[Suggestion] Anti-Cloak Scope

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Heini, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Heini

Since cloaks will most likely be hardly visible in the near future, I want to suggest a scope that's basically identical to the current night vision scopes (1x, 6x, etc...) with the only difference being that it doesn't highlight anything except for cloaks, both vehicle and infantry.

This would be the long needed alternative to the questionable darklight flashlight and would balance itself quite nicely due to all the disadvantages such a scope might bring. Since you cannot equip such scopes on pistols you would be forced to use them on your main weapon you would have a big disadvantage and you would run around with them unless you know you are hunting for cloaked targets and thus they would rarely appear. However once you focus on hunting cloaked targets it would show it's worth, especially for other infiltrators who want to get rid of camping infiltrators that are otherwise hard to deal with and would make the infiltrator class more appealing to non infiltrator mains. It would also shift the infiltrator a bit more to it's intended role of a recon unit since they would be able to spot cloaked Sundies and relay such information to allies.

I believe this concept is quite well balanced and has advantages to everyone, including infiltrators themselves and most people would want such a scope in the game but please share your thoughts about it in the comments.
  2. Scroffel5

I think that this could all work, but it would mean the scopes would have to be at least 100 certs. The Darklight Flashlight works, for the most part. It illuminates cloaked Infiltrators in close range. It only prevents you from using a laser sight and makes a light where you are at. Having the scope helps you out at range but wouldn't help you in CQC combat.
  3. That_One_Kane_Guy

I'd prefer something like a Dark Light Laser. You can use it with any optic you like but you need to know exactly where your target is to light them up.
  4. Savadrin

Look, I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree.

What's the effective range of the scope?

You're essentially negating an aspect of this game because you don't like it, or at least that's what I gather.

Infs already have counterplay. It's called a Stalker Cloak with a Blackhand. EZ PZ, I counter terminal campers every time one domes me, and then wait for them to come back and keep killing them until they leave.

The unintended consequence of the idea you posted is that I will make my Harasser gunner equip that scope and sit in the rumble seat so that we can clear out every cloaked sunderer with ease by just scanning periodically as we cruise past bases. No thanks.
  5. Heini

This is just the general idea, it would obviously be adjusted as the matter is discussed more. It could also be limited to 1x and not spot vehicles and only Infiltrators. I just think that the Darklight Flashlight isn't a good way to counter Infiltrators and we need a good alternative.
  6. Heini

A laser would be little different from the flashlight, except that you are less visible. What this game needs is a way to scan a wide area, probably limited to close range like the current 1x IR/NV scopes, for infiltrators that also works reliably during the day, which is one of the many flaws of the Darklight Flashlight. Using the flashlight is also like asking to be shot by an infiltrator because they know you are a danger and suddenly 5 people are shooting at you as soon as you pull the flashlight out, especially during the night. Of course this scope would come with heavy drawbacks as well to limit the use but it would still be a good alternative to the current flawed Darklight Flashlight.
  7. MonnyMoony

Does anyone know why they removed the decloak from EMP nades, especially when cloaked sundies are considered as well. It's ludicrous that you can find a cloaked sundy and get right up close to it, but have no way of spotting it. EMP nades at least gave you the option of temporarily decloaking it in order to spot it.

I play a lot as infil, but I think this change was a mistake.
    • Up x 1
  8. Crayv

I would like to see it on an NS sniper rifle that does 475 damage with no damage drop off.
  9. iller

Oh great... give the CHAM hack kids even more probable deniability whenever they light up a Stalker cloak 100 meters away (and every round is magically a headshot b/c wtf is spread and recoil amirite?)
  10. Heini

Infiltrators can equip the Hunter crossbow as a sidearm which has explosive arrows which can deal damage to vehicles and decloak sundies with it.
  11. That_One_Kane_Guy

The point of the laser would not be visibility, but range. You would need to know the infiltrator is there and roughly know where he is, but it would be an invaluable tool for combating ridge and tower campers that are otherwise very difficult to kill even if you know they are there. It would be the pinpoint ranged option as opposed to the DL's close-quarters blanket.

Sorry but I've got to disagree. The DL flashlight is a reactive tool. You pull it out when you either suspect or know there is an infiltrator lurking about, but by in large most people don't even keep it equipped on their sidearm, let alone a primary. You're talking about something that would be used on a primary. There is no fine line here, in order to balance it you would have to make it so cripplingly overspecialized as to be practically useless.

I am fine with an option for detection of cloaked targets at range so long as it requires some awareness and skill to use, but 'scanning wide areas' with a pseudo-NV scope is not that option. It would be similarly fair of me to ask for a new ammo type that ignored the HA's overshields.
  12. Heini

Well the Flashlight is kinda of scanning an area, it's just hard to use during the day and gives your position away too easily.

As for the laser, if it really had long range it would proably be quite good. You just have to be careful to keep it off if not used or else you would have a giant laser pointing to your location. This could also effectively be used to sweep a room and check for infiltrators but would still not be too easy like the scope and would also give away your position. I'm quite in favor of this suggestion.