Alert coordination

Discussion in 'Cobalt (EU)' started by Ghery88, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Ghery88

What the hell is this?

This is a thread for laying the groundwork for handling Alerts in the future.

Who the hell are you?

Just an average player leading a small outfit of Hungarians, fighting lag and anything's not blue and yellow enough.

What makes you think that you should create this thread?

Last night's Alert on Esamir. The first half was amazing.
    • Attempts for reaching leaders
    • Offers of real assistance
    • Coordinating movements
    I couldn't believe it. It looked like we pulled ourselves together. It was truly awesome. The second half though... We just lost it. That should never happen again.

So, what can you give us wise guy? Because your own stats and outfit are not that amazing at all...

Exactly. Last night we were only a squad strong. But we were/are coordinated. We're always experimenting with force setups and leading methods. I'd like to bring organized thinking, structured task sharing to the table.

Of course, these will be only my personal ideas, and I'm counting on you to provide further input.

Get on with it already!

What I think is the most important, is constant communication between leaders. Main points of this.

For smaller or more specialized forces:
    • Where are your men
    • What assets do you have
    • What kind of assistance do you need/can you provide
    For large forces:
    • What are you doing
    • Where are you heading
    • What kind of assistance do you need
    Large forces are for fighting battles, gaining ground from similar sized forces. Small forces are for providing support for these and garrison duty.

The whole point of the Alert is to gain and hold as much territory as possible for as long as possible.

We must set goals of percentage. Of course, we start with 100%, but that's hardly realistic unless we have total coordination and at least average players only. Let's say 70% is our primary goal with designated must have facilities. (E.g. Eisa, Elli, Andvari, Ymir, Nott on Esamir) If those goals are met and we can hold them solidly enough, then we might try to raise the pesky % mark after our share. Not sooner, not later.

How am I supposed to fight and do this useless chatting thing at once?

You're not. That's the trick. We must have dedicated liasons to maintain this level of communication. That might mean standing in a safe room and doing nothing, while everybody else is fighting with the sweet 20% Xp bonus. Hard to swallow, might make an MMOFPS into a terrible RTS, but that might be the price to pay for dominating a continent - locking it down eventually.
    A couple of thousand Xp and general, metagame respect for keeping it together should make up for the loss of personal ingame progress. At least for real team players.

Thanks for reading, and let the rants begin! :p
  2. c0r3

You could try get a rep from each outfit of a server to sit in a TS channel together and coordinate. An "NC council" Seperate channels per server.

Good luck making something like this a reality. There is no sweeter feeling than seeing another outfit roll over the hill to save your ****!
  3. Ghery88

Exactly! Just as during last night's defense of Jaeger's Fist. My squad was desperate, about to give up and I could said 'Don't worry, I have the Jesters on the comm and a Lib's on it's way!' And we stood there with all the other incoming players and held the place.

I'm aiming for these epic moments with this movement I'm hoping to start.
  4. Nenarch

Hope you get some decent outfit squads. I atleast like when someone brings anything between squad up to platoon vs one our squads.

I draw the line at multiple platooons vs 1-2 squads... that's basically a marker try to hold one CP to get kills before redeploying out.

If they ever get the lattice system ingame, that combined with events.. might finally see battles like in PS 1 then.
  5. Pharax

The NC are slowly getting better with communication.. Well I like to think so at least. But we all know we are the least organised currently on Cobalt in comparison to our spandex wearing foe's.

We do have the NC Cobalt Alliance:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/cobalt-alliance.85169/page-4

Even if we just get our arses in gear and used the orders channel more effectively, it would improve our chances.

Edit: I see you already posted on the NCCA thread. My bad!
  6. datfluttershy

Yesterday several Jesters teamed up with the R4 Reapers on Esamir. We basicly used the normal Ingame VOIP to control our Squad and communicate with platoonlead and Teamspeak to coordinate that with our other half-platoon.

The only problem NC faces is we miss huge outfits like Turd or roflaotr that can just provide a whole Platoon and even more at once.
    Plus: i can not look into the other Guys Warpgate but i think the NC coordination and deploy time is just way to long compared to our enemys.

@Rage: dont worry i will always look to fight your bunnyhoppin SMG minions :p
  7. Hecket

Oooh hai there cheater, i see you started playing again. Gotta love paying togglers.;)
  8. Ghery88

How did that alert go? According to the numbers you two have well enough men to do the heavy lifting for the faction.

Also I totally agree on the deploy time. Just with my outfit, sometimes simple things take way too long to accomplish, like getting 3 fully crewed Vanguards, 2 Sundies and a Skyguard on to the rallypoint near the edge of the warpgate shield.

And that French zerg a week or two ago... Filling up all the space with tanks and stuff for 10+ minutes, while not informing non French speakers what's going on.
  9. thekiller2002us

how big is your outfit?

Jesters have no problem with heavy lifting and we have been working with reapers quite well lately. The Jesters usually field 1 full platoon, with sometimes another separate squad supporting us in the skies (Jester Aces) or acting as a recon unit (FU2 squad).

It seems to be a problem that I'm hearing a lot lately concerning NC outfits; in that they spend a lot of time prepping at warpgate.

-This is not needed and can take valuable outfits away from the battlefield. My platoon leaders and myself will spend no longer than 5 minutes to prep any large scale events i.e galaxy drops/ tank rushes/ max rushes etc etc.

-In our first baby steps it did take longer but I found the best approach is to just order your men over comms to get to the waypoint in whatever you want them in. If they all aren't there, then forget them. just continue with your original plan.

Just remember these tips as an outfit leader and you cant go wrong: (This is from a guide on platoon leading which I wrote on our forums

+A happy platoon is a platoon on the move. If you sit waiting too long then your most reactive members will get bored. The same applies for defending/ attacking or grinding too long

+ Morale will drop if it has taken twenty minutes to prep a perfect tank column and then it gets blown to smithereens in 30 seconds (this happens a lot)

+ Monitor you squads: Has someone run off to The Crown on Indar? Kick him without mercy, to create a spot for a person who will listen on teamspeak. (I kick my own officers and members if they are not following waypoints- even if they are on team speak. They know its not personal, but a platoon must move as one- if they are lagging then they get kicked)

+ Keep it light-hearted: Screaming or insulting your squaddies won’t achieve anything. The same goes for squad members, kick anyone who is being a d***

+ Keep it simple: Attempting to separate a squad into smaller groups is a sign you are micromanaging- which isn’t always a good thing.

I have a lot more tips as I have been leading full platoons since launch, but yeah- it aint easy.
  10. thekiller2002us

I know I might have gone off topic a bit ^^^
  11. Ghery88

In theory we should be able to field 1.5 platoons. However, in practice, the current record is 28 people, and that was set last Friday. To make life even more fun, we hit a TS client limit with that - so fixing that is our main priority now.

I read all your guides a couple of weeks ago, they mostly fall in line with my and my fellow Hungarians' views. That's not an issue. Our outfit is well organized apart from the occasional slip ups. We always find ourselves way beyond our main forces and end up defending places against whole platoons.

I view these as strategical delays, as in our two squads and a couple of random guys are holding significantly larger forces at one place for valuable minutes, while causing as much damage as possible. With that other NC forces could act more freely. Sometimes we got reinforced in time, but mostly this isn't the case. After these we fall back, regroup and start over.

Don't worry about getting off topic. This thread is for discussing views, ideas and leading methods.

P.s. Cobalt NC! Learn to stand on the CP's for Higby's sake, damn it! I loathe the sight of an NC zerg around an outpost with 2/6 standing at A...
  12. Ribero

I think The Re4pers initially started out as quite a casual venture, with teamplay in mind though nothing particularly well co-ordonated. With the introduction of Alerts however, we're slowly starting to get our act together and now aim to work together with whichever Outfits have platoons up and running at the same time as us.

Come actual Alert time we typically field a full platoon of mixed composition; RE4, the public and other Outfit members, with other Re4pers often being parts of other outfit's squads.

Anyway, I'd agree that the NC isn't so quick to mobilise. Both in the sense of getting Arses out of Warpgates and smaller things such as replacing downed Sundies, getting AA when Libs are on the horizon
    • Up x 1