Allow non-adjacent Captures

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Martic, Nov 21, 2012.

1. IceVamp

There's more to strategy than being a small group and going beyond enemy lines. The front line of any given map usually gives you a choice of at least ten places to assault. You can always find where there's not much fighting and take your team in there to swing the battle, or take control if no one's there. Or like stated, go in and hack terminals to stop supplies of hardware for the opposition, and "prime" the base for takeover.
    • Up x 1
  2. Martic

Sneaking behind enemy territory and avoiding their units is incredibly fun and very addicting. I don't think you understand that if even ONE person sees you they can call you out and your group is done. I'm not saying it has to be this way on EVERY continent. But at least give the players that don't want to just mindlessly shoot and actually want to play this as a tactics based game the opportunity to do that as well.
  3. Martic

The problem with this is that the enemy team can so easily repair / hack terminals back with no waiting period and I have yet to see a place with less than 10-15 people standing at it if it's on the front lines. Again, a small continent where it wasn't carebear lockdowned would be really, really nice for those players that want to run a legit operation with full map awareness, scouting parties, defense groups, strike squads, and anything else that comes from an actual command based fight.
  4. Replay

This is honestly the way it works, please keep in mind that the capture mechanics are different now but this is how it went in beta, two groups of 6 people, Group A is backhacking, they go to random bases, start the hack and then all scatter and leave to do the same thing for other random bases. Groub B the defender sees the bases flipping flies out and counters the hack, then has to sit around and wait for the flip back. Meanwhile Group A has already started hacking 6 more bases, finish by the Time a finishes the first and are now flipping a total of 12 bases. Group B sees territory flipping despite their best efforts, gets frustrated and logs out.

The only way to counter that is to station people to stand guard. Guard duty is obnoxious boring and not fun in the least.

Now lets look at this from another perspective. Assuming that you die once ever 30 seconds, this means that you are running to spawn a plane 30 seconds after the hack starts and arriving at 2 minutes or so into the hack, hacks on, attackers have already left, all you are doing is flying around capping empty objectives bored out of your skull. Would your group do this? most likely not, but someone will and this makes for bad gameplay.
    • Up x 1
  5. KrystOutlander

Allow Non Adjacent captures - NO!
    If you're saying this, you were not in beta. That causes nothing but a never ending game of whack - a - mole of chasing after units of guys who cap a place and move on to the next leaving you to stay behind and cap behind them. Its not fun and you wouldn't like it if it were implimented. What is here is here to stay. We've tested this game for a long time and this is the best solution.
    • Up x 1
  6. Neelkanth

Except those non-adjacent territories are always going to be completely and utterly empty, you aren't infiltrating a populated enemy base, you're infiltrating a ghost town.
  7. Martic

You shouldn't be generating resources fast enough for you to constantly fly all over the place. Also, why make it so you can even capture a base with just one person? Put a minimum of 3-5 players in one base in order to capture it, and make it so that you have to destroy EVERYTHING else attached to the base first. Then you don't have strike squads splitting off to go take places solo. I can agree that wouldn't work. Rather than scrap the whole concept though, fix the obvious design flaw of allowing a single man base capture.
  8. Martic

I have yet to fly back behind the lines without seeing anyone. Same with running. If they're paying attention it's actually very hard to avoid them. Everyone who can is getting their hands on aircraft at this point. They have a bird's eye view with multiple people that could easily be spotters to observe ground movements.
  9. Vreki

If you want to be taken seriously, I suggest avoiding calling others "Carebears" while you are "running a legit operation".

PS2 is about front-lines with massive battles, not playing whack-a-mole with lone infiltrators or 5-man squads in a galaxy.
    Like others have said, the current model is based on experience from the Beta
  10. Sebulous

I thought you still could, just 0 influence meant 45 minutes to backhack
  11. Phasics

like I said they had it in Planetside 1, and people hated it , it would be the same for PS2
  12. Martic

Reduce this to 10-15 and you'd have a working model.
  13. Promethieus

This is a horrible idea. You'll un-focus all the battle fronts. So instead of a couple fights you'll have a bunch of ******* trying to back hack. Its a waste of time and would destroy the game play.
  14. Sebulous

so faster than most other captures?
  15. Doublefrost

Uh, wasn't it allowed just before release? I don't see why they would roll it back, takes absolutely forever to get a back cap with 0%. Anyone that claims it wasn't 'fun' in the first PS never made the cut for special ops/resecure squads. It's very challenging to fight behind enemy lines, with no respawn points, taking on all comers and win. Players will defend if they don't want to lose the whole map, it's as simple as that.

Only thing with full launch is that there's a ton of new players that haven't learned the art of PlanetSide warfare yet. I see a ton of Call of Duty bunnyhoppers and other silly tricks being pulled. They'll learn, just give it some time and open the grid to full attack.
  16. IceVamp

You keep saying that the only tactical part of this game would be to sneak around, this is not true. Yes this is fun, to an extent. For example when you're locked in your Gateway. But tactically engaging a hostile force with your mates is in fact possible. Hopping from base to base with no one to shoot, just waiting for the caps get old real fast, for both parties.
  17. Cabbage

Yes exactly, see if Sony wanted to support "I want to work as a team, I want to coordinate, I want to follow a chain of command, I want to pay attention the map, I don't just want to spawn and shoot stuff." then they wouldn't have mucked up the MBT like they did, then told those that wanted it to be a true team-oriented tank, to 'go stuff it'.

Since we were told to 'go stuff it', they proved they didn't want anything that required "I don't just want to spawn and shoot stuff". I'm still amazed they didn't make the Liberator solo-usable. Surely it would make sense to do this, too?

But back to the OP. They tried the back hacking earlier in beta, and their current capturing mechanism made it almost next to impossible to counter. You'd end up needing vast numbers of defenders, and with the internet as a whole wanting to "always be the hero", finding enough defenders is nearing improbable.

The lattice, though, that could work, as you knew what you had to defend, and what would be most likely attacked. Only they have repeatedly stated, no lattice.
  18. oOCKYOo

I suggest you revise this text wall. "They don't have a spawn point that deep." Squad beacons. The map would be a giant mess with groups spawning everywhere from all factions.

Destroy the squad beacons you say? Just pass squad lead to someone else with the cert and juggle beacons between people. They can place them on the other side of the base for all you know.

This was tried and tested in beta. The fact that territory needs to be connected to the warpgate to let recources flow would cause recources to run out if the map looks like the ground was randomly distributed.

You can in a sense do back-hacking. We do it all the time. Capture all the ground around a major facility like a tech lab to make it capture faster. Capture adjacent territories to choke points (thinking about broken arch on Indar) to distract and divide their force.

Tactics are what you define them to be.
  19. maxkeiser

It won't change - and with good reason. So looks like you won't be logging back in then.

See ya!
  20. Phasics

If you really feel strongly about how this game should work then you should have paid $40 to get in the beta and have your say while things were in development and flexible. launch day 1 and the devs have 0 interest in new ideas they're just working on getting this sucker stable