[Suggestion] Active camo for Infiltrators

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by cbplayer, Sep 29, 2015.

1. cbplayer

As an alternate for the Infiltrator stalker cloak, I suggest active camo. Active camo is type of smart camouflage that replicate the pattern and texture of anything it touches, for example, touching a wall would make the player camouflage change that to suit the wall. it would also cover the entire body, including faction colors.

The main difference between Active camo and the Infiltrator cloak is that it does not use an energy pool, so you can use it indefinitely. You can also use equipment unlike the Infiltrator cloak.

The camouflage isn't nearly as good as turning invisible, and not very effective while moving, but makes up for the fact by being able to use indefinitely and being able to still use your equipment.

While the cloak is more suited for sniping and camping out, this cloak would suit a more aggressive playstyle due to the lack of downtime pf having to wait for the cloak to recharge.

Friendlies would see a color outline like the cloak to tell if you are friendly or not
    • Up x 1
  2. Iridar51

THE JUNGLE CAME ALIVE AND TOOK HIM

On a serious note, sounds cool. I remember when I went to a zoo as a kid, and there was a wing with lizards and snakes. I came to a cage that said "Chameleon", and at first look it looked empty to me, just some branches and leaves. After staring inside for like five minutes I realized there was a well camouflaged chameleon inside, sitting right in plain sight. The ability of these lizards is uncanny.

But something like that seems incredibly hard to accomplish from technical standpoint.
    • Up x 1
  3. cbplayer

[IMG]
    metal gear got it to work on a ps3
    • Up x 2
  4. Heyitsrobbie1984

i would like to see this implemented but if you jog or run you'll lose the camos effect immediately but you'll keep the effectiveness if you crouch and move.
    • Up x 1
  5. cbplayer

then wtf is the point of using this over the cloak? The whole gimmick is that you can be stealthy AND use your weapons in the same time!
  6. Crayv

Well since the devs seem so against true invisablity I think they should give it a try.
  7. cobaltlightning

That's probably what they should call this 'cloak' if it ever becomes a thing. I like the idea of it, myself.

Of course, there's also the Darklight thing, as the Darklight is its weakness. Perhaps a Darklight would make the Infiltrator glow their faction colour really brightly for maybe 6-7 seconds?
  8. Heyitsrobbie1984

I must have missed that info. thanks
  9. cbplayer

The way darklights work is that the cloak cant refract that frequency of light, so it hits the person instead of going around it. Making it work on camo makes no sense whats so ever.
    • Up x 1
  10. cobaltlightning

It's a balancing issue, dear: This 'cloak' would be always active from equip, making the infiltrator hard to see 100% of the time, and able to use their weapons while 'hidden.' The Darklight would remain as the infiltrator counter with said ability.

And the counter to Darklight is either putting it on a not-as-effective weapon and/or seriously gimping yourself from those extra bullets/accuracy boost/whatever.
  11. cbplayer

Look at the image above. Something like this stands out a lot more than being invisible, which is only trait is slight distortion on the background. The infiltrator would be hard to see but it would be only useful when the enemy does not know you are there.
    • Up x 1
  12. Leivve

I don't see a place for this in the game. Stalker already takes the role of persistent cloak spys. Nano Armor is friendly to run and gun infiltrators, while the hunter cloak is just good at everything. Only thing this could do is being an ambush cloak because you could shoot without delay.

But that is such a niche play style that can be easily done with just hunter cloak, that I can't see them going to the trouble to implement something like this. Not a bad idea, but Hunter Cloak is just to good for this to be useful.
  13. cbplayer

Well unlike you I dont like being sitting in a corning waiting for my cloak to recharge every 10 seconds of running.
    The main gimmick with this is that their no downtime. You dont need to wait for your cloak to recharge, you dont need to decloak to use your weapons, and most importantly you are always somewhat stealthy unlike the cloak, which is either being freaking invisible or wearing neon blue.

What I think what is the main weakness of hunter is the limited timer. You just walking around and your 15 seconds are up. You now stand out like a sore thumb. You are suppose to have this camo on indefinitely, so you never run out of cloak with your pants down.
    • Up x 1
  14. Liewec123

from a technical standpoint it'd be so much easier to simply have you constantly in the sprinting cloak appearance,
    not very invisible but you look like a distorted version of whatever is in the background behind you from your target.
  15. cbplayer

People would just complain about it being a OP verision of the cloak, even thought its not.
    It better this way.
    The easiest way to do this is to make a camo assets and when the player touches something, it switch to a camo that suits it.
  16. Liewec123

that'd mean constantly switching textures on characters using it, in a big 150 player fight the last thing you need to add is 20 guys running around switching their character texture every few seconds, it'd kill low end comps
  17. Leivve

Except that's not how it works in practice. A good infiltrator can pace himself so he's invisible when he wants to be and visible when he knows he's safe.

And the problem with having a persistent camouflage is the fact humans have two powerful forward facing eyes meant to accurately judge distances. Are brains are wired to easily detect movement and subtle changes in our view. If you have a guy who is green on a green back drop we'll be able to pick him just as easily as if he was wearing red.
  18. cbplayer

Well it not very stealthy to be in front of human eyes isn't it? With my style of play I make sure I never am in the field of view of someone who I am shooting. I just think its a bit stupid that you pretty much stand out as a sore thumb, wearing flashy purple spandex in the middle of a grassland.