[Suggestion] An Open Memorandum to Nanite Systems on the need for a Low-profile IFV.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Solvayn, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Solvayn

Evening Auraxians. I'm writing this report to Nanite Systems from the Terran Republic to outline the need for visiting concepts for a Low Profile IFV.

Here I will list a few current problems we have found on the battlefield with the current S-AMS [Sunderer Advanced Mobile Station] and its defiency in providing fast transport to the frontline and outlining it's size and concerns that have developed in the battlefield.

1. The S-AMS Platform is currently too slow, due to its armor quality, to be considered a fast transport. In recent trial tests, it took 9 seconds for the S-AMS to go from 0-70 kmph. Preferably would we would like this transport to be not far behind in speed to compare with our harassers.
    2. The S-AMS Platform has a profile that is taller than Main Battle Tanks of our Prowler Main Battle Tanks, or even those of Vanguard and Magrider Main Battle Tanks.
    3. Due to the excessively large profile of the S-AMS. It is difficult to angle the transport's fire support weapons to a lower elevation and we have seen seldom use for the rear gun in the field.
    4. During mass movements of allied forces, we find we have too many S-AMS transports and have difficult in deploying and feel we have an over investment in the Sunderer's capability to "spawn" in allied forces.

Therefore, our proposal is to develop a lighter, faster lower profile, troop transport with a single turret weapon. If your engineers cannot find the space to support the AMS system or deem that a lighter armored transport is not suitable to hold an advanced, and expensive, troop deployment system. The removal of that system will will be acceptable and we will maintain the purchasing of the S-AMS for its unique platform. However we ask that you maintain the height to be no greater than our Main Battle Tanks so the enemies do not possess the ability to engage our troop transports with soldiers inside when they are a larger target than our Main Battle Tanks.

Therefore, this report will outline the unique needs for fast transport with the following:
    1. Lower cost for nanites than the S-AMS.
    2. 0-70kmph, or greater speed, should be achieved within at least half of the time of the S-AMS.
    3. Be able to transport at least 5 soldiers excluding the driver and gunner.
    4. Light Weapons mounted on the turret section will only be needed since we intending for this vehicle to take on enemy infantry. Weapons such as the M20 Basilisk, M12 Kobalt, G30 Walker, and the M40 Grenade Launcher. If we can mount our faction specific weapons, it will be a welcomed addition.
    5. Height should be comparable to Main Battle Tanks whose movements are based on the ground so our transports can take cover behind allied vehicles, espessially since they will have less armor than Main Battle Tanks or the S-AMS.

Responses from all Auraxians on this concept are welcome.
    Colonel Solvayn Lance, Terran Republic
    • Up x 2
  2. Blam320

I would welcome reworking the PS1 "SUV" vehicles into proper IFVs. A six-wheeled transport for the TR similar to modern IFVs, a tracked vehicle similar to the Rhino from Warhammer 40k for the NC, and a hover-vehicle for the VS. The NS version could be a modified ANT that has a higher troop carry capacity in exchange for no Cortium mining and transport abilities.
    • Up x 2
  3. InexoraVC

TL;DR Add infantry deploy ability for an ANT.
    • Up x 2
  4. Demigan

There is currently too little reason to use (ground) transports aside from a quick ride to the next base. An IFV would need to do more than be a transport if it wants to be of any use.

The game lacks any combined arms incentives. Tanks shooting infantry or the other way around isnt combined arms. Combined arms is one arm of an army (infantry, vehicles, airceaft) supporting another in a mutually beneficial relationship.

In history the first great steps in combined arms were when tanks started getting too far ahead from their infantry, and would be too vulnerable to flanking attacks or strikes at their supply lines. For this purpose Mechanized Infantry was developed (or rather emerged). These were infantry troops mounted on light vehicles meant to keep up with the tanks, then dismount for combat.
    Modern examples of combined arms are for example a scout helicopter designating targets for artillery, tanks suppressing enemy infantry to allow theirs to move up and push them back in order for the tanks to have safer passage, infantry designating targets for airstrikes etc.

The IFV needs to feed into that. Rather than a vehicle that is abandoned when infantry reach their destination, the infantry and IFV need reasons to stick together and support each other. Otherwise we would see teams using ANT's as IFV's, but we dont.

An IFV would need to buff infantry nearby it. For example it has an internal power supply that powers up to 4 special infantry weapons that the infantry can equip from a terminal on the vehicle. The weapon only works at a close proximity of the vehicle, and you can have a variety of equipment available. Powerful repair tools to make the IFV useful for supporting tanks, some anti-infantry oriented weapons, some AV weapons, some AA weapons and something to provide protections like a shield wall and aerial shield.

The IFV itself also needs to be useful and preferably offer a unique playstyle. Having a vehicle that copies existing vehicles isnt useful. I would imagine something like a Centauro II as a tank destroyer or wielding a light weapon designed against infantry and light armor like Harassers and ESF. You could base it off of an auto-canon. You could combine traits from weapons that technically are auto-canons in game like the Saron, Enforcer and Viper.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/Centauro01.JPEG/1280px-Centauro01.JPEG

The only other thing an IFV could be useful for is as an alternative spawnpoint. Sacrificing the hardened armor of a Sunderer for a smaller and faster profile to get into positions Sunderers cannot reach, but at a higher risk of destruction.
    • Up x 2
  5. VelmaBlackburn

I mean with some different attachments you could convert the ANT into an lFV, though the profile would still be on the bigger side.

I am thinking along the lines of a shield projector that assists infantry advancing, while providing covering fire with its mounted gun. I think I saw a concept on reddit about a tank with a similar function the "ATLAS" if my mind does not deceive me.