[Suggestion] Add a Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MahouFairy, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Waratorium

A transport faster than a sunderer for half a squad. is what the valkyrie is supposed to be for. Just rebalance the valkyrie and it will be fine.
    New content isn't something most players want- most players want the existing content to be fixed & functional first.
    Planetside 1 had BFRs. Just because PS1 had something doesn't mean its a good idea.
    The best counter to harassholes is already the battle sundy.

Besides, PS1 had the lonestar, which is a far more interesting and distinctive addition to add to the game than a reskinned sunderer.
  2. MahouFairy

The Vulcan Harasser or any anti armour Harassers are just playing "peek a boo" with MBTs or Lightnings. Usually their targets are lone Magriders in the middle of a TR versus NC battle (that is away from any VS territory) looking for easy farms. Those Magriders usually spoil the fight and it serves them no strategic value except farm. (Those Magriders probably deserved to die don't they?)

Now if that Harasser was to attack an enemy armour convoy, with let's say, a Vulcan. How long do you think that Harasser would survive? I doubt it could even make it through the end of the convoy, much less destroy a single armoured target. The Harasser may win though, provided that the enemy didn't bother to wait for gunners.

Everyone has their own play style, be it guerrilla or conventional. If that lone tank or Harasser decides to camp out in enemy territory looking for farms, I wouldn't blame them. Just don't call "NERF THIS, NERF THAT" when they get outplayed.
  3. Unsp0kn

I suggest they fix all the broken ish in the game first before adding more crap we don't really need.
  4. Konstantinn

Valkyrie is a flying vehicle, can't go into tunnels, can't hide under cover from air, pilot is pretty much permanently stuck in driver/pilot seat (unlike ground vehicles, can get out any time or become a stationary turret without driver). No balance change is going to change above mentioned things. Apples to oranges comparison.

I personally disagree with you about new content, for me the current game works pretty good. I want new shiny things (golden guns excluded...) and variety, like new continents, new vehicles, new game mechanics. It goes back to "85% of statistics are made up on the spot", as to your assumption about what most players want.

As to BFR's there's a lot of posts and players out there that want them, but implemented correctly and balanced the right way. You pick on PS1's BFRs that was the game's worst feature. Instead, show me people who had a problem with PS1 Deliverer, because it would be much closer to what we're talking about.

As to harasser counter being battle sundy, I'd like to see you chase down a harasser in a much slower sunderer that has a profile of a broad side of a barn attracting halbred rockets and other anti-vehicle rounds like a magnet. Especially since harasser turbo will climb hills that a sunderer can only dream about climbing.

I agree with you about Loadstar (not Lonestar, i'm sure just a typo, hell my memory of PS1 isn't top notch either, it's been a while and I'm not trying to be a grammar-**** or to pick on you or anything) it's much more interesting and game changing. Though if that was the logic behind what devs are thinking, we would have Loadstar long before Harasser or Valkyrie vehicle additions. If you recall, both were added after game's release.
  5. Ronin Oni

Uhm... Battle Bus?
  6. Crashsplash

That was the nickname of the sundy in ps1, or occasionally Party Bus.
  7. Ronin Oni

I know...

I'm saying BattleBus fills the IFV role.
  8. Waratorium

A lot of players would like to be actually able to play the game without hitching & crashing making the game unplayable. A few weeks ago we had 20 of the 21 outfit members in our platoon all crash to desktop within 5 minutes of each other, leaving the platoon with our outfit name on it in the hands of a random pubby.

A lot of players are currently crashing at least 3 or 4 times per play session.

The hitching still pops up every now and then for me, but for a lot of players it still happens constantly.

A lot of the current features are terribly unbalanced. The majority of Vanu players are relying on about 1/10th of the weapons available to them because of that factions terrible internal balance. Vulcans are currently a straight upgrade on almost every other secondary weapon for Terran vehicles, when it should be a case of each weapon being better for different situations.

The Valkyrie is almost unusable because of how laughingly, insultingly underpowered it is. To this date no one in the world has achieved the master directive for the Valkyrie.

People still get catapulted into the sky when they exit their vehicle to repair. This happens to me at least once a day.

When trying to snipe, many players still experience the enemy jittering around so much that it is next to impossible to hit them. I experience this often and most snipers I have talked to experience this.

Galaxies & MBTs still get one hit killed by random chunks of debris.

This game still has nothing even approaching competent optimization. I get half the frames that I can get from games with far prettier and more intensive graphics, even though I have a computer that is pretty close to being top of the line.

Ravens, Sunderer Furies, Air Hammers, SMGs, etc are all pretty badly balanced.

Auraxium tier weapons are mostly insultingly bad for the amount of effort it takes to get them.

Dusters on the Liberator are so bad I see maybe 1 in 200 of the Libs I see using them.

Vanu Proxy mines are nowhere near as effective as Betties & Claymores.

Game Balance should take priority over new things, and people being able to actually play the game without crashing or hitching should take priority over everything.
  9. Konstantinn

A lot of players would like to be actually able to play the game without hitching & crashing making the game unplayable. A few weeks ago we had 20 of the 21 outfit members in our platoon all crash to desktop within 5 minutes of each other, leaving the platoon with our outfit name on it in the hands of a random pubby.

A lot of players are currently crashing at least 3 or 4 times per play session.
    You sound like a pretty unlucky group of players. Never happens to me, and most of my outfit members stay online for entire operation without problems. Crashes happen once every few days, no more.

The hitching still pops up every now and then for me, but for a lot of players it still happens constantly.
    Haven't seen this either. Try turning down your settings. I know it happens to some, but have yet to know anyone to quit the game about it personally.

A lot of the current features are terribly unbalanced. The majority of Vanu players are relying on about 1/10th of the weapons available to them because of that factions terrible internal balance.
    And yet Vanu are doing quite well across all servers, their population is stable.

Vulcans are currently a straight upgrade on almost every other secondary weapon for Terran vehicles, when it should be a case of each weapon being better for different situations.
    Vulcans are good now I agree, but they don't have the range of a halbred, and are nearly useless against air. I still see a lot of TR with other secondaries.

The Valkyrie is almost unusable because of how laughingly, insultingly underpowered it is. To this date no one in the world has achieved the master directive for the Valkyrie.
    Valk is good for some situations. I see a lot of them flying around. My outfit uses them for dropping on enemy sunderers from time to time with a good degree of success. I agree it's not good as a primary vehicle for all situations, which would contribute to more people achieving master directive. It's just not that type of vehicle. It's OK for some things to take longer.

People still get catapulted into the sky when they exit their vehicle to repair. This happens to me at least once a day.
    Happens to me once a week at most. I don't see squad members dying to it hardly ever. At worst it's a 5 second delay on exiting vehicle (as in time it takes to land). Should be fixed, sure, but not as dire as you try to make it sound.

When trying to snipe, many players still experience the enemy jittering around so much that it is next to impossible to hit them. I experience this often and most snipers I have talked to experience this.
    This I completely agree on. Have seen a lot more jittering happening at long ranges lately. It's pretty annoying, yet not game breaking. Also consider that artist working on new vehicle would be different person than the one that works on network code. Meaning work on both can be done in parallel.

Galaxies & MBTs still get one hit killed by random chunks of debris.
    Call it game mechanic. Avoid getting hit by debris. I know it wasn't intentional, but it's just another danger for every player to watch out for. Neither adds nor detracts from gameplay.

This game still has nothing even approaching competent optimization. I get half the frames that I can get from games with far prettier and more intensive graphics, even though I have a computer that is pretty close to being top of the line.
    Show me a game that supports as many players on same field of battle as PS2 with better graphics. You will find none. Apples and oranges comparison again. Have to sacrifice looks for large battles. I'm ok with that.

Ravens, Sunderer Furies, Air Hammers, SMGs, etc are all pretty badly balanced.
    If you see something is better, use it. Personally I don't see SMG epidemic. Many people using other weapons. Rarely get killed by ravens. Most sunderers don't carry furies in my experience (because they are hard to aim and quite weak). Air Hammers have their own disadvantages (low magazine count).

Auraxium tier weapons are mostly insultingly bad for the amount of effort it takes to get them.
    So you want more content? Like new shiny things I mentioned? I can only assume this means you agreed with me.

Dusters on the Liberator are so bad I see maybe 1 in 200 of the Libs I see using them.
    True, dusters aren't that great. These are minor tweaks compared to putting in new vehicles though.

Vanu Proxy mines are nowhere near as effective as Betties & Claymores.
    How so? They still explode and kill people.

Game Balance should take priority over new things, and people being able to actually play the game without crashing or hitching should take priority over everything.
    You speak as one of the people effected by it, to those that aren't they couldn't care any less. I want you to play, I want population to stay the same or better yet increase, but those effected are a minority. How do I know? I don't see people in outfit quitting or complaining about this on our forums. Granted it's only a sample size of a few hundred people, but it should be a good indication that the problem isn't widespread.
  10. Crashsplash

ah, apologies and yea, I'd agree.
  11. uhlan

You'd need to eliminate the ability to redeploy at will in order to make driving to a target for an infantry assault an important aspect in game-play.

As it stands now, vehicles are a horrible fusion of mobile artillery and the humble taxi.