Another Type of BSOD?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by jollybadger, Jun 15, 2013.

1. jollybadger

Hey guys/girls,
    I've been playing this game for quite a while now, but I'm curently unable to appreciate the gaming experience, due to some BSODs occuring on a not regular base.
    And yep, there are some threads about bluescreens, but I haven't found anything useful, so... this is it.

Well, I'll just leave some information here and tell you what I checked so far - maybe someone else has another idea about what to do.
    First the dump, it's not from today, but a screenshot I uploaded earlier. Today's two dumps show the same.
    [IMG]
    Info about my system (dxdiag):
    http://pastebin.com/g3Jq9d4r
    Short summery of my hardware:
    i5 3550 @3.3GHz
    GTX 560 Ti
    2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9
    Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
    Samsung 840 Pro (256GB)
    WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 (2TB)
    In my eyes, the system fits the recommended hardware...

Description of the events:
    After a seemingly random amount of time (2 min, 2 hours, everything is possible), in no special situation (at the warpgate, fiddling with my class configuration, in the midst of battle, driving through empty plains...), monitor fails to get a signal from the PC, obviously because of the terminated driver. And because I use the audiodriver of my graphics card, I also have a short interval of looping sound.
    So, after restarting my PC the hard way, I get the usual message about the shutdown etc. and nothing else happens.
    (Except for one time, when the post BSOD reboot coincided with a Windows update, which lead to another BSOD, but I guess that was the cobination, afterwards, the update was installed without problems)

What I've done so far:
    Installing the current and two older versions of the NVIDIA drivers, always after deleting their predecessors.
    Checking system temperature, clocking and fanspeed while playing - without recognizing anything spectacular.
    Running three different benchmarks - for overall performance, a heat stresstest and a physx benchmark. No problems.
    Checked all my RAM with memtest for an hour - 0 errors.
    CPU benchmarks showed no problems, everything is running fine and cold.
    Checked the S.M.A.R.T. of the HDDs and they are healthier than I am.
    Deactivated single graphic effects but the crashes occurred either way, they don't seem to be related to a certain configuration.
    Checked the game files via steam; After having no error reported, I still redownloaded and reinstalled the game, but it didn't get any better.

I really liked this game, so if anybody has any suggestions for me - what values to check, what workaround to try etc. - I'd be pleased.
  2. atsiv

have you ran a memory test?nevermind seen it after I posted kids distracted while reading.:)
  3. shd

Try uploading your dump file here: http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze and let it analyze.

It usually does a pretty good job of identifying the cause of the bsod.

Other stuff to try: install and play without steam, uninstall the drivers via some driver cleaner utility (like driver fusion).
  4. jollybadger

Well, thanks for the input.
    As I stated in the op, MS Windows says the graphic cards driver got a time out, because the os thought it would be not responding.
    I also uninstalled the drivers via a cleaner utility and afterwards cleaned my os from unnecessary files via another tool, before rebooting again and finally installing the new driver. For me, that's as clean as it gets.

So, I'll download the stand alone version, as soon as I'm home.
    Just out of interest... Will I have access to my existing profile while using the non steam version? I have a hunch that this won't be the case...
  5. asmodai

You log in with your SOE Station account in both cases, as far as I know, so no problems there. You should have access to your profile.
  6. jollybadger

The login works, the game doesn't.
    By the way, I didn't only install the stand alone, but reinstalled Windows (it had it coming after almost half a year).
    But still, after a few minutes, there was a big black NOPE., same BSOD as before.

So we are back at the start - suggestions for my further approach please...
  7. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

While the BlueScreens you're experiencing may exclusively be caused when you're playing PlanetSide 2, games themselves cannot cause a blue-screen to occur.

What can happen is our game calls for a driver, and Windows either doesn't have it, or the driver it has become corrupt. In addition, blue screens can also indicate an issue with the hardware itself, whether it be the seating of your video card, or the temperatures it reaches during game-play.

I'd suggest uninstalling/reinstalling your video card's drivers completely, running a defrag on your machine.

I see you mentioned you checked your temperatures and they were fine, I'd like you to double-check and ensure that your system is free of dust or any other debris that would obstruct efficient air-flow, as well as making sure all of your hardware is seated and cooled properly.

If your problems persist, you might need to grab the error string from the Blue-screen and contact Microsoft support.
  8. AnUnoriginalName

dxgkrnl.sys is a DirectX system file.

You should open a command prompt as administrator (open the Start menu and search for cmd, right click and run as admin) and run "sfc /scannow" (no quotes) to see if it may be corrupt.

You should then update your graphics driver to the latest version available, then update DirectX here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35