[Suggestion] Add dumbfire mode to phoenix

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bape, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Goretzu

It's not imaginary, it is coming. :confused: Sticking one's head in the sand won't change that reality in the slightest.

The devil is in the detail, of course, but its hard to see if it is a weapon people want to use (as opposed to just being unmittigated rubbish) that it won't be much more flexible than the Pheonix..... in fact even if is is rubbish it will still be highly flexible rubbish, given how it is going to work.

So when is it "ok" to start worrying about this? And do we need to get written permission from you to do so? :p
    • Up x 1
  2. Foxirus

A dumbfire mode would simply turn your phoenix into a Decimator 2.0. I cannot see the devs wasting time and money doing this change.
  3. axiom537

A Decimator that has 30% slower projectile velocity and that can be destroyed while in flight. No I'm sorry a Phoenix with dumb fire mode would not be a decimator 2.0, it would simply be a rocket launcher that the NC may start to equip in situations other then from the top of spawn rooms.
  4. Flag

I know some NC who make good use of the phoenix in a lot more situations than that one.
    Maybe you should experiment a bit more with it? You might be surprised.
  5. axiom537

I am more then aware of its capabilities and situational uses and I find it very lacking in comparison to the Lancer and Striker, especially after the changes are made to the latter.

As I have said after hours and hours of use, I really find very little need or want to use this weapon, its guided rocket is a novelty at best and just does not put out enough damage, to warrant its use in a more general sense and it barely justifies its niche use as it is. I do really enjoy using it to kill Engineer turrets, which IMO is just about the only thing it is good at and props its stats up, OHK's will do that. I am just more effective with any of the other launchers.
  6. Scorponok

the pheonix is just fine people are just trying to make it OP again...if you dont like it...dont use it that simple...that goes for all weapons in the game...dont like em dont use it.
  7. Flag

Outside of actual lancer camps I find more use from the descimator and nemesis.
  8. axiom537

OP Again? You mean for the 24 hours, that it could OHK infantry, when everyone prior to its release said this would be an issue. If you do not like the weapon then do not use it? That is a horrible view to have and no one I know wants it to OHK infantry, we would just like a weapon that has a bit more versatility to it.

So I guess we should tell all those TR who didn't like the Striker to go pound sand and we can tell the Dev's to stop working on revamping the Striker, because the TR should just stop using the weapon if they do not like it...

Sorry, I take a different view. If people do not like the way weapons function, then we should petition to have those weapons changed so that people will like using them, especially weapons that are faction specific.
  9. axiom537

Lancer's do excel in groups, but if you where stuck with out the Decimator or Nemesis, the lancer would still work very well as an alternative, the same could not be said of the Phoenix and that is the point. The Phoenix is just one of those weapons that you would never want to accidentally equip or drop with because if it is outside of its niche uses it is relatively worthless and while it works well with in its niche, it doesn't work that well to justify it being worthless in the other 90% of situations.
  10. Revanmug

Can you please ******* read, thank you.
  11. Huishe

When it's done and live. And yes, you better get one. I'm avaliable in pm during workdays, from 12 to 19 GMT +3.
  12. Goretzu

Far, far, faaaaaaaaaaaar too late by then (as we've seen repeatedly in PS2 already), although I very much doubt this thread is going to make SOE do much currently, it is raising an issue likely to be there when it goes Live (or Test) and may well get the Devs thinking about it.

Either in a Phoenix sense, or in a NOT making the Striker 3.0 massively flexible sense (which would be a different end of the same stick).

Fortunately for appointments your own opinion of your power is not in keeping with the reality of your power. :D
  13. xArchAngelx

The reason I compare the Striker and the Phoenix is because the are both the ESRLs for their faction. There is one simple fact that you are missing and I've tried explaining to you but you just can't seem to grasp the simple concept. The Phoenix fires 1 rocket. The Striker fires 1 salvo (5 rockets). Yes..if the striker's rounds hit 3 of 5, that is 60% accuracy not 67%. Secondly, 1 Phoenix rocket CANNOT do 67% of its own damage. You are mudding up Accuracy with DPS and changing numbers that I am too drunk and tired to even start to even think about before going to bed. LOL.

All I have to say is Hodor:
    [IMG]
  14. Flag

I'll have to disagree with you here.
    When I do play my NC alt as a heavy meatbag I find the Phoenix actually works better as a solo weapon and at short ranges than the Lancer does. To the point where I usually carry the phoenix on the NC, but on VS I only pick up the Lancer when there's camping to be done, leaving the Nemesis and Descimator as my go-to all-round launchers.
  15. axiom537

Phoenix 1 Rocket = 1 Salvo
    Striker 5 Rocket = 1 Salvo

My arguments have been in comparing Salve vs Salvo over multiple uses, never the individual shot. Why is this so difficult for you to understand when I have explained it now 3 times, maybe because you are drunk...

I am not muddling Accuracy vs DPS. I am using them to create another metric in which to compare the two weapons, just like we use DPS or Alpha strikes, this is another metric to use to look at the effectiveness of a weapon in its role of damaging vehicles over time.

If you Fire the Striker 100 times and you are landing 60% of your rockets you are doing 105,300 worth of damage to the enemy in total (3 rockets/Salvo x 351 damage/rocket x 100 salvos) =Total Damage, if I want an Average of damage per Salvo, then divide by 100 Salvos = 1053 avg. damage/salvo .If you fire the Phoenix 100 times and you are landing 60% of those rockets you are doing 84,060 worth of damage in total or 841 damage/Salvo on average. This is one metric to consider when determining how effective a weapon is in putting damage on targets.

As I have clearly tried to explain to you this is ONE way to view the effectiveness of the weapons. I fire the Striker 100 times and I fire the Phoenix 100 times, 60% of the Striker rockets hit the target and 60% of the Phoenix hit the target, I am doing more damage with the striker then with Phoenix utilizing the same effort of 100 shots.
  16. axiom537

I will take you word for it that you carry the Phoenix as a default, though I find it highly unlikely or you just play NC so infrequently, that you enjoy the NOVELTY of the Phoenix, but if you played more often you would find the Phoenix to be very ineffective. As a BR100 in an outfit with 20+ BR 100's I have never nor have I ever seen any of them run around with the Phoenix as a default weapon, it just is not good in that general purpose role, solo maybe, I could see sniping engineer turrets with it as something fun to do while being solo, but as for a general purpose launcher, nope.

Oddly enough you say the Nemesis and Decimator are your go to weapons, yet you have (176 +30) 206 kills with the lancer & lancer AE, while only 191 with your nemesis and 131 with your decimator. Not that they aren't your goto weapons you seem to get more kills with the Lancer then either of those other 2 "GoTO" launchers. I would love to find the Phoenix as useful as you find the Lancer and have more or even similar kill totals between those weapons. Myself I have 50 kills with the Phoenix, 215 with the Decimator, 126 with the Hawk and 77 with the Annihilator. I only have 50 kills with the Phoenix, but it is not from lack of trying, I love killing vehicles and if it was a n effective weapon for that purpose I would use it as would the others in my outfit, but none of us use it very much. If it was effective/useful we would use it, that's just the way we play.
  17. Flag

It's true, I don't play NC anywhere near as often as I play VS. The only time I wish I had a desci is when I run into a MAX. That's it.
    Meanwhile on VS I run into the same situation also when I'm in close quarters against vehicles, an area I find Phoenix to still be ok at. Although granted, the Desci and Hawk would be a bit better still, but not to the same degree as compared to the lancer (or current striker).
  18. lothbrook

Then you don't play NC very often, the phoenix has a very limited role in that its only good against ground vehicles, and only when they're stationary or moving directly away or towards you. Even then the DPS is atrocious due to having to wait for you to leave the camera mode to begin reload. Only good when vehicles are about 100m or further away because otherwise you're just standing there derping, where they can easily pick you off or just run you over after eating your 1 single rocket. Completely useless against infantry who even if they didn't want to get hit by the limp noodle missile can just shoot it down or move because of how poorly it turns. Completely useless against aircraft unless they're hovering or repairing.

The missiles best use is against engineer turret users where other rockets typically just hit the shield and do nothing the phoenix ignores it and destroys the turret, and they're stuck being stationary so you can easily hit them, lol.
    • Up x 1
  19. Flag

And the Lancer isn't limited?
    See, all 3 ESRLs are limited in one way or another.

I'm well aware of the limitations on the Phoenix. I just don't see it as a problem given what the other two launchers are.
  20. axiom537

Yeah at extreme close range the Phoenix can be used vs vehicles, it's in that 50-150 that it is extremely awkward and puts the user at a real disadvantage, being frozen for 1-2 sec. and having to adjust to the camera mode and back again. In the 50-150m range the Phoenix just is too quarky and that is the point I am trying to make, while the Lancer is not as good as a decimator in those situations because of less damage, its is worlds above the phoenix and I suspect the Striker is going to be in the same boat, you do not have the damage of the Deci, but you are still mobile and the shots are still next to instantaneous.

So again, if the Phoenix had a dumbfire it would help give it a bit more flexibility, it will still be 30%/60% slower respectfully then the Deci or Shrike and still be killable, but if we had a dumbfire mode that would make a world of difference for the NC. Or even allow us to ADS into camera mode while still being able to move, but allow us from that view to toggle between dumbfire and guided mode while in camera mode, which would limit the NC from running and narrow our field of view if we toggle dumbfire then the rocket just launches, but if we use guided, then the player becomes frozen, while they are guiding the rocket.
    • Up x 1