AMR usage

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by KuroNoKitsune, Jun 5, 2015.

1. KuroNoKitsune

Since the Anti-Material rifle is coming to engineers instead of infiltrators (the class that would have benefited the most from the weapon since despite being specialized in Anti-infantry but usually falling short of every other class in that regard), I've been wondering but, how many engineers are actually going to use it when you already have access to anti tank mines, C4, and an AV turret that does so much more damage, and can be guided.
    • Up x 1
  2. _itg

c4 and AT mines aren't going to work on distant MAXes, and the AV turret is a deathtrap in most situations. I expect to buy the AMR and use it when I'm an outdoor engineer not far from a sunderer, maybe from the top level of tower bases, and possibly certain spawn rooms. These are all situations where you can expect to see distant MAXes and shouldn't be at great personal risk (except from snipers, which I hope I can counter by dancing around like a madman between shots and firing too fast for the average bush wookie to get a bead on me), because of nearby allies. You'll notice I named locations all near infantry terminals, because I think this is a weapon you'd want to pull to deal with a specific threat and then put away, rather than a gun you want to carry around for general use.
    • Up x 1
  3. SW0V

This is why I'm on a crusade to get it moved into the engineers turret slot, instead of the primary slot.

If it goes live as a primary weapon, I won't be buying it, if it gets moved to the turret slot, I'll be buying it as soon as it is released.
    • Up x 3
  4. Deffington

So I'm not the only one? Great! I tried it on test server, can't imagine I would have to run with it all the time.
  5. _itg

I think it will be way too obnoxious if you can carry the AMR with no downside. The turrets are all so bad/situational that every engineer of means will have the AMR at all times.
  6. Casterbridge

When this weapon was first posted about (on reddit of course) and they asked how it should be implemented I suggested it should be offered in the turret slot, sadly I was in the minority.

To some extent I agree with you, thing is it's currently a problem with turret design overall, we should want to pull turrets in areas we want to lock down and defend, we should want to pull something like the AMR when we want to be on the move, pushing into a point or working on the field.
  7. Chunkalish

I will be one of the engies getting this on day one. It is definitely a situational weapon and I can see plenty of areas to use a load-out with this in it. With the latestest change on test, 2 shot HKs vs infantry, it has become even more useful. I would prefer an increase in damage vs. ESFs and Harassers, but will take what I can get.
  8. NexusOfCrisis

Every thread I've seen about the AMR so far has someone in it complaining that the Infil should get this weapon simply because they have deemed it a "sniper rifle". So because it has a high powered scope it automatically should be an Infil weapon despite it's intended use? Its bad enough you cant stand still for 2 seconds without having you skull emptied onto the ground. Do you really want the hills full of invisible threats able to take out light armor at will too? At close range this thing only takes 2 headshots to down a MAX... Way too easy a feat for a class that can cloak and run circles around a slow, clumsy MAX suit.

As far as I can tell, and how Daybreak is describing it, this weapons primary role will be anti MAX. Dealing with armor has always been the role of the engineer with Heavy's filling in the gaps. I don't care what terminal it came out of, anything that has almost as many hit points as a Harasser and an 80% small arms resistance is not infantry.

On top of that now we're gonna complain that it takes up the primary weapon slot? Being able to finally deal with the never ending Raven spam (THE most irritating sound in the game BTW) isn't enough for everybody, cuz you still want moar dakka too.

Its's not like any of it matters anyways because we all know that as soon as enough people buy it, and the NC start crying that they're not the kings of long range spam anymore, DBG is gonna nerf this thing into uselessness in a month. Well.. maybe two at the rate we're getting updates lately.
    • Up x 1
  9. teks

I'll take it. Maxes are the greatest threat to the team so its worth the sacrifice. It'd definitely be OP in the turret slot, which is a slot reserved for, you know, turrets. Might as well ask for it to be put in the grenade slot.
  10. Tanelorn

I guarantee this AMR is going to cause massive rage. Imagine pulling a 450 resource raven, setting up in a good position to support your team, and being instakilled by 2 snipers who fire an AMR at the same time. Infantry is free. Having a long range weapon mounted on an invisible soldier that can 2-hit kill a 400 resource enemy is severely imbalanced.
  11. Neo3602

The thing is that the AMR is only available for the Engineer not the Infiltrator.
  12. RedArmy

lets be honest - the AM7 is comming out to combat the ravens camping on hillsides. it wont have any impact on indoors, this is where tank mines come in.... people whining about maxes and now we get anti-max overload
    • Up x 1