Advice for new computer.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by TheAntiFish, Jul 25, 2014.

1. TheAntiFish

Hi, my PC knowhow became outdated at around the time the GeForce7800GTX was going to be the highest-end graphics card on the market.
    So with that said, i could use some help setting up a decent PC capable of running Planetside nicely.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm looking at www.meshcomputers.com I'm looking at spending £1000-1500.
  2. Kirppu1

http://www.logicalincrements.com/
  3. Liam23490

You can build a planetside2 capable PC for quite a bit less than £1000.

Get a good i5 and HD7870 or better.
  4. Smagjus

5. Kirppu1

Elaborate
  6. drakoulakiofgod

use uk.pcpartpicker.com

'PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£177.73 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£75.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£101.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£43.19 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (£369.84 @ More Computers)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£66.88 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£71.17 @ CCL Computers)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.69 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £1075.26
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-25 15:12 BST+0100

Should be able to run it at medium-high maybe ultra pretty damn good.
  7. Smagjus

The order for mainboards seems to rely on the rule "expensive = better". The order for cases doesn't make sense at all. Cases shouldn't even be on the list because you can't order them as the other parts - a choice of 3 or 4 different cases would be sufficient. A $660 case is simply on the list because it is expensive.

Then the coolers which are relatively pointless for non k CPUs. Yet we see the same price tag order.

4GB RAM is not reasonable at times like this, not even for simply surfing the web. Yet the site claims that it is recommended for most games.
  8. Kirppu1

everything else except 780, "GAMER" mobo, and fractal are fine

780 because the 880 is coming in half a year, should get the 760 and then get the 880 with evga step-up
    Something like http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz87d3hp this instead of "Gamer" motherboards
    And this as a case: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-300r.

The reason i would't take the R4 and the Msi mobo is that most of the time you are paying too much just because it has the word "gamer" and the 4 is quite isolated case(pads on the panels)

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nfa14flx Also, add some fans in there, and Win 7 instead of 8 http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-gfc02050. (8 is worse compared to 7)
    Fair enough, but i dare you to have an haswell CPU without aftermarket cooler.

At the end of the line the OP has the ultimate decisions when it comes to getting his computer
  9. TheAntiFish

Haha thanks for the advice, i'm vaguely caught up to where PC's currently are. I'm hoping to run this game on ultra+record decent quality video at the same time.

Will the 880 be worth the wait? Or should i just spank a small fortune on a Superclocked 6gb GeForce GTX Titan?
  10. Smagjus

@Kirppu1
    Got an i7-4930k which (luckily) doesn't come with a boxed cooler. A Noctua nh-d14 does the job.

@TheAntiFish
    The Titans are generally not worth it. Nvidia justifies the high price with a higher double precision performance which doesn't even come to play while playing games.

Running the game on ultra seems to be a matter of luck. With my $1700 rig I can't run it because I generally get <50FPS in the biggest fights and often tend to drop to 30 at ultra. Many people claim that they get stable 60FPS at ultra, I haven't seen a proof for those claims though.

Regarding recording:
    It highly depends on the kind of software you are going to run. Dxtory frankly does a terrible job in Planetside, it decreases my FPS by 5-10FPS regardless of the cores it is running on. Why, I don't know.
    Shadowplay and Open Broadcaster don't have these problems - both cost close to no FPS while recording lossy. Shadowplay doesn't work very well when you run the game in windowed mode which is quite a bummer for me. Open Broadcaster has the best of all, it can either run on the Nvidia encoder which costs no frames, or on an Intel CPU that has a graphics unit which would be almost every CPU on the mainstream market.

With the current information I wouldn't wait for the 880. It COULD be a nice card but it will probably be overpriced for quite a long time.
    • Up x 1
  11. TheAntiFish

Thank you very much, 780 it is!