Ambient occlusion

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Hatamoto, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Hatamoto

i have a feeling ambient occlusion shouldnt eat 20 fps when enabled (if it was properly optimized) ... in the warpgate fps is 100-120 fps without ambient occlusion, enabling it instantly drops fps to 85-90. So how about it SOE, any room for improvement here ya think?
  2. LibertyRevolution

I don't see that same hit your getting. It doesn't change my framerate at all. 80 with it on, 80 with it off.

Then again, the only way I see 120fps is if I look up at the sky...
  3. Dragam

*sigh* it obviously wont change your fps, when you are cpu limited...

Im guessing OP is gpu limited if the is seeing a difference in fps, and if so, then he may take a big hit.
  4. LibertyRevolution

I am always [CPU] limited. I have an AMDx6 1090t and a GTX570. Thing never says [GPU]. :(
    I have vsync on normally, had to turn it off to shoot this one. 60 is my normal max fps anyways...

I don't think I would care what the hit is.. It looks so much better with it on.
  5. Alexlightning7

isnt the AO rendered by the CPU? I am fairly certain it is.
    I get roughly a 2 fps drop on the CPU side when I use it. Its enough that I leave it on. no real drop at all when im GPU limited.
  6. Dragam

It isnt - its rendered by the gpu... but everything you do on the computer will affect the cpu a tiiiiiny bit... more so in this game, compared to others. Still, the load difference on your cpu should barely be measurable.
  7. Alexlightning7

if the load on my CPU is barely measurable, then the load on my GPU is non existant. Sorry but thats the fact here, I can upload a video if you need proof.
  8. Hatamoto

Im gpu limited in the wg yes, but my maximum fps in cpu heavy combat is definatly up by an unstable number, but definatly up. In bio labs when things get heated its AO on = 39 fps minimum, off = 45 fps .. the difference in gameplay experience between the two is quite big. The game overall feels alot smoother and responsive with it off, but with a significant visual trade off.

i7 950 @ 4.1 (stable and still kicking)
    Geforce 6770
    12 ram
  9. Hatamoto

I meant geforce 670 gtx
  10. Primarkka

The HBAO this game uses is calculated by GPU.
    Why are you using v-sync btw? It's really bad. Try using the adaptive V-Sync you find in the Nvidia driver settings. It's much better in most games.
  11. Dragam

/facepalm read what i wrote again...

Cpu load DIFFERENCE... not overall load. The load difference will barely be measurable from enabling / disabling AO.
  12. Hatamoto

To me 3-5 fps isnt a small matter when in a big fight ... every little fps counts when under that 50 fps mark
  13. LibertyRevolution

Because I use a 60hz 32" LCD TV as a monitor and the tearing is really bad with it off.
    I run MaxFPS=60 and vsync on, I see 0 tearing with it like that. Why you think vsync is bad in this game?
    I don't use Nvidia Control panel for anything other than the moving the sliders all the way onto the quality side.
    I have it set on let applications handle everything..
  14. Chipay

Because enabling V-sync in PS2 consumes a lot of recourses (it'll eat up some of your FPS for no reason), whilst enabling V-sync with Nvida won't do that.
  15. LibertyRevolution

I just tried this, I set nvidia control panel to adaptive vsync, I was getting 19fps slideshow at heyoka techplant...
    Took it out of nvidia control panel, went back with in game vync, 30fps...
    Was nvidia control panel forcing other stuff on that I don't know about?
  16. Hatamoto

A thought .. can i have AO turned off in game but set it to on in the control panel and still get an effect in-game?
  17. Dragam

No, the nvidia AO generally only works for games that doesnt have built-in AO.
  18. Hatamoto

thats a bummer, id like to see wich application handles it best
  19. Guadoc

I hate to say it but you have fallen for Nvidia marketing with this one. I don't know anybody who has had a good experience with A-Vsync (maybe you though!) and it really doesn't work at all well for me in PS2. I'd say the tearing is worse with A-Vsync on than without it TBH and performance isn't any better for me with Vsync off (have triple buffering on).

In either case I need to use Vsync instead as I can't bear playing games with the slightest tearing in them and don't have a 120Hz monitor. Some people seem to be more sensitive to tearing than others, have watched friends playing with Vsync off quite happily but it is making my eyes bleed!
  20. Primarkka

I'd say you're right that it doesn't work like promised.
    Instead of stuttering in low FPS with it enabled, I get stuttering upon 71 FPS which is my monitor refresh rate!
    No screen tearing though.