Anchor Tradeoff

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SolemnSeraph, Mar 22, 2015.

1. SolemnSeraph

Every gun in PS2 has a tradeoff. For every strength, it has a shortcoming. But after a few days with the Anchor, I'm failing to see any of the latter. Maybe it's supposed to be the mag size, but as someone who reloads all of the time and gets consistent headshots, I find that the reduced reload from the smaller mag is more of a benefit. I have yet to use a gun that even comes close to the Anchor, and tbh, it's making me uncomfortable. I might just stop using it because my kills per life have tripled. It's straight up unfair.

Anybody know where this gun doesn't succeed?
  2. DashRendar

Range. It has shorter range than other NC LMGs due to its recoil. It does have very applicable strengths if you are a CQ headshotter, many guns do, but if you are not, it is a pretty average gun.
    • Up x 2
  3. Prudentia

Convincing people that it is better than the Orion
    ofcourse highly subjective
    • Up x 7
  4. DashRendar

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  5. Prudentia

i already edited in something i forgot right after i posted ;)
  6. zombielores

It's not as good as other LMG's at range, mainly the EM6 considering that it gets both the Compensator and the Extended Mag. It's also not as good in CQC compared to something like the Cyclone [the cyclone is so good for a CQC 167 SMG] or the 143/750 because it doesn't have as good bullet saturation or DPS to compete in CQC.

What the Anchor excels at is versatility, there are better options out there for CQC [in the form of Jackhammer or Cyclone] and better options for ranged combat [like GD-22S, EM6, Saw, or Saw-S].
  7. BIllyGG

it's reload is slow as hell, it gets on my nerves
    • Up x 1
  8. Scr1nRusher

A rage post about the Anchor?

I've seen it all.
    • Up x 5
  9. Goldmonk

You magnificent *******, you.
  10. HadesR

Not a very well disguised " nerf " thread ...
    • Up x 1
  11. Onhil

Did people get bored of making nerf Orion threads and now they just went to the Anchor. This Forum in a nutshell thats what I say.

Then again the only place where the Anchor does not succed is at ranges further than around ca. 90m though I rarely see a deticated HA fight at that range anywas
    • Up x 4
  12. Moonheart

Which is a weird thing when a simple request on Oracle of Death shows that the Anchor is 33% more efficient than the Orion (Anchor is almost at 40 KPH against the 29 KPH Orion.

I think the Anchor just fails because it's not labeled as a VS weapon. "VS" tag makes every weapon OP, as you know.
  13. Klypto

You are forgetting that the Orion is a starter LMG used by a significantly wider audience by a factor of 6 whereas the Anchor needs to be purchased with certs by those who more than likely know what they are doing.

The average BR for the Anchor is 75, where the Orion average is 35.
    • Up x 6
  14. Erendil

I'm confused. The Anchor has the lowest horizontal recoil, horizontal tolerance, and moving ADS values you can get on an LMG. It also has lower vertical recoil than the SAW, SAW S, and EM6. So what about its recoil (or any other aspect of the weapon) makes it worse at range than other NC LMGs? I don't own it, but I've played around w/ it in VR and found it to be pretty close in terms of effective range w/ the other NC LMGs.

Is it the recoil angle?

-----

IMO the Anchor's tradeoff is that it's designed to be the NC's CQC LMG, but its TTK up close is a little bit slower than the TR/VS CQC LMGs (Orion/CARV/MSW-R). It also doesn't have the .75x moving ADS of the Orion nor the mag size of the CARV. So for CQC work its at a slight disadvantage unless you can consistently land headshots.
    • Up x 1
  15. InoxGecko

lol, you have no idea what you're talking about do you.
  16. AmitGr

I totally agree with you, but it seems it also slightly better in Q4KPH (and similarly on BR100 KPH):
    http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=q4kph&weapon1=7236&weapon2=79&weapon3=80

So, while it does explain 33% margin, it does not explain the remaining 5-10% margin.

PS, not claiming it's OP at all, just still misunderstanding the Orion OP claim . If any, seems like Carv is UP and needs some minor buff.
  17. TheKhopesh

The default weapons are difficult to gauge, as everyone gets one, and most people just pull HA and spam bullets when they first start out, or simply can't get the job done otherwise.

This is not an accurate comparison of the Orion to the Anchor simply for this reason.

Orion is free, and people will settle for it (Especially F2P players who don't wanna drop 1,000 certs into a different LMG, so they stick with it, even trying to use it at range).
    Where as the Anchor is 1,000 certs, and by the time players reach the point where they want to purchase it, they've got some decent aim.
  18. keqe

I think the problem with the anchor is that even if you slap ALS on it, it is still extremely accurate in comparison to many LMG with foregrip attached. It can be fitted to be a total CQC beast and still be really effective at range. Orion might be effective at close with laser and midranges with grip but it can't be both with being super effective. Soft point is also a very strong point of the weapon.

Anchor is really strong but I wouldn't say it is OP nonetheless. It's problem is just it being to good at places it shouldn't be that good.
    • Up x 1
  19. DramaticExit

The Anchor is a 1000 cert weapon that people don't normally get until they are much more experienced.

The Orion is free, and is used by people on their first day. See the difference, and why this stat might be a little tiny bit skewed and unrepresentative of the balance between the two weapons?
  20. Klypto

The VS have the option to upgrade to the Battlegoose where the NC do not have an Anchor variant. The top level handful of Orion users go into that separate weapons group lowering the Orion average while the NC stay with the anchor. It's especially noticeable when you fight DA, AC, ZAPS, etc as nearly all are using it.

The SAW class weapons are used to farm and slaughter the average and mundane players because it is better at managing large numbers with little return flinch from their bad aim. However, you will have a better time using an Anchor or similar class weapon to compete with top tier players using Orion, MSRW, SV-88, etc. So what happens is the NC will occasionally switch between the two depending on the situation but the VS just use the same weapon.
    • Up x 1