Anniversary bundle compared to Alpha squad

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kite Carling, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Kite Carling

I think the anniversary offer is a bit weak to be honest, I would have preferred a station cash multiplier offer of the old school type (x 3). Especially when compared to the Alpha Squad package: both cost 40 USD (I acknowledge this assumes no SC multipliers for the anniversary bundle: but it's been a while since I've seen such an offer) so here's a side-by-side comparison:

Station credit
    Alpha Squad: 4000 SC
    Anniversary: 0 SC

Boosts
    Alpha Squad: 3 x 6 month (50% to XP and Resources)
    Anniversary: 1 x 6 month. (50% to XP only)

Guns and Launchers
    Alpha Squad: 12 guns (4 per empire: SR, AR, LMG & carbine)
    Anniversary: 9 guns (3 per empire: SR, AR & carbine) & 3 launchers (gold ESRLs)

Camo and decals
    Alpha Squad: camo and decals, all empires
    Anniversary: camo and decals, single empire

And don't forget, these guns come one year after release, so many of us have several already (I have 6 of the guns and all the regular colour launchers).

It feels like this deal rewards people who haven't played the game over the last year.
    • Up x 9
  2. f0d

if you purchase through the website you get the items on all characters with the anniversary pack
    i got 6 heroic boosts and camo/decals on all empires/characters

but apart from that yeah alpha squad was a good deal - originally it was only a 10% boost but they upped it to 50%, i missed out on it because of this (if it was 50% from the beginning i would have jumped on it)
  3. TheBlindFreak

On reddit, they said they fixed the issue with the camo not showing up cross faction.
  4. Emeere

Really? If you purchase it on the website you get the weapons across all factions? I wish someone had told me that before I bought it ingame....
  5. SpaceKing

you're all a bunch of whiners
  6. Kite Carling

Is this true for sure? SOE are masters of changing crap around. You get a heroic boost on *all* characters? This would change everything as far as I'm concerned.
  7. JonboyX

Is it not always the case that you offer a better deal for an unknown product than you do for a known one. That's the whole venture capital premise is it not?
    • Up x 2
  8. Inex

Or to just a straight 6 month sub.

Boosts -
    Anni : 6 month 50% XP Boost for one character
    Sub : 6 month 50% XP and Resource boost for all characters (and 3 extra character slots to boot)
    Winner? Sub. By a country mile.

Price -
    Anni : $40
    Sub : $71, rewards $30 worth of SC for a (ok, fine... you probably get screwed out of the last $5 worth if you cancel your sub at the end)
    Winner? Draw. You might not be able to afford the sub all at once, but the extra cost is almost entirely given back in SC.

Guns -
    Anni : 6x 250 cert guns, 3x 1,000 cert rifles, 3x 1,000 cert ESRLs (value of 2,500 certs per faction)
    Sub : No guns, but ~1000 passive certs per month per character (though you have to be dedicated with your logins to get the whole benefit) so you can buy that entire set of guns about 10 weeks into your 26 week sub. You can spend the rest of the time wondering what you're going to do with the other 4,000 certs.
    Winner? Sub. Again, no contest here.

Cosmetics -
    Anni : One camo, one decal, applies to everything. I honestly have no idea if camo unlocks are account wide, so this is somewhere between $21-63 (ish?).
    Sub : $30 in SC can be applied to this, may or may not cover what you want. But you do get a choice of which camos/decals you want (or lumifiber, or hubcaps, or more weapons, or boosts.... )
    Winner? Unless you absolutely need a new decal to be hidden by your composite armor, Sub wins.

Basically this anniversary bundle comes down to "Do I want to pay $40 for gold trim rocket launchers?"

My advice to SOE:
    1) Make the boosts account wide like the sub.
    2) Gold trim everything. Gold trim the camo if you have to.
    3) Stop putting the 500 SC guns in bundles. Why would I pay $5 for a 250 cert purchase when you've set the bar for the 1,000 cert guns at $7?
  9. Lakora

3 Heroic boosts? With alpha package?!

That's can't be right... o_O I only got 2... 1st one being the 10% one n then a substitute for when they changed it to 50% but I never got 3 50% boosts.
  10. Kite Carling

Petition it. I definitely received 3 alpha boosts. Each was originally 10% only, but then increased to 50% XP and resources. Maybe because I had three character slots open? Mind you, we got the alpha squad bundle before release, so that can't be it.

Petition it Lakora.
  11. Regpuppy

So, you're comparing what was essentially a founders pack to some event pack? Founders packs being a better deal was the whole point of them getting them so early in the game's development. The player is often taking a greater "risk" than paying into a game that's already running.

A better comparison is against deals that were made since launch. Like when the heroic boost was initially added in. When you compare it to the heroic boosts usual price, you end up saving ten bucks. Even more when you compare it to regularly buying into the current ingame boosts. Everything else on top of that is gravy/collectors items. You can compare this to membership, I guess, but since this stacks on top of membership's bonus it's often worthwhile for members able to pay.

All in all, if you don't like it just don't buy it. I personally don't feel the need for xp boosts anymore and I don't care for the collectors phoenix, so I didn't.
  12. Calisai

If you had the alpha bundle, each new character you create is created with a 6-month alpha boost on it. (I've even deleted and re-created a new character recently and it had it on it). A nice bonus for those who supported the game in the early months and stuck with it.
    • Up x 1
  13. Lakora

Aaah, then I probably missunderstood I hope lol. Since all my characters so far have gotten 1 6-month Alpha boost, sounded like it was 3 alpha boosts on a single character.
  14. Calisai

Yea, I think he meant he got an alpha boost for each of the 3 characters he created (each character slot). In actuality, you can have as many as you want, if you delete and re-add a character... ( although that would wipe out 6 months of XP gain... o_O )

I only know that because I wanted to switch one of my alts from one server to another... so deleted my lowest level and saw that even the newly created one had the boost waiting to be used. All in all... i'm very happy with my Alpha squad purchase... definitely has paid off over the long-haul. It's also one of the reasons I didn't have a problem putting a bit more cash into SC lately... I knew I got a decent deal with the alpha squad, so it doesn't feel so bad spending money on SC.
  15. Lakora

I have to agree with that I knew I got one for each new character but the way he worded it wasn't the best... I have to admit I've spent more money on SC then I've spent on any P2P game there is lol. N I don't feel bad about it at all. x2/x3 sc sales. o_O
  16. f0d

not any more
    when they had "store troubles" and patched the game they took out the boosts for all characters and its only for 1 character now
  17. St0mpy

• Station cash sales are decided and run from an SOE office higher than the individual game teams, its not higbys/smeds decision and they cant just make another x? sale because its the PS2 anniversary.
    Then all games in the SOE f2p portfolio will have to have their own x? day too, add holidays and promotions SC would be constantly on and off sale and few would buy at the base rate again.
    • The alpha squad camos werent camo in the traditional sense, it was a garish faction one colour affair which I hated but these anniversary camos are really nice.
    • They cant give SC when the price is in SC, alpha squad was a cash only prelaunch product
    • The major part of alpha squad (for me) was name reservation which doesnt have an anniversary equivalent.
  18. faykid

and that is exactly what they were going for
    fair deal - they do need to care about new players, we all need new players, and the veterans already have everything they need, and most of them don't even need boosts since they played for a year and most probably don't need certs anymore
  19. orionite

Hm, I did buy through the website and I only received 1 boost on my main character... I used it, so I can't say if it was available to my other chars before I did...

Can anyone confirm whether they received 1 or more boosts with the Anniversary pack?
  20. f0d

they fixed it just before the first hotfix - you only get one now
    i wish i could edit that post :(