Alpha - Bases Weren't Always Poorly Laid Out

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by bluEyedillusions, Dec 31, 2012.

1. JP_Russell

I'd actually never seen the old base designs before this thread. It's funny how, without context, the current base designs look like the simplistic, undeveloped alpha design where the devs were still feeling things out and the alpha designs look like the sophisticated structures that have undergone a bunch of iterations. I don't think I've ever seen a phenomenon quite like that in gaming before.
    • Up x 2
  2. Zombo

A signature brought me here,
    yes the bases need to be way more defendable than they are at the moment

the current gameplay needs to change or most of the old PS1 veterans will jump off i guess, and then when the CoD and other mainstream guys reaturn to their original games because CoD BlackOps 15 comes out, SOE will have a gaping hole in their wallet so big that they wish they kept their old good PS1 style approaches

theres nothing tactical about capturing bases by locking up the spawn, which is way too easy
    also i think the devs are thinking too much of the now planned new spawnroms, which will still suffer major liberator spawncamping spam

at least the big bases should get back the bubble shield and the anti-infantry gate shields, it would be just a third line of defense you can ACTUALLY defend with a tactical advantage

just put some underground entrances at the outer wall, put the bubble and infantry outer shield generators in there, and viola! you have a base thats defendable against air and infantry
    • Up x 1
  3. bluEyedillusions

Thanks for poppin by Zombo.

The new changes being done to bases are great. They're definitely helping, despite not being what's in the original post. They're not as "fool proof" as a big bubble shield or something, but they're a move in the right direction.

After seeing the trend in the way they're beefing up base defense, I have a feel for what they're doing. I'm also seeing the problems inherent in a catch-all like a big bubble shield.

They're basically moving base defense up in baby steps. They'll release these new spawn rooms (which, by the way, if you haven't seen them you really should check them out -- watch the first 10 or so minutes), the new additions to walls, underground spawn room tunnels to get around, etc. and see how everything goes. Then if it needs more, they'll make more defensive changes.

Like some people mentioned, I don't think anyone wants bases that can't be taken. SOE doesn't want to make the mistake of beefing up bases SO much at once, that bases basically become uncapturable by anything less than a monster zerg.

I understand the fine line they're walking. Too little, and all bases fall in a few minutes (what we have now) to both small groups and zergs. Too much defense and bases can't fall to anything but the most overwhelming forces, making smaller squads or lonewolves totally useless.

I think we need a bit more defense (let's at least see how these new changes help) plus additional "objectives" within bases that require teamwork to take and can't simply be overrun by the zerg. In other words, more base defense, with more clever locations for generators (such as in the basements of the main buildings) that can be taken by smaller groups working together.

We just need to cut back on vehicle spam, and they're doing that through other means than just beefing up base defense.

I don't know; I'm tired.
    • Up x 1
  4. Inverness

I really love how everyone who sees the alpha base design wonders why the **** that isn't in the game.

I hope you're listening devs. You ignored the constant insistence on better base design all throughout beta and it's still a problem despite your insistence otherwise.
    That's a good idea, why don't we give bases some sort of power source that attackers can cut off...

Oh wait, we had that in PlanetSide 1, and they removed it from the sequel.

NTU Silos in PS1 where what kept bases from being perpetual slugfests, because if you had the courtyard then you had the ability to deny them an NTU resupply which would inevitably result in the base losing power and shifting neutral.

NTU supply was also affected by how many things were damaged in the base. The more turrets and terminals were destroyed, the faster the NTU drained. All things had to be repaired for the NTU to stop draining so you could feel safe about the base not losing power and going neutral while you were away.
    • Up x 4
  5. Arcanum

That wouldn't be much of a problem if PS2 had its own version of ANTs or something like that. If we had a working system like that they probably wouldn't have done an outright nerf to the Tech Plants.
  6. Kumaro

So tunnels huh?? hows is that useful when people are starting to use the Sunderer and shield diffuser. They will simply camp the corridors. I know i will grenades and Engineer mana turret. What is needed is a less confusing base design. More protection against vehicle shelling. Make at least half of the generators unreachable by vehicles. LOADS of more protection for infantry against Vehicles in the base. Better positions for AA guns and AI guns. And close the holes in the walls, remove the tower jump pads they hurt more then solve the problems. Or wait replace the holes in the walls with gates that can be hacked/blown open.

Base battle is right now this. Hold the generators when failing retreat into main building set up a sunderer and camp till you get overwhelmed.

I have seen people get ESF's into Biolabs even Lightnings :p
  7. Drayth

Or they could just do what I've been begging
    I agree nothing but corridor fights would get boring after a while, but it would be better than what we have now.

Of course they could also just do what i've been begging for for weeks now - put a warpgate style forcefield around each main base with a generator in the middle to power it. Easy as that.
  8. Rivenshield

There must have been some kind of political d*ckfight in alpha. The esports groupies won.

Kicking and screaming will they be made to see reason.
  9. Schnitzle

imo these new bases are so overdesigned I don't even like to look at them, much less play in them.
  10. Inverness

It would be nice if the wall towers in this game actually had walls around them, it's ridiculous. You should not have the whole first level on the wall just be open space where anyone can shoot in, there should be a wall all the way around with holes only filled by the turrets.

There should also be actual walls on the top of the towers too.

The design in this game really annoys me when I am reminded how hundred year old castles around the world are more defensible than bases in this game.
    • Up x 2
  11. Slyguy65

IDK bout you but the alpha base just looks...better.

Looks bigger and not filled with clutter, and the walk way gives a nice second layer for combatants.

Now...the bases essentially have this one buildings with copy and pasted smaller buildings around them...that screenshot base looks...sexy
  12. Rivenshield

Bump for great justice. Every single time I log on I'm reminded of how horribly, frustratingly gimped current base design is. Fiddling around with spawn rooms isn't going to ameliorate it.
  13. SturmovikDrakon

I decided to watch their GDC presentation again just to show what the layout looked like inside old Zurvan, and also the first shot shows the walls the best
    Note that this is not the layout that you see in the OP, this comes much later

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I would love to try out this sort of layout at least on one future Amp station, just to see what worked or didn't. Please devs :)
    Maybe in future test servers
    • Up x 3
  14. Inverness

I wish someone could compile pictures showing off the various types of PlanetSide 1 bases and their design and defensibility and contrast them to the bases in PS2. I think visuals will do a much better job of explaining things to those who never played PS1.
    • Up x 3
  15. Kenny007

Wouldn't mind having my name attached to this push. PS2 needs a lot of work; the reversal of the degradation of the bases is a great start.
    • Up x 1
  16. Master

Never noticed that amp station pic.....would be a lot better.
  17. vaxx

I love the old walls....they, you know, make sense! I would love to have those back.
  18. Rivenshield

The interior of the base looks like a series of almost-maybe open-to-the-sky hallways, with occasional mini-courtyards. It's DEFENSIBLE. Fallback positions. De facto internal walls. A series of multiple chokepoints, as opposed to none at all.

They've gone through two iterations of base design before inflicting the current incarnation on us -- with no gate shields in beta, remember. All that hard good-looking work junked for... what? Why?

Higby, take some pity on us and cycle some of this good stuff back in. PLEASE.
  19. ComerEste87

• Up x 2
  20. Arcanum

Current Amp Stations also don't quite have the appearance of the fortresses they're apparently supposed to be like. You know, like a safe, fortified facility?