Alt Tab CRASHING

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ABlueObject, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ABlueObject

Alt tabbing for me just second nature now and it really pisses me off when i play an entire alert just to accidentally forget not to alt tab and the game crashes logging me out wasting all that alert time. It wouldn't be a big deal if it happened once a week or so. But it happens EVERY DAY. Alt Tabbing is an extremely simple function, the fact that this game loses its cool when we alt tab is just ludicrous. :mad:
    • Up x 1
  2. Lord Blackadder

You must really have a short-term memory problem when you keep Alt-Tabbing EVERY DAY when you know it's going to crash.
    • Up x 2
  3. ({x})Kyoji

Happens to me as well.
  4. angryBuddha

I get the same thing, but it's random at the wrong times. I typically play in full screen and notice that when the crashes happen, i see a big window frame w/o any contents.
  5. Reloaded

Happened to me for the first time last night. Thankfully I was planning on exiting the game anyway, but as soon as I alt tabbed, I got the usual crash message when you quit out of the game, and I believe it was a "G12" error.
  6. Thelgow

Only been playing 2 weeks but had no problems alt-tabbing until Friday's patch.
    Now alt-tab out is good, coming back in is when it will crash. I will get a big windows with the titlebar saying Planetside 2, alt-tab will show the exe as a choice, but nothing will kick off. I still hear platoon/outfit chat. I had to end process in task manager.
    Also I just have random, running down a hill on foot, crash to desktop.
    Especially fun when 10 mins left in an alert.
  7. killotine

same thing happens to me as Theglow. ive been playing since beta. it seems things have to get worse before they get better....
  8. Afrodude4

This needs to be fixed, not really game-breaking, but incredibly annoying and problematic.
  9. Joe_da_cro

easy fix play border-less windowed for the time being. you can alt tab all you wont because the game is run within the windows environment. also from playing you shouldn't notice a performance decrease
  10. Sliced

Play in full screen mode.
    Why do people play in windowed mode for?
  11. Joe_da_cro

people who play in windowed generally are people who have dual monitors as it is well known that games crash when alt tabbing in fullscreen mode its not just reserved for planetside 2. if you play skyrim with enb its the same thing except the game wont crash but you cant alt tab back into the game.
    • Up x 1
  12. Stray29th

Same for me, since Fridays patch.
  13. WaiZen

Experiencing the same issue.
  14. IamDH

I alt-tab fine
  15. Strikejk

same problem. alt-tab out everything is fine. Going back into the game = crash with g12 error
  16. Naisha

I'm experiencing the same issue at seemingly random times. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The same crash can also happen when changing graphics settings such as shadows or flora.

"Reset Display Failed"
  17. Camycamera

same here. it never used to happen before.
  18. T2Sriker

You can fix it by changing you game settings to Fullscreen Windowed instead of just Fullscreen in the character select menu. Hope this fixes your problem. :)
  19. ObiVanuKenobi

This should help but it slightly increases input lag, might be unnoticeable though depending on your setup.
  20. RainbowDash9

i myself have never had this issue, but if you have windows 10, you could try the lil windows key and tab. basically does the same thing as alt tab except its supposed to be for changing desktops. i usually keep steams page open in the background so it has something to switch to.