[Suggestion] An idea to make carbines more viable

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by LegoFarmer, May 28, 2013.

1. LegoFarmer

For a while now, LA users have wanted to be granted the ability to use assault rifles hence the name of "Light ASSAULT". I feel that we would lose so many medics in that event, so I came across a thread earlier saying that carbines should be buffed, and I agree. I began to think of a way to make them more unique to compensate for their lower levels. I came up with an idea of a carbine-only attachment, that being the shoulder stock. The shoulder stock could cost 100-200 certification points. The benefit of the shoulder stock would be greater ADS in terms of accuracy; however, it will interfere with hipfire CoF and obviously increase the time to weild the weapon. I honestly think this would silence the carbine users, Post opinions!
  2. Joe_da_cro

carbines are only worse to ARs with range damage the rest of the stats are either equal or in favour of carbines. i fail to see why anything needs to be done.
    • Up x 1
  3. KnightCole

Carbines are the CQC gods of this game, 2nd to SMG and shottys.

Slap a laser on them and they are plenty good enough.

Dont try to snipe with your Carbine and you wont have issues.
  4. vaxx

How do you figure that? AR's and LMG's both have good CQC options as well with a laser sight.

Sick of people like this who don't play LA, let alone use carbines make assumptions on what LA should or shouldn't have. Having a longer range option is far from "sniping with a carbine".
  5. KnightCole

Yes, ARs and LMGs have a CQC option, but the Carbine is better at it. Meanwhile, the AR and LMGs are better at distance, but while can be effective in CQC, a Carbine is the better CQC option. The roles should not be mixed in such a way that it totally negates the other. Making the LMG good in CQC and Range would just be wrong, as making the Carbine good at CQC and Range would be wrong.

The Carbine is not meant for long range, therefore, while maybe you can do it, it shouldnt be terribly effective at it.

If it wasnt for overshields, you would truly see tht LMGs are actually really bad guns in this game in CQC. Its the shield of the HA that wins in CQC, not so much the gun.

Carbines and ARs are about equal, but the Medic gets a little heal thing that might end up giving them the tiny advantage that pulls out the win.

I do have a AF19 certed with a Laser sight and compared to the LMGs, yeah, its worlds more accurate in hipfire and CQC. For an LMG to be good in CQC you must zoom it and therefore lose speed. HTe Carbines just hipfire and keep the speed of not having to ADS.
  6. Wolfwood82

One thing I wish people would do is look up the definition of sniping some time. "To shoot a target of opportunity from a concealed or distant location". Lotta misconceptions from that.
  7. HeadshotVictim

sure, you can be a sniper with a Flame-Thrower, but I think most people understand "sniping" as a long range, high-precision shot.
    So, as far as everyone thinks the same about the word "sniping" there is no misconception. :D

Carbines are good, but not at 200m against the NC Gauss Saw. Deal with it.
    There may be CQC options for LMGs but I don't think that LA get outclassed by AR or LMGs in CQC.

There is nothing to do with Carbines in my opinion, just get used to them. What you can kill with these "underpowered" guns is incredible. You just need:
    LOCATION!
    LOCATION!
    LOCATION!

got it? :D
  8. LegoFarmer

After a few hours of testing, I have concluded that they are similar, you can customize a gun like the Trac 5-S to replicate the default assault rifle with just a bit more compensation, which I guess is fair. I still think a shoulder stock would be a great feature in the future light assault revamp, If not, we should be able to carry two weapons w/o the pistol. To compensate for that, lower JJ travel with both types
  9. Joe_da_cro

like i said the only thing you cannot do with a carbine is gain that range damage tier which is the only down point for carbines. LAs do not need an AR becuase when a LA shoots he should be killing. and becuase of that you will be in generally advantageous positions in which having the AR damage would not really make a difference. BUT when someone gets the jump on you in cqc we have carbines which are better than AR at hip fire.
  10. Wolfwood82

That in itself is a misconception. It doesn't become true simply because everyone in the world thinks it's true. It just makes everyone in the world feel foolish when they discover the truth, and thus attempt to justify it with silly comments like this.
  11. HeadshotVictim

@wolfwood82
    problem is:
    All of the high-precision rifles in this game are called:
    SNIPER Rifles...
    obviously there is a nomenclature in this game stating that Sniper Rifles are actually rifles for long range, high precision shooting.
    Whatever may be the true meaning of sniping, in this games context it obviously means:
    high range, high precision shooting.

You have to go on on everything, right? Where ever someone is you actually find a way of disagreeing. Opening side-battles meaningless to the topic... I think it is best, when I simply ignore all of your future statements
  12. Rosicintes

The Carbine weapon class is awful. The developer team recently did a "balance" pass on a lot of carbines but it is not enough to fix the imbalance that exists in this game. The inclusion of the Shotguns & SMG's has done nothing to help this. (The Carbines have been invalidated by the SMG & Shotgun weapons.)

The problem is that now: any class has access to powerful short range CQC weapons - and while the Light Assault has access to these weapons also - the Light Assault has NO decent long range or medium range weapons. As a short ranged operator, the Light Assault faces competition from almost every other class- in CQC. (Even the long ranged Snipers can play in CQC.) The Light Assault class has no unique weapon choices to out match any opponent at any range. Everyone can equip a CQC weapon and some class load-outs have excellent medium & long range choices. (Equipping a LA is like a roulette wheel of short ranged weapons.)

I am not sure if assault rifles will help Light Assault- but I am sure that the Carbine weapons need another balance pass.

Some of the replies in this thread are jaw-dropping nonsense.

&

13. vaxx

This is the truth. 100% agree.
  14. Suiradezza

I think that buffing carbines will just get them too close to AR's and that takes some of the incentive out of playing medic. Then, if you don't buff them enough the changes won't be noticeable.
  15. HeadshotVictim

I think carbines are fine.
    No need for AR on Light Assaults. Seriously.
    They have their use. Not for long range where a lot more weapons are usable, but in close to mid range, where they (in my opinion) excel. They have a good hip fire (most of them, and even the bad ones aren't too bad at hipfiring).
    Carbines may be beatin by shotguns and SMGs (available also for LA) in close range and AR, LMG in long range.
    But in between they are good.
    I don't see any use of AR on LA. I also don't see any reason for a carbine buff. (Profiting the most of it would be engineers anyway).
    If you don't like carbines, use SMG or shotty.
    If you want long range combat: play something else.
    LA can sit at pertt weird places, giving them long range weapons would cause imbalance beyon measure...

TL,DR:
    Stop crying, get used to carbines
  16. Botji

I mainly play engineer and "only" have about 1500 kills with the Scythe wich is by far the highest I have on any of the vehicles(2nd place is Magrider wich has below 400 kills). Compare that with my 2 highest infantry weapons: 2100 kills with the VX6-7 and close to 1100 kills with the Solstice SF, both are carbines. K/D if it matters, 2.86.

The only problem with carbines that I can see is with long range wich is as it should be, they could even take a little nerf and that many of them eat through your ammo really quickly... Main reason why engineer is so good, you dont run out of ammo.

I mean I can use carbines fine so there is nothing wrong with them... and if you arent VS dont even try to pull that card because I have characters on all 3 factions, VS is my main but I can say that both NC and TRs starting carbines are both really good and never have I died and thought: If only I had *insert weapon* instead!
  17. Marinealver

Light assault should not have access to full sized weapons. being a jetpack thus futuristic airborne unit, weapon mobility would be more valuable then weapon stability.

Take a common weapon. the AK47 Full sized on top and known for its robust and fairly decent accuracy.
    [IMG]
    Now look at the bottom paratrooper variant also known as the AKM.

Now the AKM does loose stability and a little range. Just as the M4 was developed for more mobile ops with troops deploying from helicopters and parachutes in mind the sacrificed the range and stability for mobility and ease of handling.

Thus I am against giving the Light Assaults anything such as a Shotgun, Assault Rifle, Battle Rifle, Sniper Rifle (for obvious reasons)

They can have Carbines, SMG (which I believe should be the starting weapon and LA should be able to akimbo) and Pistols (again Akimbo?).
  18. Rosicintes

I think you are all missing the point - I think we all agree that carbines are not long range weapons, the problem is - Light Assault has no other option- we can melt faces, up close with SMG's/Shotguns or Carbines. ( Snipers can get short range CQC weapons, but heaven forbid a Light Assault has a long range or even a medium range option?) We can argue how useful carbines are in CQC, and even which carbines are the best but, the fact is that Light Assault has few options when it comes to choosing a range to engage the enemy. Which is not a problem with any of the other Classes.

I buy into the whole mobility as a design aspect for carbine weapons - but in Planetside 2 the Carbine weapon class, as a whole, gets no movement bonus, no bonus equip times- the Carbine is a weapon with bad damage drop-off. (Some Assault Rifles have better ADS movement than a bulk of the entire Carbine weapon class. )
  19. Ronin Oni

LA's will never get assault or battle rifles.

Get over it.

Carbines function EXACTLY as they are supposed to.
  20. Wolfwood82

Knight said "don't try to snipe with your carbine". However, by every definition of the word imaginable, and in every thread loaded with suggestions for what you should do as LA, you should do exactly that. Snipe people from rooftops, from behind, from angles, from trees, from anywhere that is not ground level and easily spotted...

Seriously, you are going to deny the fact that a LA hiding in a tree taking out targets that he sees is not sniping... Go ahead, deny it... Use your self taught definition that adds the words "with a high-powered high-precision rifle" that doesn't seem to exist in any dictionary, at least that I've seen.

PS: I love the cowardly @wolfwood82 move. Couldn't actually reply could you? Naw, I might actually be able to respond and defend my statement against a weak argument like "it's game context!?!?!?". You accuse me of starting a side argument when all I said was that I wished people would look up the definition. You're the one that decided to try and argue the point. Likely regretting it now since you're playing the "blind respond, then avoid" card.

And this is why I'm on the fence on the issue. On one hand, I'd like a wider range of weapons to use and more tactics/strategies. On the other, I think LA are good as they are (the issues they have make sense for mobile infantry) and don't need ARs or BRs or whatever else people might suggest.

Also we can already use shotguns.