[Suggestion] Addition to Friendly Fire system

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DrPapaPenguin, Apr 9, 2018.

1. DrPapaPenguin

Just a short suggestion - add the option to forgive/not forgive when they are teamkilled. Sometimes I mess up and get in front of a friendly without even realising they are there, and as a result they get a friendly fire warning. In this case I want to press "forgive" so that they do not get a potential weapon lock due to my fault.
    • Up x 10
  2. Callyste

Not a bad idea. However, I'd be in favor of offering such option only if you die from friendly fire. I certainly don't want to have popups appear every 3 seconds in busy CQB fights!
    • Up x 2
  3. DrPapaPenguin

Well ofc, random team damage would make it beyond annoying.
    • Up x 2
  4. Callyste

Indeed!
    However to be fair, I believe the game is pretty lenient when it comes to TK penalties.
    I'm a pretty bad shot, usually hitting my ally more often than my enemy when I try to help in their "duel" (thankfully not killing them most of the time, since my aim is about as good as that of a blind, overactive mouse on cocaine) and I have yet to actually be penalized for it.

Still, that's good suggestion.
    • Up x 1
  5. Doc Jim

This suggestion would be useful if Planetside 2 were draconian in punishing friendly fire. As it is, I can only remember getting my weapons locked once since the game launched, and I get accidental friendly fire all the time as well with accidental teamkills on a daily basis. I honestly see no need for adding a forgiveness mechanic.
    • Up x 1
  6. ZDarkShadowsZ

I remember this mechanic on modded Valve game servers and while some people were kind enough to recognise some people had made a genuine mistake and teamkilled someone, the majority did not, and would often use 'punish' regardless.

I can see a system like that happening in PlanetSide 2, given that not all of its players are willing to recognise when someone is genuinely sorry for a teamkill, nor are they willing to accept the apology regardless of knowing it was an accident and go on a crazed teamkilling spree because they couldn't control their inner child.

The only thing I see a system like this doing is an endless loop of punishment.
  7. DrPapaPenguin

Uhm, if you do not "forgive" then it just acts the same way it does now. The punishment stays the same, I just want an option to not impose punishment on a TKer.
  8. Deffington

In Red Orchestra 2 a teamkill takes off a point, unless it's forgiven. Community was mostly friendly back in those days.

The weapon lock is sometimes too slow. I have seen players (TrustedComrade, AlodiaNyx,...) teamkilling so long before they had to stop. It would be nice to have a feature on both sides, to forgive and to make the lock faster.
  9. Eternaloptimist

The idea is laudable but sadly, human nature is not. I remember two incidents in particular:
    • I accidentally TK'd a guy when running medic, rezzed him and sent an apology message. He called me names and deliberately TK'd me then logged off;
    • A guy blatantly ran in front of me and got hit by my fire a couple of times (not much), turned around and deliberately TK'd me.
  10. Prudentia

The only time you should ever need that is when using the Lasher and you do not actually kill allies with that, you just deal 37 damage to everyone once and then get a weapon lock :p
    Even in a 96+v96+ in Echo Valley Substation with an extended mag Pulsar LSW storming small stairs with an entire platoon at once and just holding down the trigger at head height i at most get a final warning.
  11. adamts01

Team-killers are a serious problem in this game. A system like OP proposed would let DBG crank up the punishment which might actually address 4th factioners.
  12. DarkStarAnubis

We should distinguish between accidental Team-Killing and actions done on purpose.

Let's couple the "forgive" button with a progressive automatic harsher punishment for players who TK on purpose: quicker weapon lock. longer period of locking, temporary bans etc

You can spot habitual TKers from their track records.
  13. LtBomber1

In 5 years of PS2 i have been weapon-locked for maybe 5 times:

On three occasions, i was jerking with squadmates, killing us over and over, so this doesnt count.
    The other two were Lasher-locks, because some idiots didnt get that the bullets have splash/running in front of you.

Firendly fire is unavoidable, however, the punishment only kicks in after really messing up something. The system would be dangerous, too. Accetently finsih of a friendly tank running away instead of its predator? TEAMKILL!? C4 for you! You know, emotions in this game are as unstable as the canis ammo...
  14. _Kettenblatt_

They've an software for cheaters but why don't exist any program to permanent ban teamkillers (faction hoppers) and temporarily ban their located client side character slots? Last time someone of Vanu's swashed over and blow's up many vehicles. After weapon lock he comes again, again and again, over a whole distance of 2 weeks he was always sighted.
  15. AlcyoneSerene

Definitely like this idea.

So far haven't had problems with chronic team killers playing VS or TR, and I've done some deliberate team killing myself such as when getting mad at those I accidentally fire at instinctively before their friendly marker even shows up expecting the enemy and they fire at me back a little later not acknowledging that it's clearly a mistake on my end, so we have a few rounds of team killing each other on sight then move on with the game, or those that I notice team kill deliberately and making fake apologies. Luckily so far that's only happened less than probably 5 times.

Lasher splash damage is a problem since people like to get close or run in front of it.

OP Canis unstable ammo was a nightmare and I did get 2 weapon locks cause it was just that ridiculously OP so any accidental team damage was super high. How that initial version made it to the live game, I have no idea. The Great Canis massacre was embarrassing, and unstable ammo remains embarrassing in its more balanced state and wish it would get reworked.

One other time I was flying my ESF, crashed into something, and respawned at warp gate. Then kept getting ff warnings that would not end, so I logged off. Very bizarre.