Another SMG thread (the MKV this time)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dualice, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Dualice

Soo, I recently created a thread on the TR's Hailstorm, asking for general feedback and community opinions. I got the thing to auraxium at last today, and don't plan to use it again - it's just not my cup of tea. My NS7 and (F)Armistice have purple medals on them too, so if I want to start afresh I only have one option: the MKV Suppressed.

The fact that it's just a rehashed NS7 PDW kind of annoys me, and makes me hesitant to spend 1000 certs on it. How does it perform "in the field", in comparison to its original counterpart? The marginally higher fire rate could be useful for spraying I guess, and testing in VR seems to show its ADS accuracy is largely the same (i.e. rather good for an SMG).

I know it's not close-quarters but I might just go with the SOAS-20 instead. Could do with a break from the SMG play style. That leads me on to another question though... if I aurax-ed the MKV that would, correct me if I'm wrong, grant me access to the Shuriken. Is that something that's worth auraxiuming one more generic Nanite Systems weapon for?
  2. Clay

The MKV is somehow a very weird weapon. Some love it and some hate it. At first you should decide if you find a suppressor useful in this game. If yes, the weapon could work for you, but it needs a very special playstyle. If you try it in VR you could think it has the same range then the ns pdw. But this is definitely not the case. The slower bullet velocity (well faster than a ns pdw with supressor but still dawn slow in comparsion to normal ns pdw) plus the higher damage dropoff at range + the obligatory soft point ammo causes this weapon to perform really poor at range or even midrange. Dont even bother with forward grip. On both of my chars combined I have about 1000 kills with it and I think the best way to play with this gun:

1x reflex, advanced laser sight, SPA

You get a weapon which has an incredible hipfire accuracy, combined with a good bullet velocity for a supressed weapon and so a nice smg infil weapon for the "cloak off, ADAD, kill, cloak on" playstyle. The supressor and generic sound of the weapon will help you survive and the good hipfire accuracy helps you dancing around your enemies while pumping bullets into them. That can be very fun. I have to admit though that some of the empirce specific smgs can do that job the same way or even better. The MKV has just a little more range than them. If you like that take the weapon.
    • Up x 2
  3. P1GG

Meh, it's just a weak SMG. It can't compete with the armistice. It's pretty underwhelming, so you might work on the SOAS first. You'll definitely be using a new playstyle with it.
    • Up x 1
  4. Dualice

Nice, thanks for the detailed run-down. With everything but the PDW I refrained from suppressors as I found the reduced effective range really off-putting. Looks like the MKV will still have 15m max damage range with SPA, and as you say the integrated suppressor doesn't hurt stats as much as an "after-market" one would.

I think the main turn-off for me is it just seems like a half-arsed addition to the arsenal. Would've been much more fun if they added a high damage or high fire rate NS SMG. The NS range/accuracy paired with a 143 damage model on an SMG would be dreamy. Then again that'd essentially be giving all the factions an Eridani, which might p*ss off a few Vanu.
  5. breeje

i feel the same way about the MKV on what you think of the hailstorm but you need to arauxium it to get the shuriken
    and i love my shuriken
  6. NoctD

Personally, I like the MKV - its truly the best SMG in the game if you want to use a suppressed SMG.

I've used it mainly on LA though, the suppressor is great because so few people tend to look up and such. Put it on for tower fights, bio-labs, etc and its great. I'd say I use it more close-mid rather that CQC in your face too... the other SMGs require more of an in your face approach except the PDW (but put a suppressor on then the PDW is less than the MKV), and even the Cyclone I find rather lackluster compared to the MKV, with a suppressor on it.

I use it with a 2x reflex (again given my play style), soft point and advanced laser.

I really wanted to post and ask if there was some secret sauce in the MKV, cause it feels really nice as a suppressed SMG, I was quite pleasantly surprised since I didn't think it was much more than just an NS7-PDW + suppressor.
  7. Kunavi

Got the Hail recently, I can't say it's better or worse than any other SMG but it definitely has a place in my arsenal. For the way I play Infiltrator(The situations I like to be in) when I'm not blasting heads open, it's way better than the Armistice even if I were to slap extended magz on that. I think it's also a bit more stable due to the lower ROF so ADS with it is comfortable. Hip firing is not for me.
  8. Dualice

Statisically it seems the Hailstorm is not as bad as I thought. Could well just be a case of it feeling more sluggish than the others. Its ADS stats actually got tweaked earlier this year, so as well as firing slower its accuracy down the sights is better than average.

A valuable insight! I'm far too jubilant about using carbines again (specifically the Lynx) on my light assault to go back to SMGs right now, but if I end up getting the MKV I'll bear it in mind.
  9. OldMaster80

I think it's a good smg. It's not the Armistice but it's silenced and it has good hipfire accuracy.

The soas-20 is another story it's a totally different kind of gameplay.
  10. Runegrace

If you're going SOAS, main thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to be moving while firing as it kills the accuracy. I'd suggest a foreward grip and a 1x (keeps you from engaging outside of effective range). I usually crouch, aim for head, hold trigger and decloak. Drop the target then move. Definitely don't put a suppressor on it since you'll ruin the range advantage it has over SMGs.

Which is really what is wrong with the MKV. Taking the best long-range SMG and then adding an attachment that destroys the range advantage just results in a bad gun. Shuriken is basically the Armstice with extended mags, it's more for prestige than anything.
  11. Dualice

Yup, that's why I'm interested in it :) When I'm not sniping with my infil I'm SMG-ing, and would like something in between.

I unlocked it a little earlier this evening (the SOAS), and have the grip and 2x sight on at present. I've seen some with a compensator but don't find the vertical recoil bad enough to warrant it, plus the extra detection range is a big no-no for me. I avoid the suppressor for the reason you mentioned, it just kills the range. Biggest challenge I've got with it so far is knowing how many targets to engage: if one drops fast I'll switch to another but often run out of bullets before the second one goes down.
  12. Grumblefern

Underrated weapon. Generic weapon sound + suppressor + high accuracy for an SMG makes it a very flexible weapon well suited for infil or LA that like stealthy kill streaks. Being unnoticed is something that's hard to judge the value you of at first but can make a big difference - you'll be surprised I think. You have to have good aim to make up for the lackluster TTK with headshots though, although having good hip-fire sometimes makes up for the higher TTK on its own.
  13. Mxiter

A somewhat good all around SMG if you like supressors.

It's the closest thing to the T5 amc withe better hipfiring and supressor (yes i auraxed the T5 with supressor)

Used the MKV with extended mag & SPA mostly as infiltrator.
  14. Runegrace

It's an assassin weapon, usually takes down a single target. Maybe two if the recoil is in your favor. Whenever you have more than one enemy that you're getting the jump on lead with an EMP grenade. It will make it harder to figure out where you are plus drops their shields for easier kills. SOAS has more than enough ammo when it only takes half as many bullets to kill someone.

I never went with a barrel attachment. Compensator makes you easier to detect plus hurts your hipfire, not worth it on that weapon I feel. Gun was overall a joy to aurax, once I finish up other weapons I'm looking forward to using it on Infil again.
  15. Runegrace

Taking the carbine with best-in-class muzzle velocity and putting a suppressor on it? Blasphemy.
  16. Dualice

As I'm discovering! I've found it really excels in open-field, mid-ranged combat. Was tangling with the NC between Quartz Ridge and Hvar this afternoon and it did great - got some good streaks, and was generally really fun. My process is usually crouch, acquire a target, de-cloak, kill, cloak, move (whilst reloading), then repeat.

Still need an SMG for CQ though, so MKV is most likely on the cards. I can see its up-sides certainly - it'll be quite nice to have a suppressed SMG with a 15m max damage range (with SPA).
  17. Mxiter

It's because it have the highest velocity that it can support the supressor until higher ranges than others weapons.
  18. Person7man

I just finished auraxing the MKV and can safely and objectively say it is far worse than the PDW, AND is probably one of the worst weapons in the game. The PDW has great damage dropoff range, and can be bursted with great accuracy. The MLV does not have that option. Furthermore, the RPM increase from the PDW doesn't really help at all. The 2nd gen SMG's have better damage dropoff, higher SPM anyway, and have actual attachments without the stupid suppressor. IMO if the MKV's suppressor was detachable or if the velocity was not affected in any way, or if it had 143 damage, then that would be much better
  19. Runegrace

Whenever I use SPA on a suppressed weapon it feels like I'm using a garden hose if I ever try to hit a moving target. Though maybe the MKV would handle better due to the custom velocity values…might try it. The other thread on the Hailstorm got me using it with laser and flash suppressor, which has been working really well for me.
  20. FieldMarshall

Give it the ability to have a barrel attachment in addition to the suppressor. Then it will truly be unique.
    Lower its velocity/mag/reload or something like that so the PDW doesent become obsolete