AMD 8120FX Overclocking

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Milestone, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Milestone

I decided to try to overclock my CPU to see if I would get higher FPS. I didn't even really overclock it by much, only to about 3.6gz and I got the complete opposite of what I expected. When I started to run at 3.6gz my frames dropped like a bomb to like 15 FPS and would jump all over the place, it was awful, completely unplayable. Then I brought my CPU back down to 2.8GZ and it started to run perfectly smooth again like it used to. FPS would read at about 40-50 in big fights and run smooth, no lag, nothing. When I overclocked to 3.6 I couldn't even look around at the warpgate it was so bad. My GPU is a Geforce GTX 560 TI. Any ideas on why my frames drop instead of increase when I overclock my CPU ? Super confused lol
  2. Tatwi

The issue is most likely the voltage regulators on your motherboard starving your CPU of power. The FX line of CPUs draw a lot of power. When I upgraded to an FX 8320 I had to buy a new power supply to use all 8 cores, as it would crash the system trying to draw more current than my older (yet high quality) power supply was designed for.

Have a read through this article to learn what I am referring to.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ever...ut-the-motherboard-voltage-regulator-circuit/

After that, pop over to the following guide to learn more about overclocking, as it requires more than just moving some numbers in your BIOS.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

Good luck to you.
    • Up x 1
  3. user300115

I second the opinion above. The voltages regulators on cheaper boards tend to overheat while overclocking the AMD FX eight cores. As counter measurement the CPU clocks down to prevent damage. That is the frame variance you are seeing.
  4. Veerian

I have had this same problem for years when I overclock. I also have an Nvidia card. I run many high intense graphics games without any issues what so ever but when I run PS2 I have to turn off the overclocking else all objects jump all over the place. I do not think I have a framerate issue but will have to go verify this. My power supply is more more than adequate for my computer so I do not see this as the issue. I was really hoping someone had and answer here as I have been researching this issues for years and cannot find anything on it and I have tried many things.

I hope someone has some new insight.