Alpha - Bases Weren't Always Poorly Laid Out

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by bluEyedillusions, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Turkeys!

What about if they added a real resource system and gave the factions the ability to build bases, maybe for larger outfits or something of that sort? I'm not really sure how they would do it, but it would be cool.
  2. bluEyedillusions

The devs are passionate about the game and actually listen to the community. I'm typically very negative regarding video games and their development, but SOE (primarily Higby, Maggie and T-Ray) have given me hope. They're really vocal and discuss things with the community at length. They want feedback and actually use it.

Don't lose hope, instead, be heard. Speak up. We need threads like this to get noticed.
    • Up x 2
  3. Being@RT

Hmm. Could you tell me where this happens?

(I'm guessing you are talking about various social media sites. I have no idea why so many game companies have abandoned their official site as the primary source of interaction between player and dev. Am I really forced to have two accounts - one for the game/official site and another for a social media I have no need nor want for otherwise (where I'm likely forced to 'like' as well)?)
    • Up x 4
  4. Lancars

Many people have spoken up. I have spoken up before. I'm one voice in the dark and sony has stabbed me in the back. Honestly i had high hopes for this game and i invested to much into it only to be spat on because they wanted to make this game for cod fans and because they wanted to make the game how THEY like not what the community likes. I moved onto a better game where the devs DO talk to players and the game is still in beta but it feels done. SoE has forsaken the PS1 crowd and spat on the name Planetside. If someone was emotionally unstable in my situation i think they would have joined the Allspark by now. (Using this as an example instead of saying they would kill themselves because it sounds to extreme.)
  5. Dasbag

The issue is by laying down goals that will take them years they are delaying problems that are ruining everything now.

Sure they WANT to add destructible objects but will they? I don't know, but I do know that we cant have half the stuff they are saying we will without addressing the major issues right now.
    • Up x 1
  6. ComerEste87

I do wish they would bring back the old PS1 sliding star trek doors at least on some of the buildings so vehicles couldn't fire in. Could even do the same for windows that only open when someone runs up to the window to shoot out.
    • Up x 5
  7. bluEyedillusions

Would love these. Also, those doors gives Infiltrators something else to hack.

And god knows, the infiltrator's role as an actual... infiltrator... needs buffed/expanded. Right now, infiltrators are mostly only good for sniping.
    • Up x 5
  8. Dasbag

As far as we know the engine cant handle moving doors.
    • Up x 2
  9. ComerEste87

That really made me lol. Would be sad if the engine can handle all the moving things in this world but it can't handle moving doors and/or windows.
    • Up x 3
  10. Crashsplash

Going from an interview with Clegg I gathered that the 'alpha' base was never intended to be used, it was simply put together quickly for the purposes of that publilcity screenshot.

Anyway, it doesn't look playable to me and far too similar to what we have. I'm not in favour of 'revert' niether am I in favour of 'quickfix', I am in favour of 'redesign'.

Higby has said that in the upcoming new continents there may well be some new base types (e.g. interlink and dropship) and there may be a possibility of swapping some bases on current continents with new ones. I don't know how serious a suggestino that was, not very I think.
  11. Monnor

Our current bases have a big sign above writen on it, please come in and take waht you want.
    • Up x 3
  12. HerpTheDerp

Holy crap, it's like you actually had to use infantry to get through and disable both anti-vehicle and anti-air forcefields.

Infantry crucial to a base assault - what an old-fashioned way of thinking
    • Up x 6
  13. bluEyedillusions

Yeah, I mean, what would we do if infantry were for more than feeding certs to liberator and tank spam?
    • Up x 6
  14. Nikushimi

Just like to point out that higby has never made a single successful design during his entire career. Pretty much every project he has worked on before PS2 has crashed and burned.

Honestly dont see how he expects to turn it into a esport, there is nothing about planetside in general that is suitable for tournament play.
    • Up x 1
  15. TheBloodEagle

Honestly I feel like they probably had everything good before Beta, hell even the look was better for infantry, but last minute SOE was probably like, lets **** up all this good stuff now and throw breadcrumbs so we can spread it out over a longer period of time.
    • Up x 2
  16. bluEyedillusions

-Said every producer of video games in the last decade.

:(
  17. MasterChief096

Those old alpha screenshots of bases would be perfect. The base is defended from air shelling (and attacking air is likewise shielded from AA that would be in the CY, perhaps a few towers would poke above the shield?). It would be cool if each "quadrant" of the base had a dome shield that was powered by a generator somewhere outside the base, to give the defenders reason to defend tiny outposts to keep the shields up and the attackers had an objective to make taking the base easier.
  18. Elbryan

Even tech plants were made into a zerg stomping ground.

I'm not saying every base has to be as defensible but some variety wouldn't hurt.

We need more zerg stoppers.
  19. LonelyAirman

You know, base defence is completely irrelevant sometimes. On Indar (NC) yesterday, I lead an NCCT squad which camped a location near Rashnu Bio Lab after we anticipated the incoming TR zerg from Howling Pass. Using good positioning to allow us to cripple tanks then get a killshot at the rear, we managed to blunt the zerg coming up and at least delay their arrival at Crimson Bluff and Rashnu. We didn't immediately go to defend the base, which was clearly going to be overwhelmed by such platoons-strength numbers. When we fell back to Rashnu, we used orders to hint at a big fight coming up there and some zergies spawned at the lab to help us out. 10 guys, some pubbies and a complete Bio Lab defence which actually started in the middle of a godforsaken desert. People just need to use their brains until base defence is improved, and take the enemy before they start taking your points and walls.

Edit: Totally off-topic but I might add that the initial ambush was ruined by TR air support which was not only taking miniscule damage from what flak did detonate, but half of the flak detonated and didn't give a hitmarker or damage the aircraft. If it had been any other facility apart from a BL we were defending, that glitchy overpowered aircav would have ruined our well thought out defence.
    • Up x 2
  20. bluEyedillusions

To be fair, having the generators and an AMS sunderer inside the techplant main building was a little much. It wasn't just defensible; it was a spam fest.

We can have defensible without a spam fest, we just have yet to see it implemented.
    • Up x 1