After 2 years the cloak it's not garbage anymore, what's next?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Skeith, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Skeith

i still have to pinch myself from time to time when i can walk thru enemy lines without getting detected, i mean after 2 years of ranting and screaming that the cloak visibility was ****, and SOE constantly ignoring every bit of feedback that we gave them, it's kinda hilarious that as soon daybreak took over it got fixed in less than 6 months.

now that we got one of the major problems with the class out of the way, what do you think we need to be a true infiltrator class?

i vote for vehicle hacking or more stuff to hack inside an enemy base, would make stalkers much more important than they are now, because let's be real they are still a very niche class that can only pretty much kill stuff and that's about it.
  2. RevJimJonez

"i still have to pinch myself from time to time when i can walk thru enemy lines without getting detected"

What cloak are YOU using? I need to get me some of that!

I can still get mowed down in all kind of nooks and crannies I try to hide in with the stalker cloaking. Hell, I even get sniped from time to time when I'm cloaked.
  3. Skeith

you need to croch walk, the slower you move the less visible you became
  4. CuteBeaver

I still think NAC could use some love. Smg users often complain about cloak being pretty detrimental. When i use NAC its more to break off and disengage or to clear spots. However it was made obvious by the level of frustraiton when PS2 was suffering from the invisibility bugs... that the unreleased specter cloaking device would be a terrible, and frustrating substitute for NAC. (For those that didn't know specter cloaking was on the PTestServer years ago, and the tooltip explained that when the infiltrator cloaked they would be 100% invisible however the duration of the cloak lasted roughly 3 or so seconds.) So because of all the tears, salt, and loss of players due to those invisibility bugs, I think it would be unlikely NAC becomes less visible... and even less likely that Specter cloaking ever leaves PTS.

That really only leaves a handful of other ways NAC could be made more useful. Personally I like the idea Wrel came up with a few months ago, it made NAC more helpful not only from small arms fire, but also compensated for the cruddy decloak delay that often gets us destroyed through no fault of our own.

(From Wrel and was tweeted in discussion to the Devs regarding NAC changes a few months back.)

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1skq1sm

For those that need a reference why 400 was used... under perfect circumstances infils using NAC will soak an extra 315 dmg. The developers were toying around with the idea of somehow giving SMG infils slightly more health. His solution appears to have been increase the cloaks ability to soak damage by roughly 100.

As Wrel explained currently even with our 315 cap, we often don't ever see any real mitigation reaching those numbers because using the cloak defensively means your already taking damage before client-side allows the cloak to kick in. This is also why some people (like Jawa) legitimately prefer to use Nanoweave so they don't have to worry about any client-side timing issues. They get the flat rate of nanoweave all the time, however the downside is nanoweave does not protect their heads.
    • Up x 2
  5. Skeith

personally beaver, a cloaked armor is a stupid game mechanic, one example is the cloaking device that Phantom the most recent mercenary from dirty bomb uses, getting damaged drains the cloak, but that's adds 2 walls for the enemy player to bypass

1) you need to spot the enemy cloaker
    2) you need to gun him down but first you need to bypass the shield

if this changes goes trough SMG infiltrators will became even more annoyng than they currently are right now, and that's the biggest issue with the class right now, we are just seen as nothing more than cheese killers, instead of a stealth saboteur that can mess you up big time if he sneaks in undected.
  6. CuteBeaver

How so?

Once cloak is removed your still 900 hp versus their 1000.
    The infil cannot fire upon enemies with any health advantages...

I still don't see the problem... I think your confusing NAC with stalker cloak. Id much rather prefer something like this, then giving SMG infils +100 extra hp like the developers were considering at the time. Reason being the -100 when uncloaked is still incentive to flank. SMG = mobile anyway and cloak is horrible for sprinting. It makes sense to give NAC some more utility since they wont be improving its stealth capabilities.

I do agree that the idea behind an armor cloak is a little weird.... but how else could the Devs possibly flavor an SMG / CQC cloak?

Developers have already said we cannot move faster then the pump due to hit detection issues. That rules out Haste Cloaking (That was also a thing on PTS where the infil moved faster but took much more damage)

We already know that making NAC invisible like Specter cloaking is a horrible idea...

The only other option i could see is either traps, or possibly armor. And traps are not always fun for people on the receiving end, hense why our mines have blinking lights on them + AOD hud. So that leaves us with.... armor or whatever else we can brainstorm that hasn't been mentioned or tried yet.
    • Up x 1
  7. Scr1nRusher

The Infiltrator needs to finally get the Recon Drone & Vehicle Hacking.
    • Up x 4
  8. o0CYV3R0o

Stalker Cloak on the ps4 version is now completely broken! :(

Any kind of movement now makes you as obvious as you are when you run making Stalking almost impossible!

Stalker is my favorite class and now its completely broken. (wonders if the Dark Light bug will ever be fixed)
  9. Skeith

i think there is a time and place for that but imo the priority is actually improving or overhauling hacking and giving us a more certified role, i mean we are called infiltrators and still we have little to no reason to lurk inside an enemy base with such a limited amount of stuff to hack.
    • Up x 1
  10. Titanshells

You just hit the nail on the head with this one.
  11. CuteBeaver

I think we can all agree hacking needs a revamp. Trouble is the amount of work to make that happen... If you think fixing NAC would take effort consider the requirements for a hacking revamp... Level design, someone would need to sit down and create hacking objectives with code. Hell id settle for moving terminals out of pain fields. ;) That has been broken for several months especially on Hossin.

I'd love to see a hacking revamp honestly but they even took interlink facilities out of the game... Until that comes back... I won't hold my breath. Hmm... I'm Probably just jaded after 2 years waiting for hacking improvements... This post sounds jaded . I think i need to hug some engineers or something.
  12. Moonheart

I just returned after a long pause... what exactly did change that makes our cloak more viable?

So far, I had some strange surprise while playing, like some foe spotting me at more than 15mn when being perfectly still and silent (and crouched, naturaly). I had not the feeling it was better than three-four months ago.
    Well it's still not "garbage", I've never agreed about such statement about our cloak, but I don't feel it improved.
  13. breeje

i play mostly as an smg infil and i still think the the cloak needs some adjustments

- i need to become completely invisible after 50/60 meters
    it is out off smg range, i can not harm the enemy
    so i think it's only fair that i can't bee seen at this distance

- if we run in shadows we should be less visible
    like a true infil we would use our surroundings to our advantage

- ad 2 more seconds to the cloak
    it seems to me i always need 2 extra seconds to go from cover to cover
    or if i want to knife he is always a little to far away

now do we need an adjustment to the cloak or a new cloak for the smg infil ?
    when i play as a sniper (4x scope only) the cloak is fine like it is
    and wen i play stalker i would only lower the visibility when running
    my vote go's to a new cloak for smg infils and can only be equipped with the smg
    it's time the smg infil gets separated from the sniper, just like the stalker
  14. Plastikfrosch

would be cool if there would be actually doors that can be hacked to barricade a room and the enemy has to hack it back to come in (and please not only "press and hold E", make it some kind of minigame).
  15. Voross

There needs to be more stuff to hack...we've spend way too many certs on this to only use it every few bases.
  16. Iridar51

[IMG]

Now that you said it, it makes sense for engineer to have the utility of being huggable, which boosts morale and gives +1 to luck.
    • Up x 1
  17. Epicstrat

Personally, I'm up for round 2 of the infiltrator update in which:
    • Devs take a look at semi auto snipers
    • We get a revamp on some weapon models, like MAX weapons got and LMGs are getting
    • Devs take a look at the state of melee
    • Introduce Recon Drone
    • Devs take a look at the utility of Hacking, and what can be done to improve it (i.e. expand hacking to other things)
    • Introduce a new round of faction specific scout rifles. TR get a bolt action because they got the TRAP last time
    • Faction pistols get the ability to use optics
    • Bring back revamped decoy grenades (I thought they could be changed into hologram emitters)
    • Give Infiltrator Archer
    • Infiltrator can now use battle rifles (Just to complete that stupid directive)
    • New cloak: Give additional move speed while cloaked (I think this is a long shot...)
    That's all the (reasonable) changes I can think of. I think the least likely to happen are a hacking change and a return of decoy grenades. I have some more radical changes that, while I would very much enjoy seeing, I doubt will ever make it into the game so I'm only focusing on things that I believe are a possibility. However, before we go around giving infiltrator a bunch of cool stuff, I also think other classes deserve some love. Engineer has gotten a lot lately, but classes like Medic, LA, and (I loathe saying it) HA are very similar to how they were at launch. Mostly LA, but Medic has gotten what? Bubble and another rifle? (I'm seriously asking, correct me if I'm wrong) HA has gotten a new rocket launcher (which -cough- Striker -cough- are still not in a great spot...) And LA, oh man poor poor LA, they are stuck with only getting items that were added to every class and Icarus jump jets which I hardly see anyone ever use. Hopefully we see a lot of changes and updates to the classes in 2016. Personally, I would like them to wait and release all the class updates at once. With so much new content at once it would revitalize the game and we would have a few crazy weeks while people figure out what is good and how to use it.
    • Up x 1
  18. Sharkasaur

please for the love of god fix equipped knives =(
    • Up x 1
  19. Moonheart

I have the same feeling, but I do see some little things the devs could to to easily change the matter.

1- Do not reset the faction of a terminal/turret when it is destroyed
    One of the factor that makes hacking so much underwhelming is that any enemy can overcome it just shooting at the thing you hacked. There is not need for counter-hack. People just blow it, and wait for the numerous engineers to repair it. Problem solved.
    If destroying a terminal would not reset its controls, people would have to call us to take it back.

2- Make the SCU/generators only hackable efficiently by infiltrators
    Why call infiltrators when the most important targets can be hacked by anyone and almost as fast? Why do not also give everyone a repair gun that repairs at 50% speed of the engineer?
    If it's too much to ask for an exclusivity, at least hacking without the proper and certed hacking tool should take a significient time, which is not the case... We could also make such you cannot hack while moving, so taking more time to hack makes that you put yourself in danger a long time

3- Add a "hacking" option on capture points
    Using hacking on the capture point (max 1 infiltrator by capture point) would increase slightly (very slightly) the speed at which the progress bar increase toward the control of your faction.

Those are things that only need a change into general rules, and not modifiying each layout of each base of the game one by one, and it will really give the hacking a more proeminent place into the strategy.
  20. DragonOps

My friend recently called me back to Planetside since my favorite class got a cloak buff. Well I check the update, deep cloak itself wasn't change. Every person above BR 50 sees me in deep cloak and every other person and their family has at least one weapon with dark light which is a no brainer to use.

Heck, snipers have it good because you cant use sight or darklight against their cloak 99% of times. They can hide behind cover while regening cloak if needed.

Stalker cloak really needs a buff. Infinite cloak isn't as amazing as it sounds because if you stand still, some guy will walk up to you and kill you.