[Suggestion] All large projectiles with Phoenix hitbox?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Demigan, May 24, 2016.

1. Demigan

As the title says, wouldn't it be cool if most weapons ammunition has a hitbox that can be shot? When you hit the hitbox the shell/rocket will go off-course. The more damage your weapon does the more the shell goes off-course.

Example:
    HA fires a dumbfire rocket. The tank, unwilling to get hit, fires at the rocket. Upon a hit the rocket is send spiralling off-course (the main-cannon shell as well)
    A Medic is under fire from a Lightning, he fires at the Lightning's barrel in the hopes of hitting the shell enough and sending it in another direction.
    An aircraft has a lock-on warning, the aircraft turns to where he hopes the lock-on to be and tries to hit the missile as it's in-flight, causing it to go off-course and have reduced maneuverability giving the aircraft time to dodge.

Some weapons would fire shells with hitboxes and some wouldn't. Weapons like the Saron, Enforcer, Aphelion, Mjolnir, Gatekeeper and Vulcan wouldn't be hittable, while weapons like the Halberd, MBT/Lightning main canons and Dalton/Zepher shots would be.

This gives the entire game a lot more rewards for skill and gives tanks with AI weapons a better overall combat effectiveness, allowing weapons like the Kobalt to potentially protect the tank from damage (assuming he hits the shell several times, hitting it once or twice will not cause it to go very far off-course). Hitting the shell with higher-damage weapons is more rewarding but in general will be more difficult.

Just because I assume this will be one of the complaints: No, infantry weapons would not be capable of causing a shell to go at 90 degree angles. small-arms fire would only cause it to turn in fractions of degree's, requiring multiple hits to get it really in a different direction. So a lucky hit after spray&pray won't save your butt.
    • Up x 1
  2. Thardus

I think it would be interesting if more rockets could be intercepted by fire, but I'm laughing at the concept of somehow being able to disrupt a cannon shell with small arms fire.
    There's a big difference between a self propelled rocket, and a shell.
  3. FateJH

Actually my complaint is that it's ridiculous. Even the primary working example is essentially ridiculous.
  4. Demigan

I'm laughing at the concept of nanite-build infantry and aircraft even receiving damage from ramming anything. They should be damn near impervious! Infantry should be able to cut steel with their damn fingers if they were build well!

But we are playing a game, with game mechanics. An ammo pack can create 10 rockets larger than itself for 10 HA's in one go, while at the same time offering entire magazines to anyone else nearby. Medics can revive people that are blown up with explosives and had 6 tanks do donuts on them. There's no missiles with 50m AOE. There's no artillery. Vehicles and aircraft need no fuel and maintenance, can be build in less than a second for the same cost as 9 grenades and using a tiny repair gun can repair your vehicle, but for some reason we don't have 4 of them inside our vehicles/aircraft to keep them constantly repaired. Rockets fired by infantry go at snails speed, in fact practically every weapon goes at slower speed than guns we had years ago! There's ancient canons that fire canonballs at higher speeds than the tanks in the game. Speaking of tanks, infantry weapons have in general twice or even three times the muzzle velocity of the tanks, what's up with that? You can think of dozens more of such things. The LA jetpack for instance would require enough energy to keep 3 HA shields up and running under heavy fire, the drifter would be capable of constantly powering 5 HA shields while they are getting shot by various infantry. Buildings and tree's are immune to anything you do with them etc.

anyway the idea should be clear: This isn't an idea based on real-life, but a game mechanic just like everything else above (and in many cases even less ridiculous). It would improve the gameplay in my view and give the game more depth in loadout choice.
    • Up x 1
  5. Haquim

Well aside from the fact that hitting something like a shell several times befor it hits you would take so much luck that it would baiscally never happen, making this a totally useless change....

The first thing that came to my mind was a Dalton Liberator with the pre-nerf Dalton.
    In case you don't know: pre-nerf the Daltons splash could damage vehicles.
    So....
    Step1: constantly shoot at the Dalton, destroying any shell before it really flies off.
    Step2: Laugh as the Liberator gets damaged by its own shell.
    Step3: Laugh even harder when the crew complains about constantly getting shot in the d*ck

Seriously though, gameplay/balancing/whatever implications aside, this would have far too little impact to even consider allocating resources to this.
    • Up x 1
  6. Demigan

I put in the weak difference in trajectory because I thought people would instantly fall over that.
    If you think that's completely useless: allowing small-arms to cause a meaningful direction change in 2 hits shouldn't be too tough should it? Consider that the one getting shot at will practically be able to fire straight at the tank barrel to deflect the hit.

@Liberator in your mind:
    He fires his load but has his balls explode...?
  7. DooDooBreff

8. stalkish

9. stalkish

I want this for my tank:

Or this:
  10. FateJH

Oh, I know about Phalanx CIWS. I performed some work on the computer systems that drive those things.

Demigan's approach, however, is far more Virtua Cop in scope.[IMG]
    The only reason this even works against the Phoenix (as it does shoot-them-down projectiles in arcade shooters) is because the Phoenix is unrealistically slow and it only takes one hit. I believe it's the slowest projectile that renders in the game. In any case, because of its high air-time, the chances of the rocket being struck by another projectile that causes it to divert from the target before the rocket has struck the said target on the shooter's screen is credible.

I appreciate Demigan's effort to increase the acceptance of AI secondaries by giving them limited AV defense functionality, however I feel this is stretching practicality.
    • Up x 1
  11. LodeTria

Mechanically, the phoenix missile is a vehicle that the player gets in when they fire the phoenix. I wonder how the game would handle a person already in a vehicle firing what is considered vehicles.
  12. Demigan

And that is a valid piece of feedback. Practicality is part of the game, and if you think that's not practical enough than that's OK. Just keep in mind that 'ridiculous' is basically the entire premise of 99,98% of the shooters out there.

Oh yeah, I hadn't considered that... Although it wouldn't exactly be impossible would it? Vehicles can move without occupants, as evidenced by every single vehicle going off by themselves based on the last input. By removing acceleration/decelerration from these emtpy 'vehicles' it could be possible. The biggest problem I see is how it would affect rendering and hit detection. If it's a vehicle it would use victimside hit detection, if it's both a vehicle and projectile it would use both clientside and victimside hit detection... Which would instantly give players double the chance to hit an enemy, once on his own screen, once by shooting through the place the victim actually is and having him 'crushed' by the vehicle. I think this is actually solved with Phoenixes, so maybe it's still possible to use pure clientside hit detection.
  13. DooDooBreff

that wasnt the point....

the point is that it isnt unreasonable to shoot down missiles/rockets with simple bullets. and damn near all rocket/missile style projectiles in PS2 travel slow enough to be reacted to
  14. Eternaloptimist

Maybe what we need is a CIWS turret like the FUD2 :D just joking (maybe) but an engie spraying the incoming tank spam on his team would be awesomely annoying to the tankers...............and hence good fun.
  15. LodeTria

I imagine giving them deployable status like tank mines and C4 would be the easiest solution, but change the "throwing" physics/animation to have the physics of what the current tank projectiles are. It would suffer from render issues though. This is of course assuming it was actually under consideration rather than suggestion.
    • Up x 1
  16. stalkish

ye it was a joke man.
    Sorry i should have put a ;) or a :D or a :p in there somewhere.
  17. DooDooBreff

rgr
  18. stalkish

Hop into a harasser or onto a flash and fire the phoenix, seems to handle it just fine.:)
  19. KaletheQuick

Just have them explode when shot. All rockets. Simple, easy, fun.
  20. BurntMyWater

Wouldn't this give TR a bit of an edge? I mean, we have chainguns. I could grab my MCG with a BRRT attachment and spray away. The sheer number of bullets flying would be enough to deflect most rockets. Or even better, I could pull an AI MAX and Lockdown on top of an ammo pack. That would turn me into a walking CIWS monster.