ADS vs hipfire cqc

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by teks, Oct 7, 2013.

1. teks

I've recently purchased (finally) a new mouse that can present me with some respectable accuracy in close quarters combat, and since then I've retired my ole auto shottie for the VX6-7, and the serpent. For those who aren't VS, the VX6, and the serp are both close quarters carbines, but the VX6 has a hipfire bonus, and the serpent has a faster ROF and less recoil.

The thing is. I'm terribly mixed about hipfire versus ADS. I switch between a Adv. laser VX6, and a foregrip serpent constantly, and honestly can't pick a favorate for the exact same situations.

I feel like all the pro's ADS. Thats what I always see on youtube. A guy killing infantry left and right in .05 seconds aiming down the sights at any range, but for me ADS in any close combat leaves me too slow to dodge his fire, and, more often then not, leaves both of us dead at the same time.

So then I got my hipfire VX6, which has a moderate recoil, and a nasty first shot recoil, but its so accurate with hipfire. It boosts my reaction speed, and leaves me fast enough to seek cover. Problem is I can not stop myself from holding the trigger when the bloom gets too big.

So, I need some practice with both obviously. I think with ADS the problem is that I'm have mediocre accuracy, and with hipfire I need to burst fire more.

but the question, the real question is..which method would you guys take between these weapons, and why?

also tips.
  2. Simferion

Use hipfire in every CQB. If you get the drop on the enemy then you can ADS. ADSing makes you losing time. If the enemy starts to shoot you flinch and you are going to be dead soon. Anyway you can ADSing if you are not so really close.
  3. Ryme

This might help.
  4. Iridar51

Short answer - both. Long answer:

Each gun has effective hip fire range and effective ADS range.
    By effective hip-fire range I mean the range at which you can reliably kill an enemy while not wasting your whole clip, if not with full-auto, then at least with long bursts. Depending on weapon and its attachments, this range may vary from 0m - 5m and up 0m - 25m, or even more.
    Effective ADS range starts at range you can conveniently aim at your target and not lose it to random sidestep (yes, I'm looking at you, 4x-6x scopes), and ends either at your weapon's effective range or your personal visual target acquisition range - some people don't have any problems shooting at enemies so far away they turn to pixel dots, some do.

Both those ranges depend on the gun itself and on its attachments. I can't tell what those ranges are for VX6-7 and Serpent, you have to feel them yourself, through trial and error.
    Generally, you want to ADS only when necessary, because ADSing has lots of disadvantages: it takes time, it narrows your field of vision, it obstructs your vision even more with the gun and scope models and it slows you down.
    LA is a close range class, so it's important to learn when to hip fire and when to ADS. Don't be this guy. If you've kitted out your gun with laser sights, don't ADS in close quarters. But don't pray and spray from the hip at medium range either.

If it helps, try thinking like this - if you notice the enemy first and have time to start shooting him before he notices you, then ADS, it will boost your TTK. If the you notice each other at the same time, or the enemy surprises you, then hip-fire.

You hip-fire in CQC and when you don't have time to ADS at close to medium range, and you have the option of ADSing when situation allows it.

If you tend to tense up and panic, pray and spray in CQC, then remember - sometimes the enemy is as scared of you, as you are scared of him. To be successful in unexpected CQC (unexpected both for you and your opponent), you need to have fast reaction and good hip-fire aim. For example, if you turn over the corner, and see the enemy running towards you at very close range, you can kill him almost instantly. A quick hip-fire burst to the head while he runs towards you, and a knife swing to finish. All you need is practice to have reaction time to do so.

If the target is well within your effective hip-fire range, then go for headshots. If target is withing hugging distance, use your knife, if you feel it will kill your target. Knife swings have infinite DPS, as long as you kill your target with that swing. Missing a swing or leaving the target with a few bars of HP drastically reduces your survival chances.
    If you play your cards right, you can win most of the 1vs1 engagements, the confidence will come with experience.

However, don't force yourself into CQC situations unnecessarily. It is a very dangerous place, and you want to survive as long as possible to maximize your impact.

Summary: hip-fire when within effective hip-fire range or when under fire, ADS if you're shooting first or too far from the enemy.

(a copy paste from my guide - heck, why type the same thing twice)
  5. Lucidius134

Go grab a burst fire carbine w/ a laser and practise in real combat scenarios.

You'll probably die a lot but it has helped me w/ bursting while hip firing.

(That and playing BF3's ADS recoil)
  6. HunterXCooL

I'm no pro but i'm always ADS everytime anyway even in CQC
    CQC here is like 10m. Always aim for the head.
    If I encounter someone when turning corner then i always hipfire a bit then get closed and knifed him to death