Afterburner pods

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by IamnotAmazing, Apr 1, 2014.

1. IamnotAmazing

These need a direct buff

-When these are equipped they should not have the hover thrust activation penalty, this makes fighting libs insanely hard
    -Don't allow weapons to reload while the other weapon is being fired ( ie firing a missile, then shooting the nosegun while reloading the missile
    -Increase the thrust so that they can dodge coyotes/ just a general speed improvement

Also there needs to be an auraxium medal for nosegun kills while using the afterburner pods

note this isn't elitism, ab pods should provide as much as an advantage as a weapon
    • Up x 8
  2. dstock

Let's take bets on where this goes. IMO,

Vanu: 'ib4 L2P'

NC: 'i can't get kills without AB pods, don't take my crutch!'

TR: *bong rips* 'huh, I thought you said Play Station?'
  3. Schwak

Ghost reloading should have been done away with a long time ago. I do believe that they need to get rid of the initial hover burst penalty though since it greatly effects people that don't have certed AB tanks. I personally don't have a problem fighting libs and rarely if ever die, but when I do.. hyena!
    • Up x 1
  4. Obstruction

they did do away with it on tomcats for a while. then they put it back in. this effect is what makes tomcats and coyotes extremely effective in the hands of high skill pilots. (while still basically being garbage in the hands of garbage pilots, go figure.) however, i also think ESF nose gun ammo reserves should go back up. a lot of the higher skill guys are crutching on this ghost reload tactic because it helps stretch that ammo budget, against groups of bads, and especially against skilled libs.

i doubt i'll be heard on that though. i'm still waiting for the ammo nerfs to come down in the april rebalance.
    • Up x 1
  5. IamnotAmazing

Yeah, I'd still like to use the rotaries just for their dps except for the m18 obviously, but I find it hard just cause of the ammo cap.
  6. IamnotAmazing

7. Crackulous

I don't see a reason for the implementation of an Auraxium medal for afterburners, but the remainder I agree with. I doubt I can dodge Coyotes regardless of your suggested changes, but it's worth a try. I'm rather fond of the reloading mechanism in game for solely A2G reasons though.
  8. Kadulu

Problem is afterburner is not useful anymore.

Before all the air lock ons ****, it was perfect for specializing you aircraft into A2A, now for A2A, you take lock on missiles and you shoot an ennemy without the risk of being killed by someone better than you.

So no use for afterburner upgrade. If aircrafts could specialize in avoiding lock ons coming from air or currently from coyote, you could use this specialization. For now it is not worth investing.
  9. IamnotAmazing

that's exactly what I"m saying, they need to provide as much as an vantage as a weapon. I mainly want the hover nerf undone
    Why not? Ghost reloading has a massive advantage, and makes it able to output way too much damage for a2, or a2g, it shouldn't be a mechanic.
  10. Thurwell

Fuel pods are probably never going to be as good as a second weapon as long as we have the double reload mechanic on ESFs.

A really good pilot right now can beat a coyote user with fuel pods, but for newer pilots coyotes are basically a requirement to start flying A2A. That seems like a bad thing to me.
  11. rguitar87

AB pods are fine.

I say leave the penalty. I love the helplessness and futility that some of my victims experience when I charge them. :rolleyes:
  12. IamnotAmazing

well that was more meant against liberators, and I have other ways of dodging rushes ( at least against tribal who normally beat me if he rushed)
  13. rguitar87

Tribal is a studious monk of the Temple of Vortek.
    • Up x 1
  14. IamnotAmazing

it seems as if he's broken from the holy path though
  15. Kadulu

I like the idea of the medal because it may be one of the additional reasons pilots do not use afterburners for now. It is true that if a pilots takes a secondary weapon, it has twice the chances to get a medal and so it can get more XP. But afterburner medals should only be given on kills or maybe on high level maneuvers. This would allow the afterburner to give XP to people training on maneuvers AND on people actually participating to the fight
  16. rguitar87

I beg your pardon?
  17. Volccis

Extra AB Pods already have very huge advantages.
    +Survivability
    +Movability
    +Mandatore against good Liberator crews
    +You can actually outrun a non-extra ab pod user with Racer
    +Works well with Rotary+Racer in live server against other ESFs
    +Skychariot points +9000

-Worse in actual 1v1 hover dogfight against Coyote/A2AM user (if both are equal skilled)
  18. battlebrot

Increased ammo pool when using AB pods would do what you want maybe since this would indirectly buff Rotarys against Libs. Speaking from my Vortek experience, i think twice if I want to engage a lib because it will cost me ~50% of the total ammo, sometimes more if I have to dodge and keep distance since I miss more bullets and lack damage due to dropoff.

Higher total count with AB pods would also make sense mechanic-wise...
  19. IamnotAmazing

I've seen him using the mustang, very disgraceful
    Yeah I guess more space for ammo as the plane doens't need to store a secondary weapon
  20. rguitar87

This is not so. The Mustang gave birth to the Vortek. The story is contained within our most sacred text, the Treatise of Reaver, revealed by our great prophet MittMorren.
    • Up x 2