Aegis Shield vs Counter-Strike Tactical Shield

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chiss, May 24, 2013.

1. Chiss

Tactical Shield;
    http://counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/Tactical_shield

Both these shields act in a very similar way;
    - Shields from frontal attacks
    - Vulnerable to sides

Aegis has very limited health.
    Tactical cannot be broken.

Aegis does nothing while deactivated.
    While tactical is deactivated, you can shoot with a pistol, while still largely shielded.

Aegis takes ~2 seconds to toggle.
    Tactical toggles very quickly.

PS2 is easier to flank, due to open world nature, with more players.
    CS is hard to flank, due to small maps, with limited players.

PS2 is full of explosives.
    Counter-Strike only has grenades.

PS2 has worse hit registration, making it harder to effectively block attacks.
    Counter-Strike generally has extremely good hit registration.

In PS2, enemies can run through you, making it extremely hard to block, and easy to C4 you.
    In Counter-Strike, enemies cannot run through you.

In every single way, the Aegis Shield is worse than the Tactical Shield.
    Yet, no one (except stupid fun) uses the Tactical Shield in Counter-Strike, because it is rubbish.

Explain to me how something that is worse in every possible way is suddenly going to be viable in a game that poses far more threats (easier flanking, more explosives, worse hit registration).

They've literally taken something that was bad, put it into a situation where it will be even worse, then nerfed it drastically.

You could argue that using the Tactical Shield means you only have a pistol, but a Desert Eagle in Counter-Strike is still a very potent weapon (can one hit kill), and while shooting your pistol, you are still largely protected by the Tactical Shield, which more than makes up for the lack of firepower.

Some possible changes (not simultaneous);
    - Wider Shield & Unbreakable
    - Bubble Shield with protection from all angles
    - Allow shooting with secondary weapon while active
    • Up x 3
  2. Jachim

Why are we making this comparison at all? Counter-strike and Planetside 2 are completely different games.

Honestly, they need to go back to the drawing board for both the Aegis and the Lockdown. ZOE is wicked though.

Aegis should make the MAX invulnerable for a short period, but disallow him to open fire, once it drops he can shoot to his hearts content. That way, he can run into a room shielded, take the alpha strike, unshield and lay waste. Maybe have a firing delay. Screw this shield nonsense.

For Lockdown, they need to make it work only on TR specific weaponry, and lower the cooldown and lockdown anchor/deanchor time substantially.
    • Up x 1
  3. Chiss

They're both FPS games, and they are comparable. A front facing shield in a game like PS2 is much less effective than in a game like CS, which i clearly pointed out in my post.
    • Up x 2
  4. Zaik

generally speaking, the person using a tactical shield doesn't have 10x to 16x the health vs small arms that other people do.

that said, i agree that it's terrible, but these posts about how pointless it is have been made since before we even saw the ability being used. we all knew it would be and it was.

at this point, they're obviously not going to listen. it reminds me of how ridiculous rocket pods were at release, about two weeks or so before they finally got nerfed higby was in an interview and said "if they're so powerful then why don't you use them?". so i went and got them and **** all over everything on the ground just like everyone else was. i assume i wasn't the only one, because maybe about 4 days after that we saw a post basically saying "well...i know what i said but y'know we're maybe going to do something about it now."

so, what does this mean? don't use it. if you haven't certed it, don't. if you have certed it, stop trying to "make it work" and just re-equip charge. eventually they're going to catch on and either change it a bit or just UBGL all the MAX abilities because they can't make it work.
  5. treisinegomoh

Chiss - i honestly think you should stop right now, calm down and let some time pass while the typical overreactions to all fresh new weapons flatten.

This is now what, the 6th thread of you about how OP ZOE is (and how bad Aegis is)? If something is apparently OP then it will be nerfed more sooner than later and if something is incredibly UP than i will receive a buff - has happened always.

But if in the end Aegis is a feature not suiting your game play, then sry bro, you have to live with that. It's not like every ES utility is the ultimate tool for everyone. Just ask TR how many of them would trade the Striker for e.g. Phoenix and ask VS how many of them would better take the Fracture over the Vortex.

The game is not all about you ...
  6. Compass

Pffft. Counter Strike shield.

The Urban Chaos shield is the best tactical shield in the world. It stops ROCKET LAUNCHERS (and grenades and bullets).

Also has a draw time of half a second.
  7. Zcuron

At first glance, what you say is true.

But the person in CS doesn't have 10-16X the HP of his comrades.
    Nor does he have dual shotguns equipped.

So if you had an indestructible shield which toggles "very quickly"...

@Being constructive;
    I saw an interesting suggestion about having the shield extend while crouching.

I think that might be a good place to start.
  8. Goretzu

I dunno, ignoring MAX ability balance the ageis shield has so glaring flaws.

Feet, AOE and crouching need to be sorted, only then will it actually do what it is supposed to do and balance from there (ignoring lag/netcode issues with stuff going through shields).
  9. simmi1717

Some people will say insanely stupid things to keep the upper hand. Some people will even say oh you can't ever use stats to show a weapon is OP because there are so many variables the stats don't cover etc. etc. It seriously pisses me off. You post was so clear and this dumba*s decides to say they are two different games. I mean seriously? Yea thanks for your input captain obvious I thought they were the same game.
  10. Radec594

They are not; as you pointed out yourself, the different nature of "open space" in PS2 and mostly, the scale of battles in this game, don't even slightly live up to the comparison. Not to mention weapons, vehicles and three factions.

Genre logic doesn't work like that, PS2 is also an MMO "it's got tons of players and a healing class, therefore it's the same as world of warcraft right?".

Also, the tactical shield in CS doesn't really help when it's not deployed, it doesn't provide "large cover" as you say, it just hangs off to your side and provides situational protection, read: situational = useless in counter-strike.
  11. Zombo

agreed, lockdown could use a buff, and having the Aegis equip a little faster wouldn't hurt, either

giving the Aegis more HP though should lengthen its regen time drastically, regen time for Aegis is pretty damn sick and NC MAXs have the ability to last extremely long while enemys run out of ammo in the process, there should be something making it beatable up front