All three factions can agree about the cloak.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by sinez, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Bags

Snipers do not need a stronger cloak. But cloakers doing other things should.

And I think it works okay now, I see a lot of people not notice cloakers.
  2. Kiten

Well, rejoice: people running the game with low graphic settings and poor rendering can safely say a cloacked Infiltrator is not spottable on screen.

I, for one, can attest this.
  3. Nakor

+1
    The cloak is worthless garbage. Its loud as hell, its slow to engage and disengage and it doesn't even hide you effectively.
    Even a cloak that ONLY worked while the user is totally stationary would be preferable to the current state of affairs if it actually provided some form of concealment.
  4. medbot544

My only recommendations:

1) Adjust cloaking visability for players who run at lower setting since at this time having it on low allows people to see you real easy. Also lessen the visibility in cloak while moving by a small amount.
    2) Allow us to break cloak by firing. Nothing is more aggravating by switching it off just to shoot. This makes catching people unawares pretty difficult since it is a multi step process right now. Hit cloak button, sneak up on enemy, uncloak, wait for gun to appear, then attack. Whoops, he blew you away while you were decloaking, try again! would prefer hit cloak, press fire and decloak. Right now its way too cumbersome imo.
    3) Add another cloak perk that allows us to disguise as an enemy for a short duration?
    4) Make that sensor dart actually worth using. I have tried to utilize this item and it's just worthless, at least as a basic item. This might be due to the poor on screen map that cannot be zoomed and is buggy (ie. showing red dots on map when there is nothing even near it). Currently, from what I can tell: sensor dart does not really do anything worth while other than giving away your location. Plink! Oh look a large yellow flare, infiltrator in the area! Also note that if you happen to spot an enemy(s), if someone spots right before the kill: they get the spot exp and I get nothing. I find it's just easier spam spot button instead.

Right now the class seems more: sit on a hill from 2 miles away and camp. I personally would like to see this class also be offered better INFILTRATION game play. Currently the best infiltrator is the guys with jet packs. Either make this class worthy of the name 'Infiltrator' or rename it "SnipersLOL'.

Last note, I find it incredibly difficult to gain exp on this class. I go to a basic engie and make literally 10x the exp by simply dropping an ammo kit on a couple dudes. So right now, to cert up my Infiltrator...I have to play medic or engineer for the time being.

p.s. to bad this game was under my radar, really wish I could have played this class with a shotgun; I bet I'd be having a gas. lol. I have the stalker atm and that thing is a pea shooter plus it has insane recoil....saving up for front grip now and pray those 100 certs aint a waste I guess....
  5. FaLI3N

/signed
    All I want to do is infiltrate as an infiltrator and then actually be able to cause damage when i get there.. and while I'm on it can we let engi's repair enemy terminals, all my team does is get trigger happy and take out every single terminal. It gives them exp so they wont stop it and I can fully understand that it hurts the enemy in certain situations but why can't we fix something if we want to :p
  6. VKhaun

/not signed

Dunno what the OP is talking about. I played HARDCORE objective based stealth in planetside1 and this is game's stealth is better. I played the infiltrator to try out the scout rifles and had no problem tricking people who were shooting right at me, sneaking into zerged towers, or eluding people on top of base parapets.

I suggest you try to have more patience and not try to sprint everywhere, more awareness and not try to move in front of people, more planning and pick routes that aren't stared at or guarded, or all three.
  7. sinez

Maybe you're just really, really good, from your experience in the past game. At a certain point, skill overcomes a deficite in actual power. it doesnt change the balance factor: if your foes were as good as you are, they would see straight through your cloak and tear you to shreds the moment you cloak, because you're now defenseless. The fact is, we have far, far more people attesting to how bad the stealth is, many of whom also played PS1. PS1 infiltrator could infiltrate, this one cant. You're totally visible when standing still in this one, to anyone who's played for even a small amount of time (whatever amount it takes a person to identify that "shimmer=enemy infiltrator who is completely defenseless until he decloaks and even then cant fight any other class on even ground").

I have pleanty of patience, but time is a major element in this game. Everything is constantly moving, and if you have to take several minutes to get to a base, by the time you get there the battle may have completely shifted. If you're crouch walking at a snails pace (which means you wont have enough cloak to get from cover to cover anyway) you're still extremely easy to see. Map awareness is vital on all stealth classes, yes, but this (and the unguarded routes part) harkens back to the origional point I addressed: there may or may not be time. This is less of an issue with a squad, as you generally have more time to organize the assault... but then, once you get there, you're liable to be found due to sheer dumb luck of an enemy wandering around if you have to then wait for your own team. Perhaps the Stalker Cloak will adress this, it certainly needs to.
  8. VKhaun

Really I'd love to be on your side here and think of this as an infiltrator rather than a sniper with camo, but they took away the stalker suit, took away C4, and hacking is half implemented.

One day I hope you're right and we don't make a loud noise and aren't visible at all sitting still, but today those things balance out just fine at sniper rifle range where people don't hear the cloak, you can drop cloak and fire instantly, and that shimmer is not noticable unless the person looking for you is also a sniper. They're balance factors for the classes narrow intended role. Changing them to let you infiltrate would not be a 'fix' until there is something to do after infiltrating.
  9. sinez

Well, I have to thank you for being reasonable, at least. I understand that it's something that takes time to make infiltrator viable for, well, infiltration. Still, to my experience, even the sniping is questionable. This is coming from the point of view of the one shooting AT the clockers, actually. At max sniper view range, I can absolutely see an infiltrator standing still if I'm looking. I remember it clearly, it wasn't easy, I'll give you that: it took great effort, but I could -see- him, when he was standing still crouched invisible, and he couldn't fight back.

This, of course, isn't to address the issues of delayed effect of breath holding, which is something that is apparently a major issue for those who actually snipe. I'm no expert on sniping though, no experiance.
  10. Skadi

lol, not even gonna bother reading posts saying otherwise on this one, i fly by in my scythe and pick them off as i see them as if they were normal infantry on the ground, cloaked or not.
  11. iller

^That guys not lying^ I've seen it happen 5 times already.

We don't need stealth at all to sneak through situations like those. ....Or in most games in general when we're taking that long to get anywhere. I know I'm not the only one here who's "ninja'd" way back behind enemy lines on the fattest class most class based shooters have to offer.
  12. Kazuchan

I can't say much, because back when I played, cloak was apparently bugged and wasn't possible to spot on lower-end cards, but from the streams and videos I've seen, even with compressed quality, I can make out cloaked infils.
  13. Wobberjockey

the only time i have ever had the cloak actually work for me was when i was able to stand stock still for a full second so that the full 'invisible' texture kicked on.

which is of extraordinarily low utility since with only 12 seconds to work with i need to frequently be on the move, and have little time to head fake people by running right and cloaking left ( not like it would matter because the movement texture is painfully obvious and seemingly binary_
  14. Zapon

so according to a above poster- you can spot cloaks as easily as anyone else from the air?

SMELLS like render issues to me

-The problem is that the cloaks are buggy and weren't this bad always- The devs need to fix the cloak , plain and simple.

15. H0urg1ass

I truly don't understand why they didn't keep it exactly like PS1. The cloaking system worked perfectly well for many years. If you sit still, you're invisible. If you move crouched, there's a slight haze. If you run, there's a visible blur.

Not only that, but you should also be able to shoot cloaked too. It wasn't game breaking the first time around, it still wouldn't be today.

Honestly, PS2 has a whole lot of "huh what??" changes from the original. All Planetside 2 needed to be was a graphical facelift from the first one, with a lot of changes to character customization. All of these other changes like not being able to loot dead enemies are just dumb.
  16. hsal9

Cloak is fine. If you want a taste of how "invisible infiltrator" cloak would work set your graphic setting to all low. Might sing a different tune then.

Also obligatory l2p, lolnoob l2sneak
  17. Skeith

because people dont like gettign killed by something that cannot even see that's why

playng a stealth class is fun only for those who play it
  18. Mansen

The cloak is fine - you are supposed to use it to sneak UP on people (and around) - not use it during combat to become invisible and get behind your target.
  19. sinez

You dont seem to understand the fact that we're all upset because we -cant- use it to sneak up on -anyone- because, the majority of the time, they can see us even when we're standing still, crouching. Thus, we're not really gettung much benefit from the cloak at all for infiltration, which is sorta the entire problem.
  20. deusex2

You're contradicting yourself there.