[Suggestion] Another thread about COF values when jetpacking

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Aegie, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Aegie

I understand LAs should not be nearly as accurate when jetpacking as when not jetpacking, however, the COF multiplier is laughable and needs to go.

Choose LA, equip a laser, find a wall and face it. Now, use your jets and fire off 1 round a time taking care to notice where the laser (and therefore the barrel) is pointing and the trajectory of the bullets.

Not only do the bullets take a completely random deviation from the barrel (as COF is designed- a poor mimic for flight turbulence but I suppose it is economical) but the amount of deviation is ridiculous- I have not tried to calculate how much so if someone has that would be appreciated- but it seems like they often leave the barrel at greater than a 45 degree angle.

I propose that a COF multiplier for jetpacking be replaced by a recoil multiplier (for both vertical and horizontal recoil). This has the benefit of (a) still making accuracy while jetpacking a serious concern while at the same time (b) rewarding those LAs who practice shooting while airborn. The only viable way to shoot while jetpacking is with an SMG or a shotgun and in both cases you only really have a chance if you well within CQC. A recoil multiplier would still make ranged airborn shooting impractical but at least the bullets would be coming out of the barrel. Moreover, from a realism perspective it would be the performance of the handler (i.e. their ability to manage recoil since they are airborn) that would be affected by being in the air and not the performance of the weapon (i.e. COF and bullets popping out of the side of your gun).
  2. Aegie

I will try to post some video later on but seriously has anyone looked at this? It is laughable.
  3. PaperPlanes

It's an LA problem, so SOE doesn't care. They don't consider us a real class.
  4. HarvestCheddar

Hopefully it'll get looked at in the (unscheduled) LA update...
  5. Hagestol

More recoil and less COF would be a nice fix. So we'll have to slowly burst, but we can still hit where we aim.
    • Up x 2
  6. Kronic

Tbh I always thought we shot be able to shoot accurately while using drifter jets. Would make them that much more useful.
  7. Ztiller

The jetpack should be used for strategy, to gain a vantage point. It should not be used as a direct combat-buff, just like the infiltrator cloak is not meant to be used to dodge bullets, but to avoid getting shot in the first place.

Ah yes. More overexaggerated ridiculous drama. I'm sure that's what will get SOEs attention.
  8. Aegie

Okay, except that LAs are not invisible when they are jetpacking- oh, and IMO the only reason why we are not allowed to fight back effectively while airborn is because other posters cried all the way to the bank.

I'm not saying we should not be penalized- I am only saying that recoil would be a better penalty because 1) it is more realistic since the problem you would have firing a weapon while airborn would be related to controlling the recoil (being airborn would never affect the gun itself, only the user), 2) it would not look so laughably ridiculous if bullets were not popping out of from what looks like the magazine, 3) while it would be difficult to return fire, you would actually be able to have some idea where the projectiles would go rather than the trajectory being completely random, 4) LA is one of the least played and least scoring classes so making it not feel so handicapped would be a good thing for those already dedicated to the class and a good thing for overall diversity of classes on the battle field.

Getting tired of this game performing in ridiculous ways just to please people who do not want to die.

Overexaggerated? You must not have any idea what I am talking about. I am not saying that LAs should be able to shoot from the sky as though they were on the ground- all I am asking is that the mutliplier be applied to recoil so it is not laughable when you and your laser are pointed at someone's head and the projectile flies off down-left out of the barrel at greater than a 45 degree angle.

LA- You will have the fewest goodies of any class, will be one of the least rewarded classes (will get headaches from the jetpack sound because people thought that would magically give them better situational awareness) but you get a slow motion super jump. By the way, if you shoot while using your slow motion superjump your shots will fly all around you in random directions. Its balance.

Nope, bad mechanic is bad. Relative motion, you think it is difficult to hit a LA in the air? And I'm not even talking about letting LA shoot as well as if they were not flying- just a multiplier on a different value so the gameplay will not be so dumbed down, corny, and laughable.
  9. Wolfwood82

I think CoF is suppose to affect your hold on the weapon, hence why things like running, jumping, crouching, and JJing affect it.

I'll agree the CoF grows to silly widths, but I kinda think a better option is decreasing the CoF so that there is still a bloom, while also adding a recoil modifier.
  10. tutzdesPS

LA are using their body for balancing while flying. Try shooting something while skating or walking on a rope.

I killed a lot of people from UBGL, dropping grenades, tossing C4 while flying. I'd say that reducing CoF of weapons would make LA ridiculous. Height advantage is already a huge boon. On demand height advantage is OP.
  11. Aegie

I'm not saying they should reduce the ridiculous COF bloom and do nothing else- I am asking that they trade the laughable COF bloom for a recoil multiplier instead.

LA may be using the body to balance while flying but I fail to see how anything you (as the weapon user) do should affect the angle of the trajectory of the projectile as it leaves the barrel- I can wave a gun around like a maniac while riding a unicycle and firing full auto and the bullets will never, ever leave the barrel at a 45 degree angle or even a 10 degree angle. The inaccuracy of bullets has little to do with the angle of the projectile as it leaves the barrel unless you are firing the wrong round out of the wrong weapon (not really possible) because the entire purpose of the barrel being sized for the projectile is so the projectile leaves the barrel traveling in a straight line- deviations from this straight angle are caused by 1) turbulence due to wind resistance and 2) gravity. Controlling recoil is affected by the user as this affects where the barrel is aiming- the bullets still leave the parallel to the barrel because thanks to physics they must. COF is a poor mimic of the deviations that occur due to chaotic elements of projectile flight paths- by rights this value should be effectively 0 as the projectile leaves the barrel and increase over distance but this may be too difficult to implement properly. Recoil is the ability of the user to control where the barrel is aiming and hence where the bullets should be traveling.

Again, there is no way for a projectile to leave the barrel of weapon at anything other than an essentially parallel angle without implying the gun is broken. This is why I think the mechanic is broken because it acts as though the weapon is broken since bullets are not traveling straight out of the barrel but rather at abrupt ludicrous angles. It looks stupid and plays stupid.
  12. Hypest

1, Buy IR/NV scope
    2, Equip it on your favourite gun
    3, ADS in while jetpacking
    4, Shoot infiltrators so they can cry on the forums

Well, it did worked with the infiltrator class. :rolleyes:
  13. Ruar

Have you ever tried walking perpendicular to your target and shooting? No combine the added motion of vertical change, horizontal change and all that while controlling a jetpack. If anything you probably shouldn't even be able to shoot while flying around let alone hit anything. Nothing against LA, but the point of the pack is to flank, hit out of the way spots, and attack from odd angles. It's not supposed to be an attack multiplier which makes it impossible for your enemy to hit you due to hit detection and warping while you are able to kill them while you are bouncing around.
  14. Ztiller

It did? What did they get?

And trust me, i'm there telling them to stop being such crybabies all the time aswell.

Criticism is fine. Whining and crying and saying that everyone hates you is not. The LA and Infil forums are very full of those kinds of people.
  15. Hypest

Priority revamp over LA.
    Nerfing LA. (mostly the jetpcak noise, but i read comments about to take the C4s away, take the shotguns away etc etc.).
    Nerfing 6x scope (it's ok and 6x scopes pretty much sniper exclusives, they aren't worth it on the BRs for example).
    Increasing breath holdificationingness (i'm happy for this).

LA got nerfed by windows (flanking routes reduced), C4 got nerfed three times now(radius, despawn on death, reduced damage against vehicles), jetpack a couple of weeks ago. While it's not much but let's see what happened with the cloakers: SMG class, Wraith cloak and now the breath. While i'm happy that SOE is working on classes, but i don't understand why would some players still cry about the LAs and want to take away it's very few toys or niche ability. That's just pisses me off.

And here is you. Obviously playing the cloaky class most of the time and want to tell to guys like me that how should i use the jetpack and what does it meant for. Shouldn't be used as a direct combat buff? What the hell are you talking about? Please tell the magriders they shouldn't strafe in combat, because it's obviously meant to be used for paralell parking only. If you could use the cloak for dodging you would, but wait! There is a cloak for reducing damage. Derp.
  16. Ztiller

Like i said, criticism is fine. what i can't stand is the 7-year old "Stop hating me" whining that goes on in these 2 subforums. "They gave my jetpack sound, i'm gonna stop playing!" I actually hoped people would be a little more mature than that.

Fiar enough, the LA have taken some nerfs. Wether i agree with it or not is not my decision to make, sicne i don't really care about it.

What i'm saying is that if you try to use the Jetpack for somethign that it is not, don't expect it to work wonders. *Its a mode of trasportation, nto a combat jetpack. Just like the infiltration cloak is only ghille suit, and not an invisibility cloak. I learned infiltration by learning how to use the cloak properly, despite it suffering from tons of drawbacks and weaknesses and not by trying to use it for somethign it is not.
  17. Gary

18. InvalidCast

Have you tried using one of your carbines with the Adv Laser? I kill people fairly often while flying with my VX6-7 with Advanced Laser from hip fire and the HS/NV helps as well as was already mentioned. Granted it really only works within 10m or so. It's really fun to fly circles around the capture point inside towers while fighting people.