[Guide] Aegis Shield

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Vanon, May 24, 2013.

1. RHINO_Mk.II

To be fair, you can also block 2 and a half C4 with it, which would otherwise destroy a vanguard - without taking any damage. The shield seems to have strange resistance values.
  2. Goretzu

The problem with crouching (besides the obvious movement issue) is that it opens up anyone stood behind you to being hit in the head (dispite the fact that they cannot fire back without hitting your shield :confused: ).

Also when not crouching your feet can be directly hit (no just with AOE) if people are good shots.
  3. Bape

Make a video of aegis shield being useful rather writing Guide like anyone will take you're word you don't even have your sig on your account you can be a VS/TR for all I know or a **** NC player who thinks he knows what hes talking about.
  4. Dreganius

I'm running Aegis Lv3 and Nanites Lv3 at the moment (The Shield taking damage does NOT interrupt nanite regen! :D), saving for the next level of Aegis, and I tell you what, I prefer it over my TR MAX Lockdown. Sure, charge would be more suitable when MAXcrashing, or when facing an entire firing squad by yourself, but I find Aegis has saved my life more often than Charge has already. Maybe I'm just really bad at using Charge, but I don't feel that's the case. The survivability (and to a degree, versatility) that the Aegis offers you, after a bit of practice, is good. Very good. I have a story of why I like the Aegis (one of many), which I'll share for those interested.

Last night on Briggs, as the NC zerg was pushing up from Rust Mesa to Crimson Bluff, I jumped into the back of a Harasser with 41BN's best gal pilot, Gagging, and an outfitmate of mine, dnatstah. As we were trying to drive around the zerg, gagging accidentally (or intentionally, we may never know) threw his Harasser down a cliff to the east of Zurvan North Satellite. It flipped, spun, and we all got out before it went boom. Due to being separated from his outfit, Gagging redeployed and rejoined them. My outfitmate and I decided instead to soften the TR Satellite, as after we capped Crimson Bluff, said northern satellite would be up for grabs.
    Stranded away from the main force, my squadmate an Engi, we made our way into the satellite. After mowing down a few infantry that had spawned there to attack Zurvan Amp itself, which was owned by the Vanu, we fell back to the point building, and set up shop there. They constantly sent heavies to try and deal with us, and thrice, they killed my squadmate, which was fine as he could squad-drop by the time that occured each and every time.

Without the AEGIS shield and Nanites, I would have died three times over. Almost every battle would be fought as this, from downtime to combat to downtime: Listen for footsteps coming up the stairs, pull out the Aegis, walk around the corner when I heard them close enough, catch a dumbfire or two, drop shield, mow hostiles down, pull out Aegis, listen and ensure building is clear, go hunting if it wasn't. This occured around six more times, with three to five people rushing in after us each time, and although I did occasionally catch a rocket without the Aegis up, Nanites or my squadmate took care of that. Eventually they tried something new, and brought in three TR MAX suits to try and counter me.
    They rushed the room, I threw up the AEGIS while backing towards the central doorway on the top floor, and eventually ducked through it, just before the shield dropped. This forced them to come through the doorway one by one or risk friendly fire, and we all know how a stock TR MAX will fare against an NC ScatterMAX within 5m. When the dust settled, my Engi was dead a third time, I was on three bars of health, and I could hear more coming up the stairs. I readied myself for a final stand, to be surprised that these new arrivals were friendlies. The zerg had capped Crimson Bluff and the first sparks of the NC hammer had arrived. 'twas glorious.

TL;DR Version: I like the MAX shield a lot, it really increases survivability, and with Nanites, practice/skill and a bit of luck, you can take on a pretty high amount of hostiles.

Situational? Yes.
    Aegis > Charge if I had no idea of what situation I was going into? Yes.
    Fun? Hell yes.
    Also I can play peekaboo with people who are spawn-locked without any risk. It's hilarious.
  5. Vanon

Yep. Using the shield like that requires that the enemy is not flanking, you have guys covering your back or flank, and you eventually can get to cover when the shield runs out.
  6. Vanon

funny story. One time in band camp.... wrong story, oh yea... Early today i ran a platoon in esimir, we where defending commands rest and a few points around there. We held commanders rest outnumbered 2:1. They threw everything at us in various waves. So i am planning to retreat, because generally speaking when fighting twice the number of TR, they just eventually overun you. It didnt happen forever, so i ran to A, and there was dethfield, whom randomly joined my squad (forum name is differnt then ingame name) and 2 other shield max's. it was rather cool. nothing entered that building alive that wasnt NC. Without those 3 guy's and the engineers repairing them, we would of lost every point, and lost it fast. It goes to show you what a compatent player can do with a shield in the right situation. No its not perfect, but its far from useless.
  7. Vanon

My My, aren't we a ******* ray of sunshine. Look twinkletoes, i'm not writing the guide for people like you. I could really care less if you want to cert into the shield or not. I could care less if your effective with it or not. I'm writing this for the people who genuinely like it and want to use it, and i'm writing this for the people that want to try a few differnt ways. Both require an open mind. When i get around to a video i will, but i highly doubt you will understand it or find it useful.

P.S. I'll get to that sig when i believe my logic is weak enough that i need to show my BR, K/D, Clan, XP/hour, whatever, to prove that i know what i'm talking about.
  8. Bape

No I want to see your sig to see if you are a dam NC or a fake vs hiding behind a nc toon lol? also I want to see you're playtime and stats as a max i give 2 ***** about k/d but if you have little max hours then I know you are just ************ so go put you're dam sig up and let continue from there.

easy
    c4? pop shield chances of you dieng is 50/50
    see deci pop shield you will still take high splash damage
    see tank pop shield still take high splash damage
    see infantry pop shield
  9. StalkerGER

when the eagis shield is so good why iam taking dmg trough the shield crouched standing from normal bullets ? i think front dmg is negated not reduced ? at 50 sec normal bullets facing the enemy btw not my vid

10. Vreki

At 50 seconds? Sure, maybe its bleed through. Or one more of these:
    1. Getting shot in the back by allies
    2. Getting shot in the back from the other door behind him
    3. Getting shot in the feet
    4. Lag messes with the shield
    5. Explosions that doesn't render
    PS2 is actually pretty bad at reliably telling you what is hitting you.
    The shield is working ok for me, although there are some occasions where you are left wondering "Is this thing on?"

Also, everybody please ignore the troll. There really is no point in arguing with it.
  11. Purg

I would prefer it have move coverage around the MAX so that you don't have to face your threat head on - because there's rarely only 1 threat and while you're blocking one enemy while moving slowly, others can easily flank and destroy you by taking a few steps sideways.

I was just on my VS and took down a crouched and shielded MAX that was pushed into a corner of a room. Stood right in front of him and just unloaded into his exposed head. The shield was unable to block. The MAX realising this then dropped the shield in a vein effort to return fire.. but it was too late.
  12. Vanon

What your describing is our biggest problem, and something the designers really should of had the foresight to counter. This is why i think everyone, not just NC, wants the shield to be able to meele with the shield deployed, have a wider shield, and be able to absorb more damage. The shield shouldn't be susceptible to pushes, it should be strong against pushes.
  13. Steakbeard

The shield needs to be all over the max. It needs to be the PS1 max shield. Hell, the thing stops us firing, and stops us running. The least it can do is cover our ******** whilst we run in.
  14. Dethfield

What the hell is this crap thats going around on this forum lately. Are some of you NC so cowardly and paranoid you think that there are actually TR and VS players trying to "convince" you to use the shield? And i think its funny that YOU are making the claim of **** NC players, considering your playtime as the MAX, overall playtime, KDR, BR and SPM are all average at best, and inferior to some the others here.
  15. Bape

SPM? that don't mean anything and im mostly infantry so take that to account. Im not a ps1 vet so I started out as a noob hence why my K/D is like that. Also I seen so many aegis organized outfit fail constantly and Im always the idiot that actually listen to them and stand behind the max which really does nothing that why I want a dam video to actually show an aegis shield being useful over Zoe/lockdown?

Also im sure you are a TR since you said you pick it over your tr lockdown. If it so good make a video rather talking of how awesome it is which it not. look at the forums 80% of the NC saying it horrible and need a buff while the 20% (you and venom including tr/vs) say it fine as it is lol. LESS TALK and more videos of how good it is. If it really good then it should not be hard to make a video of the shield being good?:rolleyes: