that point you should also go back to allowing looting of enemy weapons and ammo.

A side note to that since you seem to be making an anti infill weapon not an anti max weapon. How about some improved tools for the infill that would make sense.

Can I get a rec tool from ps1 that lets me hack vehicles and turrets. Not just hop in a turret buy change how they work with an enemy in it. Repairable only by another cloaker. As for tanks... Reverse steering or aim, increased time between shots or reduced mobility... On a timer of course. Something like 30 seconds. Of course the vehicle or turret would only be susceptible to one virus at a time. Vehicle would get a cooldown period that is similar to the infected period. During this time that cannot be rehacked. Turrets would maintain whatever they are infected with until an infil unhacks them. Of course vehicle could also be fixed the same way.

Back on topic though. This gun negates the role of an infil unless it is extremely range limited. If it isn't range limited then it should be infil only it is way to way to counter an infil already.
  7. XLander

Again in short the AMR SHOULD ONLY BE MEDIUM TO SHORT RANGE ACCURACY.

The natural balance would lend itself to being more effective at range against big targets like tanks because they are the broad side of a barn. But they should have so much sway that they can never be used as an anti infil sniper rifle for a class that has medium armor.

Again this would completely destroy the infil class if medium armor classes or heavy armor classes can sniper back with one or two head shots.

This weapon again should only be short to medium range. With that in mind it should be available to all classes. It should be a non class specific short-medium range NS weapon. Even infils because they have nothing that is actually useful against an armored target except prox mines. Don't mention that stupid dart, the sniper rifle does more damage that the darts.

On an infil it would be class balancing for the players who use the infil class in cqc fashion. After all why not make it NS sh-md range anti max available to infils they are already an easy kill with no real damage mitigation.
  8. Sumpala

The AMR is a long-medium range weapon and is already terrible at dealing with infantry with low magazine size, long chamber time, and the sway that comes after shooting a round. The AMR is also mediocre against actual vehicles taking 3 shots for flashes, 2+ magazines for harassers and lightnings, and it only makes dents on sunderers and tanks.
    I really wouldn't give this to any class other than the engie due to the class's versatility.
    The HA has more effective AV weapons
    The Medic has no real reason for having the AMR
    The LA is a flanking class and the AMR doesn't suite it well
    And infiltrator's combat effectiveness will be lowered due to how bad the weapon it is compared to other infiltrator and AV weapons.
  9. WalrusJones

Really, the main reason for medics being given AMR's would be to increase the amount of support that pure support medics get, as we see all too many pure combat medics on the field.

It would have a logical tradeoff with an AMR engineer, who could fire forever, and thus, could waste ammo on non priority targets from a distance, while an AMR medic would need to stick with the squad, and integrate into allied efforts.
  10. Scr1nRusher

It shouldn't be on medics, it just doesn't fit the class.
  11. WalrusJones

They used to say the same about battle rifles. Personally, I would love to have more reasons to break up with C4 as a medic.
  12. XLander

engies already have sniper turrets.

Im mostly making a point that if snipers are going to continue to have so many weaknesses. Then other classes should not be able to carry the same strengths.
  13. SapioiT

On the same topic, but I felt like making a different thread since I am analysing the "problem" from a different point of view...