[Suggestion] Add spawn protection!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tr34, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Tr34

Really, I can't understand why a game like that doesn't have any spawn protection like other games in the genre.
    This game has some vehicle spawnpoints in locations that can't be seen from its terminal. People are dropping mines to there and getting kills. This is unavoidable, because when the tank spawns, it goes directly forward to mines and gets blown up.
    For 2-3 seconds, it should have spawn protection to avoid those unavoidable deaths.
    Sunderer infantry spawns are even worse, they don't kill sunderer on purpose and camp near it. Spawning on them means instant death. It really sucks to play without spawn protection, it makes half of the players camp near sunderers, vehicle spawns, spawn spots etc. I don't include vehicle terminal campers though, because they are avoidable unlike vehicle spawn mines.

Another option for vehicle spawns is making their 100m radius a non-mine area. You know, you can't place anti-infantry mines to some points, they get destroyed instantly and kill you instead. You can make the same mechanic for anti-vehicle mines on vehicle spawn points.

Without something to counter it, this game is a pure griefing game. This takes all the fun away in my opinion.
    • Up x 1
  2. FateJH

If you didn't examine the path away from the pad before spawning your death machine, you're the only person to be blamed.

You do have Sunderer spawn protection. For a short few seconds after spawn or until you move, whichever comes first, you take no damage.

Edit: Yes, I know some bases don't have the terminal and the pad exactly close together but if you spawn at one of those bases, you either gamble or put some effort into it. Here's a thought: if the base does not have an agreeable setup, go with Mineguard.
  3. Corezer

I just sneezed, and my nose started bleeding...

I have nothing to contribute to this topic but my blood...
  4. Corezer

oh and that's a stupid idea...
  5. Liewec123

agreed with this one, mining vehicle pads is like sniping people in UI menus at the terminal,its a cheap-shot, low-blow,
    and i'd like to think we're all above using those tactics ;)

i think vehicle spawn points should have the same effect on enemies as spawn rooms, ticking damage, and instantly exploding deployables
    • Up x 1
  6. Benton582

Here is a reasonable non-brutal reply:
    There is a anti mine field about 10m from the center of the spawnpad, enough so you can stop before hitting the mine. But anymore and people can easily undo a faction's work of capping a base. You are supposed to spawn vehicles in a safe area.
  7. toast2250

How am I then supposed to spawn farm scrubs?
    • Up x 2
  8. HAXTIME

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  9. AxiomInsanity87

So it's official

Paragraph genocide.
  10. Jake the Dog

How to not die while pulling vehicles:
    1. go to pad
    2. Check for tank mines
    3. Blow up any mines if thare are any.
    4.Pull vehicle
    5. ???
  11. Demigan

Guys, the solution is very simple:

Allow players to instantly take control of the vehicle.
    If you do nothing: You drive off normally
    If you do something: You stop the automatic drive mechanic, have the time to look around, change direction, get out or simply drive off from a different direction.

This is an infinitely better system for everyone, well, everyone except the people who want cheesy kills that is. Spending 30 seconds extra for each tank pull just to check for mines (Ignoring all their bugs) is ridiculous.
    • Up x 1
  12. Mezinov

Infinitely better system for everyone except for the guy that stops to check for mines... and gets his vehicle despawned and auto-killed for being on the pad when the next guy pulled a Flash.

The auto-drive away is to alleviate congestion at highly used vehicle terminals. Its also why we have the vehicle pull queue. And abuse of this system is why the game suicides anyone or anything directly on the pad when the next vehicle is pulled instead of waiting for the pad to clear for the next vehicle.

Changing this requires several other systems to be torn up or altered as well - when it could be just as easy to draw the same pain field/deployable destroying field that is drawn on spawn rooms around the vehicle pad and the auto-drive area.

I personally think its a problem that doesn't need a solution - particularly since hucking mines at the end of a friendly vehicle pad is the only reliable way to stop the terminal from being flipped and some infiltrator pulling a Sunderer and magicking into existence an entire army from it when it deploys.

Is it a cheesy tactic? Absolutely. Is it any more cheesy than throwing an AI mine right in a doorway to a point room? No. How about a tank mine in a doorway to kill a MAX? Nope.

If I took the best idea from the thread? I would say you don't get charged for your vehicle until you are given control of it. This takes care of two problems; mines in the auto-drive area, and getting shot in the face right when you hit the spawn vehicle button. It also addresses the primary concern; which is getting charged your resources before you can even use the thing you paid for.
    • Up x 2
  13. FateJH

PlanetSide Classic used to use a system like this much much earlier before they also changed it into a "enter queue, transport user into vehicle, auto-drive away from pad" system in their update 1.4. I recall reading that the old system that allowed the user to dwaddle caused a lot of congestion when there were more than a few players trying to simulatenously spawn, board, and drive away vehicles. Both before and after the change, the run-away from the pad could still have been mined by enemies.

It's only ridiculous when the base is built in a ridiculous fashion; otherwise, the act of either checking in front of a pad before spawning a vehicle or spawning a vehicle and then checking in front of the pad is a matter of laziness borne of gratifaction speed. Mines are intended to slow enemy progress. In the current PlanetSide 2, unfortunately, people are less inconvenienced by things short of death, so death is the only mode of inconvenience that remains.
  14. Savadrin

Speak for yourself, Mr. High-Horsey High Horse. ;)

It's far more satisfying to lay down YOLO tank mines in weird places and get a kill, but they score the same as launch pad mines.

Also, I always say this, vehicle denial is a real thing, however you do it. Terminal camping can literally break an attack or base defense. People may shed tears about it, but tears are deliciously salty.

[IMG]

OP: Get over it and work around it like the rest of us. We all die on spawn or when spawning a vehicle.

Or start pulling a flash first and hop the guy wasn't smart enough to offset his mines to avoid that ;)
  15. Demigan

I'm still baffled by this type of argument.
    First off, you get another option besides what we have now. Any "bad stuff" that comes with it is actually only "bad stuff" when the current situation forces you to make use of the option and you are somehow delayed. Also, unlike the current system blocking people and forcing them to stay on the pad becomes a much harder task. This solution offers more ways to protect yourself against noobs and griefers.
    So your "exception" is actually "another option made possible purely because the player decided to make use of it", and why would he decide that? Well maybe because there were mines there, or because there's players blocking his path etc.
    Second off, the time between spawning one vehicle and the next is pretty long, and if you decide to stay on the pad, it's your choice rather than a system that decides to drive forwards. Most pads allow you to move off the side or back as well, so if you decide to interrupt the auto-drive and then decide to stick on the pad (keep in mind, people that deliberately block you will have a tougher time than with the current system), and then decide to stick inside your vehicle that you could exit at any time rather than being stuck in an arbitrary lock, then it's your fault.
    Besides, this is easily "solved" (there's nothing here that needs solving actually), you can add an extra 5 seconds or so if a vehicle stays on the pad before the next one appears.

And that auto-drive is still there. You just have the option to stop it if necessary. You will have less congestions with this system as people aren't forced to drive into the scenery anymore or forced to drive into friendly tanks. They can immediately turn and fan out over a larger area if it's busy.
    So again, my system would decrease the amount of congestions.
    Also in the current version if one player in a Sunderer for instance decides to go AFK after a spawn, there's only room for one safe spawn. The third person will be stuck on the pad and auto-killed. This is much worse, and if you simply joined the queue under the impression that things would be all right... You lost a life and your resources to one guy going AFK, and you get a lot faster congestions anyway.

Hey, if you just want to remove mine-placement around pads altogether I'm all for it. I just think that allowing players some control is much better. I mean, currently you can't fire, can't exit and can't change directions after a spawn, and if anything blocks your path you can be stuck in that position for a long time, and as many people have probably experienced, if someone blocks you there's nothing you can do but stare at your screen and pray that the one blocking you magically starts moving.

Actually those are far easier to prevent and a lot less cheasier. Also, the time it takes on many places to check the pad is just too large compared to the effort it takes for any player to dump some mines and cheat you out of a ton of resources.

Could also be a solution. Players out for kills can place them there anyway, but players that are out for actually stopping you and your vehicle will need to actually place them out on the field.
  16. Pelojian

IMHO auto drive should stay, but they should look up every terminal paired with a pad that you can't conveniently check (red ridge com southern pad) and extend the no mine zone for those pads. then enhance all pads by making a rectangularish no deploy-turret zone and no deploy sundie zone affected everyone regardless of base ownership, large enough that a sundie can't block the auto drive area or cover enough area to prevent a vehicle on the pad from moving before another vehicle spawns.

It's pure cheese to spawn your vehicle to be blocked by an allied deployed sundie and then loose your vehicle because of some team swapping ****** put it there.

if you aren't checking the vehicle pad that is close by for mines when you spawn your vehicle you deserve to die from mines there, this is comnig from someone who both mines the pads and is also a victim of said mine placement from time to time.
  17. Savadrin

Do you also use a time-out card and find a shelter to run back to when things make you sad?

It's so funny, I wonder how people deal with real life where the world gives zero ***** about you when they complain about things like this in a game.
  18. MonnyMoony

Whilst it's easy to write those steps down - for some bases - doing that isn't feasible because the vehicle spawn terminal is a significant distance from and/or inaccessible from the vehicle spawn pad.

Perhaps an anti mine field would be a good idea - but only for bases where this is the case.

Put the onus on the tanker when it is feasible to check - but prevent tank mine cheese where it isn't. Everyone is happy (ish).
  19. Jake the Dog

Addendum on previous comment:
    If step 1 is too hard. @ respawn screen, go a base or two back.

All I do is pull tanks in this game (90% of the time), its really not that hard. What it really comes down too (which you probably won't like me saying this) is that its a L2P issue.

"significant distance" God help you you have to walk 20 meters to get to your magic motorpool. There is an anti-minefield, try putting tank mines closer to the pad. I'm not s***ing you with these steps. Follow them and you'll be fine. Another thing you might want to do because infils like to get easy kills on them is stand motionless beside the terminal. If you hear an enemy infil decloak, whip yourself around and smoke him.

But if you follow these steps, in addition to the addendum if step 1 is impossible atm ie: getting spawn farmed, you will have no trouble with pulling vehicles I guarentee it. In fact most tank guides will tell you to not pull from a base under attack.
  20. Pelojian

dude go to indar comm array, then say that checking the southern terminal's pad is 'walk 20 meters to check'. seriously it sounds to me more like you are assuming 'significant distance' means way less then a hundred meters or more.