*Aim* *Freeze* *Dead*

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Verviedi, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Verviedi

Since the valkyrie update, I have been encountering an incredibly gamebreaking bug. My FPS is 60, but as soon as I engage an enemy and he starts firing, I freeze for 10 seconds or more. All I hear in this freeze is his weapon firing super fast in an endless loop, and voice chat. When the freeze ends, I see the death screen. Please fix this. It's
    killing my effectiveness.

In addition, whenever I fly anything and I go to a fight, I get about 1-6 fps. This did not happen before the Valk update.
    • Up x 8
  2. Alan Kalane

YES
    yes
    Me too
    pls fix
    • Up x 3
  3. Yeahy

What are your specs?
    Did you change any settings in your game files recently?
  4. Leftconsin

Happens to me too. Happens to a lot of people.
    • Up x 1
  5. ronjahn

This seems like an intense case of hitching. I get the same effect, but usually it only freezes/makes that noise for a second or so before I am at my death screen. It's frustrating enough for me, sucks to hear it is so bad for you.
  6. Konstantinn

I attributed it to a bit more lag than usual. With galaxy all people are inside you don't have to render them in and out of range. You simply get direction of where turrets are pointing which isn't much network overhead.

With Valk they can be in rumble seats, flying in and out of render distance relatively quickly (as in quicker than walking). That creates network overhead to send their quickly changing position, direction of where they are pointing, with what weapon, and animation. Don't forget that those firing arc vectors are changing quickly because of Valk's speed, which have to be calculated. Could put instant stress on your system both network and video for a second or two. It's basically like 5 mosquitoes/reavers/scythes (the valk itself plus 4 in rumble seats) instantly coming into range.

In case of walking, prediction algorithm will show up as you walking straight if send/receive packets are missed which compensates for some lag in first person shooters, with Valk that prediction would be much more difficult to make.

You'd think something like this would be trivial for today's computers and networks, it's not though. I remember a few years ago playing Darkfall, full loot pvp MMO. Always on guard as anyone could try to kill you and take all your stuff. Large seamless loading world and all. So any time a player would enter a certain area around you, there would be this slight hitching. Noticeable quite easily. So you knew to be careful, which is kind of game breaking and devs tried to fix it for years without any success.
  7. minhalexus

Maybe it's SOEs new scheme of giving new players the illusion of killing high BR player?
  8. Joay

Dude, wrong thread. Everything freezes sometimes up to several seconds. This has nothing to do with network lag, but simply with an error in the code.

vote here so this gets some attention:

http://ps2issuetracker.com/browse/PS-243
    http://ps2issuetracker.com/browse/PS-273
  9. Blippy

My performance has gone up by 15-30 FPS as of late, but I suffer from hitching. That's the fault of me only having 4GB of RAM though.
  10. Konstantinn

Dude, reading comprehension is important. I was talking about both, network lag and loading resources to render objects. You can have the best bug free code in the world and it's not going to speed up how resources transfer from your HDD into memory and into cpu cache (hence the cpu limitation you see popping up with in game resource monitor even if only 13% of it are used). Valkyries move too fast to smoothly load player models that might be sitting in rumble seats. It's something that hasn't been done in this game before. Only other thing that can move a player model that quickly is a jump pad, but that's done over much shorter distances in most cases.

I'm curious is anyone with more than 4GB memory having this issue? Though video memory might play bigger part in this.
  11. Joay

Exactly. Those theories of yours might be an issue for 1-2 sec, like you say, but the op said its like 10 sec, which i and many others, can confirm.

Maybe there is some ground to it, but it seems to be completely independent of whether a valkyrie is near or not. As a matter of fact, whenever a valk is near, it seems absolutely unproblematic. I also have more than 4GB ram and the system / game is on an ssd.

So, its not just "a bit more lag than usual"