[Actually serious] Nerf headshots

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberNoob1337101, Sep 18, 2016.

1. ObiVanuKenobi

Tell them they shouldn't stand still or run in straight lines.
    It's one of the biggest mistakes new players make, when i'm sniping all the free kills (people who are standing still) are usually low BR.
    • Up x 1
  2. CNR4806

Yeah, it never made sense in any of these "shield + HP" games for shield and HP to share the same weakspots (or "strong spots" like limbs).
    • Up x 2
  3. FateJH

They we need to reinforce better that the said players need to start learning vehicle-based AV. Good chance is that AI-motivated vehicle that previously slaughtered them as Infantry is going to come up short when dealing with a target that it wasn't intended to damage effectively. We need to start corralling people towards the smart choices rather than standing around getting shot and complaining about it life after life.
    • Up x 1
  4. breeje

i am far away from that God-tier skilled player you speak of, i just starting to get muscle memory for those head shots
    it took me a long time, longer then a normal person would and would hate to lose it again

but you're wright, it would be the best for the majority of the people especially for new players
    only what about the skill you speak of, only training/playing will get you the skill needed
    i like to tun around when i get shot in the back and have a chance to win by practicing
    some fine balancing is needed by the developers to make every one happy

if you all get this proposal granted by the dev's, i will support it
    even with a multiplier of 1.5
    • Up x 1
  5. Yessme

i Thing i have seen this thread 100x in this Forum :D
    but ,
    Headshots allready got nerfed 2015.
    lon time ago, nanowave save head. too + the shild but, because of Medics, infils, la and engii, they nerfed it.

HA will be too strong, if Headshots work with NW or HAShid
  6. DQCraze

Ya get rid of headshots, because client-side is horrible.
  7. nehylen

I've never felt there ever was a problem with headshots; I don't even comprehend why anyone would make that thread.
    The most surprising thing at that, being that OP considers headshots to be bad because they render nanoweave useless when the problem is actually nanoweave, since it screws up balance damage in direct coordination with RoF.
    Ergo making shotguns, battle rifles, scout rifles, 200dmg guns and a few sidearms much less potent in general than their default balance would have it.

Headshots are a rewarding mechanic, with a well balanced risk/reward ratio in my opinion. The only thing I agree on is that the slowest RoF guns should get slight boost to HSR to make up for the nanoweave issue.

Also, as OP states that people will defend the ease of use of CQC guns, i would hate not to oblige in the matter: CQC guns are pretty easy to use within quite a wide radius, and should you look at any experienced enough player, you'd see accuracy/HSR pretty close from weapon to weapon in anything but specific cases.

I also very much question the assertion that foregrips are OP. They're not. Certainly, the general opinion is that it's the default attachment, but is that opinion all that justified? Most people barely ever play without it, yet a lot of guns are pretty controllable by default.
    I play LA almost exclusively with laser sights, even on low RoF guns, FYI.
    What's funny is that Turekson follows-up on that, stating that most engagements are at medium range. When this board was crying for Orion/BG/SVA nerf in the .75ads era, everyone was saying that most engagements are close-range.

I'd say most engagements are where the nerfers want them at.
  8. Cymric

I actually think positioning, flanking and cover > headshots. If you look at kill steaks on youtube, the majority of the time those players had positioned themselves well and are killing unaware players.

Within a certain range, I would say 20m, you will be able to headshot consistently regardless of which weapon you use. In that range, cqc weapon will out dps accurate weapon.

Attachment really depends on your playstyle. Coming from a light assault main, I am use to hipfiring within 10m, which is further than optimal for many LMGs. So a laser sight give me much more benefits than forward grip in many cases. Some weapons also have minimal horizontal recoil already, a forward grip will not help them much.

I think your idea of reducing headshot multiplier might have some merit though. It will compress the skill gap, making it more likely for a weaker player to take down a stronger player. I was in Subterranean Nanite Analysis with a light assault today when the base flip and I held the point against 2 low BR for nearly 3 minutes before more reinforcements arrive, killing them 10 times without a single death. I can't imagine that this is fun for the 2 of them and I consider myself only average. Imagine them going against a good player, they will have no chance at all.
    • Up x 1
  9. Good_Kitty

I feel head shots should 1 hit kill on any weapon and on top of that not being ressable after a headshot death.

The TTK is fine now and when fights are zergy a higher ttk would be even better!
  10. CptFirelord

The only thing I could possibly see as being a relevant and on-topic post about TTK for a shooter (which is already rather long in Planetside compared to every other shooter save Overwatch) would be why headshots do extra damage to a shield. However I don't think nerfing damage to headshots should be the way to go. It promotes skilled gameplay.

Cover is beneficial. Yes, your head is exposed, but nothing else. Your head is an extremely small target for people to hit. The average player using a 2x or 1x scope isn't going to reliably be able to hit you back at range.

If it were up to me I'd like to have headshots be instant kills, considering a bullet is tearing its way through your grey matter. But I live with it the way it is because it promotes healthy gameplay.
  11. adamts01

You're a cool dude. Being able to truly listen to and understand your opponent is a rare skill, especially online.

One hit kills to the head are absolutely realistic, and I wish there was more realism in this game, but I've found them frustrating in the video game world. Between latency of players, the incredible ease of using a mouse compared to a gun, and the impossibility of realistic concealment, I just don't find they work well in video games.

And Good_Kitty.... How can you want one hit kills, think TTK is fine, and then say a higher TTK would be better?... What did you put in your cereal this morning?

I feel the HA is already a little unbalanced as is, between the shield, and the rockets, and the grenades, and the C-4, so you do have a point. But all that really comes down to numbers. You can have shields remove headshot multipliers, then slightly reduce HA's reistance to bullets till you find the sweet spot. Then every single player in the game will be happy, stop hacking, buy a membership and get along on the forums. How can you not want that?
    • Up x 1
  12. DasAnfall

Forumside yet again manages to reach higher levels of autism
    • Up x 2
  13. Iridar51

Headshot multiplier on its own is fine, but things like nanoweave and HA shield make bodyshots less valuable.

Nanoweave should just be removed, it's a terrible must-use suit slot that makes gunplay less consistent. Everything is fine otherwise. Yes, headshots provide an advantage, but so do positioning and tactics.

In theory, yes, if you take a guy that can instaheadshot everything within sight distance, then yes, he will make all of it irrelevant. But since it's not humanly possible, tactics remain a valuable companion to shooting, especially considering PlanetSide 2 has rather long TTK.

To this day, it manages to combine both tactics and shooting better than any triple-A shooter on the market.

You can compensate poor shooting with better tactics, and vice versa.

Just have to understand there are different magnitudes for both.

Average tactics can help win against bad aim, but godlike aim will win against average tactics. So if you feel like your tactics haven't been up to par, you're probably going against enemies that are simply that much better.
  14. adamts01

I don't use nanweave on anything, and neither do plenty of players much better than myself. I often use flack armor on my engineers and medics, and grenade bandoleer on everything else. Depending on what I'm doing I use extra rockets on my HA.
  15. Iridar51

A lot of people don't, and a lot of people do, especially those who are serious about infantry combat. It's the only possible choice in that case. Obviously, there are other things to do in PS2, hence why not everyone uses it.

According to a poll I created, nanoweave is used by ~40-45% of players, which is huge considering each class can choose from 4-6 suit slots.
  16. adamts01

A lot of people are obscenely selfish also. With Flack Armor on my medic and engineer I'm able to survive blasts my team can't, and be there to repair or revive them. True, I'm slightly less viable in combat, but choosing flack is better for the team. I've also found that if I'm going to die, I'm going to die, and the extra 1 or 2 bullets doesn't make nearly as much a difference in combat as an extra 3 grenades.
  17. Ryme_Intrinseca

Surely that was a buff to headshots, i.e. it was buffed to bypass nanoweave.

I think this actually makes quite a big difference given the prevalence of NW. For instance, a 100 damage body shot does 80 vs max rank NW, whereas a HS does 200 or 210 for a sniper. So against NW users (ie most combat-focused infantry) the HS multiplier is actually 2.5 for most weapons and 2.625 for BA snipers. These are high compared to most other FPS. Clearly it was not originally intended to be like that - we've ended up with artificially high headshot multipliers as a byproduct of nerfs to NW.

To address this they could rebalance nanoweave in a less HS-centric way. For instance, they could reduce max rank resistance to 10%-15% but make the resisistance apply to HS. This would take the HS multipliers back to the more normal originally intended levels of 2-2.1. Given the vast majority of hits are bodyshots this would probably be a small to medium sized nerf on NW, depending on the selected resisistance level
  18. Iridar51

So you're not trying to kill as many people as you can and die less. You're trying to be useful to the team. That's the difference. That's not infantry combat, that's infantry support.

For actual killing and surviving, nanoweave is the only sane choice, with some edge exceptions like Resist Shield HA.
  19. Devilllike

headshots are supposed to be "rewarding" and what you ask is not reward players for doing so,tbh i feel like a buller in the head should be 1 shot but ok i guess for some people that cant do it it looks op
  20. ObiVanuKenobi