[Suggestion] Airborn Flashes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nalothisal, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Nalothisal

I'd like to see this be a thing in Planetside.

I know there was a kind of air-flash thingy in PS1, but I'd like them to make something unique to Planetside 2 and not just ported. So here we go.

Picture if you will an empire specific air-flash. This thing can fly about as high as the tower landing pads for max height and would have a unique "passive hover", which would mean that if you were flying at max height and came to a dead stop the craft would fall until it was a foot or so off the ground and stop and not descend further, (Unless you hit crouch, then you can crush the wee person under the vehicle and get a pancake bonus :p), at which point it would sit there hovering a foot off the ground as long as the pilot stayed in it, (think of it as thrust analog being passively engaged). This craft could easily "fly" over the ground at the Valerye's speed, (I think its 125 kph), and float over small rocks and stuff. It wouldn't be able to float over a cliff, you'd have to fly over it. Now based on what faction you are pulling this for it would have different flying capabilities.

For the TR the craft would have more focus on speed than anything else. It would have the fastest ascent and descent and overall speed. The faction specific ability for the TR is a thing I will call "Air Compressors". This will allow the craft to jump, even above the max height, (but wouldn't be able to maintain this height).
    For the VS the craft would be more focused on faster strafe and overall agility while holding the mid range in speed. The faction specific ability for the VS would be a "Super Charged" version of the mag burner, (maybe a poor mans version of after burn)?

And finally the NC would be the toughest, having the best in armor while sacrificing speed and agility to achieve this. Their faction specific ability would be a passive shield that would absorb all damage until it is inevitably overwhelmed and you start hitting the vehicle, (Think of it as a personal shield for the vehicle like what all infantry have).

(Don't worry, none of them would have Wraith).

And finally a default ability that all these craft have, a self destruct feature. Once activated it will kick you out of the vehicle and allow you to land on the ground safely while speeding off in the general direction you were last pointed at and explode dealing mass damage to all infantry targets while doing very little to armor, (basically two rocket shots in the rear of the Vanguard for a damage reference)

Now for the weapons. The default would be dual Basilisk (the one on the Sundy) in a fixed direction, forward, and it would not be able to turn, you would have to turn the vehicle to aim it, (it'd handle like the Magrider and fly like a Phoenix with a sensitivity buff). The craft would be able to equip any of the normal guns you'd find on the Harrasser (aside from the Bulldog, I'd want a hybrid Bulldog/Halbeird cross to fill the role of a HE gun).

If you have made it this far, you're probably saying that this thing is way OP. Well here are it's weaknesses. For starters the cost for such a vehicle would be around the price for a Valkyrie. Secondly this craft is not the strongest, (it's actually weaker than the ESFs), composite armor can help mitigate this. That plus this counts as an aircraft so both ground and air lock-ons can lock on this craft. Plus bursters would just murder these craft, so have fun MAXs. :p

Soooooooooooooo that's my idea. Prob not the best place to put it but eh why not?
    Oh and here are what I think they should loosely look like....
    NC:
    [IMG]

TR:
    [IMG]

VS:
    [IMG]
    Enjoy :p
  2. FateJH

*rummages through the PlanetSide Classic wiki for something that might be considered an "air Flash"*
    Do you mean this?

3. ColonelChingles

Two standard dumbfire rockets to the rear of a Vanguard would do 2,383.5 damage... over half of the HP of the Vanguard! :eek:

Somehow that counts as "very little"? I'm almost frightened as to what you would think of as "some" damage!

Oh great. Not only were Harassers with Vulcan-Hs already enough of a problem, now I have to deal with single person vehicles that can avoid my shots in three dimensions which are also faster and more maneuverable than a Harasser. With a Vulcan-H.

[IMG]

A 250 nanite cost would still make it much cheaper than the Lightning tank which it could easily shred. Not only that, but you know what else is just slightly weaker than an ESF?

A Harasser.

Yea. We definitely don't need a single-person flying Harasser running around with Vulcan-Hs galore. Especially ones that can knock off over half the HP of a Vanguard without firing a shot.
    • Up x 2
  4. TheFlamingLemon

I like the idea of an air flash, but not like this. I think it should be much more like the grounded flash. It should be fairly agile, fly like a Valkyrie on hardcore steroids, cost 100 nanites, move at about 300 kph, and not come standard with a gun. It should have wraith cloaking, (that would stop locks,) an ability that functions as a turbo (that boosts it to 400kph and had the same active time and recharge rate as an ESF with external fuel), an ability that allows it to dive to the ground like a drop pod but stay intact when it lands and dealing damage like a vanguard HE round, and when the person gets back in, they press the same key to make it launch 20m in air and begin flying again (with a recharge of 60 seconds to drop pod again by default, upgrades would make it 45 sec, 30 sec, and 20 sec,) an ability that lets it deploy as a radar station, detecting things at 50m, 75m, 125m, 175m, and 250m, an ability letting it deploy as an auto turret with a basilisk and shoot enemies at up to 100m (it could be set to pref vehicles by pressing page down), and an ability that lets it deploy and function as a manned turret, using any gun available to the harasser. (Sorry for sentence run-on and grammar holocaust.) Deployments would be able to deploy anywhere, whether on the ground or in the air. (these are just ideas I have yet to judge myself on if they are good). It would be able to fly as high as it wanted also. I love the models that you set out. I like the idea of auto-land so that a person could jump out and it would safely land itself. As for health, I also think it should be able to take a bit less than an ESF. I hope this gets made.
  5. Nalothisal

[IMG]

My bad I forgot to edit some things out:

I know there was a kind of air-flash thingy in PS1, but I'd like them to make something unique to Planetside 2 and not just ported. So here we go.

Picture if you will an empire specific air-flash. This thing can fly about as high as the tower landing pads for max height and would have a unique "passive hover", which would mean that if you were flying at max height and came to a dead stop the craft would fall until it was a foot or so off the ground and stop and not descend further, (Unless you hit crouch, then you can crush the wee person under the vehicle and get a pancake bonus :p), at which point it would sit there hovering a foot off the ground as long as the pilot stayed in it, (think of it as thrust analog being passively engaged). This craft could easily "fly" over the ground at the Valerye's speed, (I think its 125 kph), and float over small rocks and stuff. It wouldn't be able to float over a cliff, you'd have to fly over it. Now based on what faction you are pulling this for it would have different flying capabilities.

For the TR the craft would have more focus on speed than anything else. It would have the fastest ascent and descent and overall speed. The faction specific ability for the TR is a thing I will call "Air Compressors". This will allow the craft to jump, even above the max height, (but wouldn't be able to maintain this height).
    For the VS the craft would be more focused on faster strafe and overall agility while holding the mid range in speed. The faction specific ability for the VS would be a "Super Charged" version of the mag burner, (maybe a poor mans version of after burn)?

And finally the NC would be the toughest, having the best in armor while sacrificing speed and agility to achieve this. Their faction specific ability would be a passive shield that would absorb all damage until it is inevitably overwhelmed and you start hitting the vehicle, (Think of it as a personal shield for the vehicle like what all infantry have).

(Don't worry, none of them would have Wraith).

And finally a default ability that all these craft have, a self destruct feature. Once activated it will kick you out of the vehicle and allow you to land on the ground safely while speeding off in the general direction you were last pointed at and explode dealing mass damage to all infantry targets while doing very little to armor, (basically one rocket shots in the rear of the Vanguard for a damage reference)
    Now for the weapons. The default would be dual Basilisk (the one on the Sundy) in a fixed direction, forward, and it would not be able to turn, you would have to turn the vehicle to aim it, (it'd handle like the Magrider and fly like a Phoenix with a sensitivity buff). The craft would be able to equip any of the normal guns you'd find on the Sunderer (Maybe not the bulldog or fury).

If you have made it this far, you're probably saying that this thing is way OP. Well here are it's weaknesses. For starters the cost for such a vehicle would be around the price for a Valkyrie, maybe more. Secondly this craft is not the strongest, (it's actually weaker than the ESFs), composite armor can help mitigate this. That plus this counts as an aircraft so both ground and air lock-ons can lock on this craft. Plus bursters would just murder these craft, so have fun MAXs. :p

Point out more things that I missed, (I did not have a good sleep).
  6. Archiadus

They've already discovered got the technology ( It's been patched out of the game due to evil players abusing it though :( ).

7. Pelojian

While a nice idea. with weapons that can do AV, being able to wraith cloak and having true flight would be a recipe for disaster balance wise.

more for tanks to look out for and hope the enemy driver is bad. wraith AV flashes are bad enough what about flying wraith AV flashes which would be almost completely impossible to hit over regular flashes, lets not forgot people would use the to deliver C4 and LAs would use it to fly above a tank cheaply and C4 said tank after bailing out outside the tank's ability to see the threat.

Nice idea but no matter how they do it there will be balance or gameplay problems.
    • Up x 1
  8. Hammerlock

why get VS a covie thing ?
    this fits more to VS
    [IMG]
    TR
    [IMG]
    NC
    [IMG]
  9. FateJH

OP already said that his proposal would exclude Wraith capabilities.

I'd suggest, however, that ESFs are more than sufficient Vehicles for anything the OP might desire out of his "air Flash."
  10. Pelojian

I could see some room for an all-terrain hover flash (hovers over water and the toxic kill water without getting killed, except in pits of water where there is no escaping cause boxed in by terrain you can't climb).

But weaponless and doesn't fly just hovers. let it have turbo as a utility option. no wraith cloak. let it have scout radar in utility slot (shared with flash) inbuilt mine guard to protect the driver and passenger from mines.

Different from the regular flash, less dakka more utility and mobility over terrain. I could see it being highly useful as a tool like the valk is to pilots who know how to use it well, those dudes are hard to kill with AA.
  11. ColonelChingles

If you want an "air Flash", why not literally just take the stats of the Flash and adjust it for flight?

750 HP- Weaker than a land Flash because it must be light enough to fly. A short burst of small arms fire can easily down it.
    150 Nanites- More expensive to make something fly than with wheels.
    No passengers- Sorry, weight saving measure.
    Weapons- Can carry what the land Flash carries, except the Fury (too heavy). So that's Renegade, Kobalt, and Basilisks.
    Wraith- Not on your life.
    Speed- About the same as a land Flash.
    Attaching C4- Nope. Will make your air Flash as wonky as putting an ammo pack on a Valk.
    Suicide Divebombing- Try crashing a Flash into a MBT. Tell me what happens. Now why would a lighter, weaker craft do more damage?

I think that would be rather balanced. :)
    • Up x 1
  12. Nalothisal

Hmm...I'm glad you come to my threads good sir. I like it.
  13. TheFlamingLemon

There'd be no point to that. They would just get farmed, especially if they only went flash speeds. These things should be FAST and should have wraith cloaking but with very not powerful guns, like what you mentioned. I think C4 attachment should work just because it'd be so fun to do a synchronized C-4 kamikaze into an enemy galaxy.
  14. Nalothisal

As I stated before this thing would not have wraith if you want the guns on it at all. While I will agree that this Air-Flash should at least be able to go as fast as the current valk and as far as your C-4 thingy, you could try it but you'd have a hard time hitting that gal as they only fly/hover at the height of the tower landing pads.
  15. Thardus

Anything else in this thread aside...
    Yes, I want to see the Switchblade brought back as a VS ES Flash or other vehicle, with or without the turret mode.

While we're on the subject of PS1, I'd love to see VS get the Radiator, TR get the Maelstrom, and NC get the Dragon, and NS get the Thumper.