Am I an idiot or are weapon stats all kinda wrong...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by daydreamingwill, Feb 29, 2016.

1. daydreamingwill

For reference, I've sourced all my stats from the planetside 2 wiki (http://planetside.wikia.com).

So essentially I've been looking over stats specifically on Terran lmg and carbine's, and a lot of the data just feels off. For example, the Lynx feels, and according to its description is, poor when aiming down sights. However, it has an accuracy of 0.1 when standing still. This is equal to both the t5 amc and trac-5. When standing and moving the lynx actually has a better accuracy of 0.25 compared to the t5 amc and trac-5's 0.3. So according to the stats, the lynx is actually quite an accurate carbine. Surely this just cannot be right? This seem furthered by all 3 of these weapons sharing identical bloom profiles. I've always believed the Lynx to have a small bloom when aiming down sights. On the other side of the scale, the Cougar has an accuracy of 0.3 when moving and a bloom of 0.6 compared to the Lynx's 0.5 (Which I get is due to the Cougar having higher damage). So to summarize, the Terran gun I expect to be the most inaccurate down sights is actually more accurate than the gun I'd expect to be the most accurate when strafing. Therefore when strafing at range, assuming that you can handle the recoil, the only real advantage the cougar has over the lynx is damage drop. In reality, this is obviously not the case. I've used this example because it feels like one of the worst, but a lot of things here and there just don't sit right with me. A lot of the lmg stats also feel off, this coming from someone who's completed the lmg directives (Not bragging, just giving context). I'm almost certainly misunderstanding something, or maybe I simply have a terrible feel for weapons in planetside. Either way, any help, advice or info is appreciated :) .
  2. AtckAtck

Don't go for numbers, they are just a Guideline.
    Try the wepons and you will see that the lynx is rather inaccurate because of the high firerate combined with the low damage and the resulting number of bullets that you have to put into a target at medium ranges.
    You will often empty a whole Clip and the target still lives. In Close combat it is a beast.

The cougar has bad accuracy stats wise, but it was and still is my favority carbine. You wont Need as many bullets and bursting is a must, but the first shots are really accurate. My of the time it goes like this: "Tak,Tak, Tak, Tak," Pause "Tak, Tak, Tak" Target is dead.
    • Up x 1
  3. BoatsFriends

At first I was going to talk about horizontal min max and tolerance along with recoil angle and bias. I read your post again and I thought I understood what you are talking about.
    Then I read it again and am now more confused.
    The lynx, t5 amc and trac 5 have similar CoF stats. the difference of .25 with the lynx and .3 for the other 2 is the difference of 1 bullet. The lynx however has half the recoil angle min max.
    When you say "assuming that you can handle the recoil" were you talking about vertical recoil as well as horizontal recoil?
    Either way, I think the lynx feels better to you because of the lower recoil min max angle.
    If i didn't help you at all, try explaining it to me with VS weapons.
    • Up x 1
  4. Plastikfrosch

the lynx IS accurate comapared to weapons like the gd7f and the serpent and those are the weapons you should compare it to because it fills the same role. but the lynx has the ttk of a 800rpm/143dps weapon so its more accurate than the other two faster killing weapons.
    also, even while the lynx and the amc have the same stat, the amc has a lot lower rof which makes it a lot more easyer to controll.
    take the solstice ve3 and the solstice sf for example. both weapons have exactly the same stats accuracy wise BUT the sf is a lot easyer to controll and better for mid to long range thanks to the lower rof.
    • Up x 1
  5. daydreamingwill

Thanks for all the reply's guys! So first I feel the need to clear up that I actually own the lynx (which I've achieved an auraxium medal with) and the cougar, which is why I was using them as examples. So this is really more of an academic opposed to needing advice on which gun to pick.

Since making my original post I've been a lot more objective with my comparison of various guns in the game and delved into the statistics a lot more deeply. I believe essentially, I was being an idiot haha. What I've realized is that most guns of the same type, e.g. carbines, tend to be very similar when it comes to stats like accuracy. This and probably much of what I'm about to say may sound very obvious, but things are really starting to suddenly fall into place after quite along time of playing this game. Straight off the bat the lynx, per bullet, has standard ads accuracy. However it is indeed more accurate than standard when moving. Therefore, when in a strafing situation the lynx is a very accurate carbine. When burst firing over range this becomes very apparent after playing around with the lynx. Whereas the cougar is the exact opposite, in that it is more accurate than standard when still, but has standard accuracy when strafing. When thinking about it like this, things make more sense as these profiles fit the roles of the guns. The cougar sits back taking accurate bursts from far away (essentially the tak tak thing atckatck mentioned), and the lynx engages enemies more directly in 1 on 1 situations where you would expect to strafe.

Next, I've essentially ignored horizontal recoil when making my previous observations, so I'm guessing that explains your confusion BoatsFriends?. When I said "handle the recoil" I was indeed talking exclusively about vertical recoil. Looking more into horizontal recoil stats, I think essentially these figures play an important part in creating the "feel" of the gun if you will. For example, the cougar has a min max horizontal recoil of 0.1875/0.1875 with bias to the left, where the lynx has 0.1793/0.1986 with bias to the right. Therefore, i'd expect that to mean that when bursting with the cougar, the shots landed are more predictable and easier to compensate for. This also appears to stand up in testing. Sadly I barely play VS Plastikforsch, so I can't give you better example :( , but yeah what you're saying defiantly stands up. Over long range the lynx is simply unusable due to the high recoil per second, you could say, relative to the distance.

So what do you think guy, reckon I'm that I've cracked it, or at least I'm on the right track? Either way I feel a lot more confident in understanding now why some guns fit different play-styles better than others purely from the stats. Thank you all so much for your responses.