All three factions can agree about the cloak.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by sinez, Nov 23, 2012.

1. xBoneBreakerx

really? so basicly u want infiltrators to camp... great lets make it the next BFBC2 where 80% of ppl are camping

maybe you cant... no problem for me...

your kidding right? all my knife kills has been as infiltrator...
    hell you dont even need cloak if you know what your doing...

i just think you need to learn proper infiltration statagy....
  2. MobileAssaultDuck

I only really see cloaked infiltrators if they're sprinting across open field.

That's not what the cloak is for.
  3. Daejin

There is a current issue with the knife system in that, if a target is standing still, and you are standing still, the 2nd knife swing will "miss" the target, if you attack too fast. The first will hit, the second will make the enemy jerk like he got hit but it won't register a hit, and the 3rd will kill him.

This happens to me 100% of the time when the enemy is stationary. I can get 2 hits off before they react every time, but before my third hits they finally close their menus or w/e and start moving, which usually ends up in my knife clipping through them. Even on the move, 50% of my knife attacks go straight through their models. I clearly hit, but no registry on the damage, as they are still flinching like they got hit.
    I don't know what exactly is the cause of this. I don't know if it's them lagging, me having some hidden lagg issues, (I run the game smoothly at around 50-70fps in big fights) or just bad mechanics.

Sure, I still destroy people with my knife, but almost everytime I fail to knife someone, it's because the game ***** up, not me. For that reason alone, the knife needs a work.

As an on-tpoic note: I've noticed that the vast majority of TR and NC players on Conner don't really notice my cloak sound. My tactic at the momenty consists of me almost spamming my cloak to move around here and there, and quickly taking it back off for a recharge. Sometimes, around enemies, I cloak and de-cloak a good 10-20 times before doing anything like hacking or attacking.
  4. Zinus

Alright, from my experience so far i came to this conclusions.

This cloak is not the best one there is ... but i never expected it to be so that!

I always try to rely on my cloak as little as possible, sure here and there i make a madman aggressive cloak dash, but even then, i try to use the mayhem, shadows, cover etc to make my run.
    When i run away from somebody i cloak and run, i know that they can see me while i am running, but the thing is once i go behind a corner they will have much harder time determining where i went (noticing that shimmer is harder when you only have a split second to do so), and often it allows me to run and hide (of course sometimes i get taged and i die but that's the name of the game after all).

So all in all the cloak is super useful!

P.S. somebody mentioned tribes ascend inf cloak and how it was so much better... that is true but know what? even there people whined how it was not a true invisibility (truly it isn't one), and how everyone could see them and blah blah blah. Needless to say, i found the cloak in that game more than satisfactory
  5. Kur0ko

The cloak is 95% useless as it is now, SOE should make the cloak act like it does with the spy class in TF2
  6. GraphicJ

In other words according to your long "essay" you just want an easy to play hack. lol....... NO.
  7. Skeith

I was the one who mentioned tribes and after reading your post i can safely say tha you are a big liar,ot that you have not played tribes at all.

Tribes cloak is FULL invisibility,it lasts 16 seconds and can be recharged with the enemy ammo,besides the infiltrator is equipped with C4 and a sticky launcher,wich means that not only he can infiltrate but once he is inside your base he is going to blow you and your team into little bits,instead of hacking a terminal hoping that noone sees him.

Also are you seriously claimimg that the cloak is useful because you can escape with 2 hp by going around the corner?

(Assuming tha he doesnt turn around and shoot you in the back considering how easy is the cloak to see)
  8. iller

^I've got over 50 PhaseRifle kills against "cloaked infiltrators" in that game^ :cool:

Whoah whoah whoah, let's not go crazy here. Most players couldn't use the Invis-Watch properly either and the whole class wasn't seen as "balanced" for them by Valve until that goddawful noskill cheesey Deadringer was added. That thing was total overkill and didn't reward "sneaking". It was a pure brute force crutch that good players didn't need.

And yes I say this as someone who's managed a positive KDR on 32man payload with just the stock watch or C&D.

I also have a HUGE problem with Thermal Imaging scopes on Aircraft, which is that the stupid Aircraft can also kill us instantly with their insane DPS Chainguns even while they're lagging so bad they can't fly straight.
  9. Vortok

The most effective part of the cloak is trolling friendly medics trying to heal the infiltrator.

It's probably not meant to be nearly as general purpose as people are trying to force it to be... but yeah, bit weak either way.
  10. sinez

Erm... from what in my post did you draw this?

Oh, and to the earlier post saying that I was encouraging camping, that was not my intent at all. I was simply saying that snipers DO need to get to good spots, so they can have time to find, and take, a good shot before moving on, or perhaps take a few shots. I can certainly see where this COULD cause a problem with campers, certainly. However, people can already just use beacons and squad-drops to get to places usually restricted to LA's, and I dont know how well that is, balance-wise. Perhaps tie it into the Stalker Cloak, so it's not a camping issue (if you are sniping with the inf. pistol, you deserve those kills, regardless of "camping"). The point was, we -could- use some more mobility, since the LA is currently the best at what our job is supposed to be. And has been, since the day the Beta started...
  11. Zinus

Well i never said i played tribes, i said tribes ascend.

I started tribes ascend as Sentinel, but it felt a bit cheap (hitscan weapon) that i felt a bit bad about it so i changed to infiltrator (and grinded my *** off for the red spinfuzor >.> ). And the cloak in there is NOT fully invisible, it has a shimmer that you can see if you look really good (It's just a matter of knowing what to look). Just search their forums for all the whine about the cloak.... geee...
    When i had the lousy smg thingy i mostly defended the base against other infs (on bella omega 2nd iteration that had a nice big gen base ), and i could see the infs running in the corridors being "invisible" (if i saw the shimmer, if not well they went past me... i did say that the tribes invis is better than this one), but on longer distances there was no chance of seeing anything (other than footsteps >.> but oh well a lot of ppl still don't know about that one)

As off older tribes, i don't know what the cloak was there.

The point there was the whining on their forums about the infiltrator cloak that was SOOOO Visible!!!!1111 While definitely not a true invisibility it is still pretty good yet people still whined about it.... just sayin...

On Topic:

Also I'm not saying that this cloak is great, but who cares, for me it does the job. Sure i would like it to be a bit better, but if it stay as it is, i wouldn't care, at least it is different from other games that had superior cloaks, here it is a bit of a challenge to pull some things off.

As for the usefulness, here the cloak is not the "oh ****" button that will make you get away 100%, and when running in dark or around corners it is still better to have that wannabe invis than having none.
    Also if in the end you escaped with that 2hp... isn't that enough? You are as deadly with 2hp as with full hp most of the time, as long I am alive the cloak did its job for me.

+ if it was that easy to detect I wouldn't be able to run pass 5-15 people with invis into a base... sure some of them saw me... but too late to do anything and later I managed to hide myself until they got bored and went back to fighting at which point i could resume doing my inf stuff.
  12. Skeith

i was talking about tribes ascend the jackal(the sticky launcher)and some of the stuff i mentioned dont even exist in the first tribes,besides the stealth in tribes is FULL invisibility,you can literally jump in front of someone with that thing on and he will not notice you,and the community of tribes never ever whined about the cloak,please stop making things up to prove that you are right.

the only real use for the cloak is when you are 2000 miles away from the enemy and he is probably busy doing something else to notice you

besides that you cant even use it to escape if your opponent has 2 braincells working

you literally become a running silhouette for 10 seconds and with a decloak sound louder then a cross cycle.

infiltrating inside a base with 5 people on it?,you are definetely making my day sir

you want me to say that you can infiltrate a base when all the other infiltrators are constantly spotted in open field by aircrafts and tanks at 1000 yards?

that noone will see you running or hear the cloak-decloak noise while you are there?

if your answer is yes then by all means record a video and share it with us.
  13. Zinus

Well I'm glad i made your day.

If you think that the cloak in tribes is full invis, that's fine by me. In the end its one less guy looking for the shimmer.

As for this cloak, sure it is not near as good as the tribes cloak, but i can live with it (it rather sux compared to it, true). If they chose to make it better then great! If not, i wouldn't mind, i found it useful as is.
    The bigger problem is the lack of options once you infiltrate the base rather than the bad cloak (especially if all hackable things are destroyed).

edit:

tribes ascend invis at 0:14.
    Being that he uses 3th person camera he looks at the actual model and how other see him. When he goes invis there is a slight shimmer and distortion of color that can be seen

http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=KHfn4sBQXxs&feature=youtube_gdata

Sure its awesome, and almost full invis, but bad players still whined about it on forums believe it or not (and also about how he left footprints and how everyone could see them that way), that's just how ppl roll.
    I'm not saying that everyone here is whining (planetside2 cloak is visible when you look at it no doubt about that), but i have to assume that some are exaggerating a little bit about its lack of usefulness, that's all.
  14. Turelle

I play this game on Low, and the cloak does its job when it comes to trying to spot enemies. They're near invisible and only very occasionally will I ping them when cloaked, and usually because they're sillhoutted and moving against the skyline, but you have to pay very close attention to where they go or you wont find them again.

If their cloak was as effective as it to us playing on low, as it is to those on the higher graphic settings then I'd be happy. I don't play infiltrator unless we're capping a base and i'm either bored or we need to take away equipment and vehicle terminals away or use them, in which case I switch and hack them.

Usually the only way I know there's an infil around is when the capture point isn't moving, or I hear them de/cloak and i'm instantly on guard and looking for ANY visual disturbance.
  15. Daejin

Bottom line here is that the Cloak is useful, but not overpowered. What we lack is things to do, proper knife mechanics (Most hit registration and behavior) and permanent invisibility. All I really want right now is the ability to use Stalker Cloak, Hack Vehicles, and either pass by, or "temp" hack shields. Maybe bnring them down for 5 minutes. Enough time for your faction to rush in and attempt to overrun the outer layer of a base.
  16. Skeith

only the player that uses the infiltrator(and his team) can see the shimer(or you wouldnt be able to see your character dont you think?)for all the other players you are not visible at all.

IT'S FULL INVISIBILITY not almost,it's FULL do you get it now or do i have to repeat it 5 more times?

there never was a single whine thread about cloak in the tribes forums,how can you whine about a cloak that lasts 16 seconds and grants you full invisibility?

it is a useless cloak because it doesnt fullfill our infiltrating purpose at all,there is a reason if the infiltrator is non existant in competitive or tournament play,because he cant do what he was built to do

just stop it dude you are only making yourself looking even more ridicolous by making so many things up
  17. nubery

/signed

Bring back PS1 infiltrator.

****** cloak if you want a rifle, amazing cloak if you use just a sidearm. And ******* add back REAL hacking not this mockery of a once great mechanic.
  18. Drakoni

I feel quite happy about the current cloak, however I think a simple fix would be to prevent Q tagging while cloaked. I feel like that change would make a big difference. I'm pretty sure some players are constantly spamming Q and if they're pointing at vantage points and catch you while cloaked and tag you...that really does suck, really ruins the point of cloak if they can mash Q to long range "Shotgun" tag you
  19. Meiu

I think your default cloak is fine as it is, it serves its purpose by being misleading at the most. However, I don't agree with them taking out the fast camo and the permanent camo. The permanent camo made you only able to use a sidearm but when you werent moving it would recharge and you were invisible completely. This would make them more infiltratorish. The fast camo put you in and out of stealth instantly and made no sounds but it drained your energy faster. Was more of a battle camo. If they left those in I think this situation wouldn't have happened :(
  20. Zinus

They whined because it was not like the TF2 spy cloak >.> which is full invis, the whine came mostly from bad inf players anyway but it was still there so i dunno why you rly want that much to prove that there wasn't (besides there are always whine threads about everything in a game... kinda like a rule >.> )

The shimmer is there for anyone to see, and the guy even points it out in his video.
    If you so much want a prof in the same video you can see enemy inf at 0:43-0:45 walking right of the dude (bottom right corner of the screen) and he saw him and shot him... so i dunno why you are so insisting about it.
    The thing is that the tribes cloak is soooo much better than this one so rarely anyone sees it anyway (and the fact that you are speeding most of the time doesn't help)

Your opinion is that the cloak sux, mine is that it is decent but that we need more options and that that is the real problem of the class

edit: @ post above. Well that cammo stuff seems interesting.