[Vehicle] Accuracy of Skyguard AA cannon.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Humoreske, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Humoreske

I think that the accuracy is toooooo bad. Most ESF does not feel skyguard the threat.
    It's difficult even to earn 10 certs an hour. It seems like a volunteer.
    Shot down is equal to the miracle. :confused:
    what do you think?
    • Up x 6
  2. Liewec123

yep, flak is notorious for being really really bad unless the enemy sits nice and close and hovers around while you kill them.
    against anyone with half a brain, flak is nothing more than a deterrent at close range.
    keep your distance and keep moving and the skyguard can barely even hit you.
  3. FieldMarshall

I wish it had more velocity and a tighter COF.
    • Up x 1
  4. Jamuro

well you can't realy have an accurate weapon with the flak effect and the huge potential range the skyguard currently has.
    And then there is the issue with the chasis itself ... but i ll get to that.

It would be a lot easier if the skyguard gets an alternate gun option that fullfills this role.

The current version of the skyguard simply cannot be buffed like that, or you risk decreasing the number of skyguards needed to cause a 100% foolproof no fly zone of 1 and a half hex ... like we currently have once 2-3 (2 with any form of other g2a) of them are pulled together.

Right now the skyguard is a steeply overpriced but extremly effective covering tool.
    What i mean with that, well basically a skyguard drastically reduces the time any esf can spend in a quite huge area.

Now is it fun to use?

Hell no, but it's effective at this job. (even tough the job clearly is not to kill and as such rightfully so causes outrage)

The real question tough is, should a weapon with higher accuracy and potential damage but less range, realy be mounted on a lightning chasis?

One of the reasons why the skyguard hasen't received such a gun probably is it's durability.
    Sure a liberator will eat a lightning chasis for breakfast, but esfs generally do not (at least not when it's capable of shooting back)

I would suggest that it is better to design such a new turret for an harasser, which is much more mobile, allows people with either amazing driving skills or 2 man teams to overcome the impact of a reduced max range in a more reliable fashion than a lightning ever could, BUT allows for the esf pilot to actually fight back under the right circumstances.

And thanks to the reduced nanite costs by comparison, pulling one would not be such a "big investment" like people claim it currently is.
    • Up x 1
  5. LaughingDead

Actually the skyguard was as accurate as ever before but often would reach out and touch aircraft several hexes away, and by touch I mean prevent entry. So it was actually nerfed.
    • Up x 2
  6. ColonelChingles

I've been playing the game for awhile now and I can't ever recall a time when a single Skyguard could prevent enemy aircraft from operating several hexes over. The slow velocity alone would make it impossible for the Skyguard to hit anything except for a sitting target.
    • Up x 2
  7. adamts01

Halve the burst range, and halve the COF. Bam, done.
  8. Dethonlegs

Maybe he was thinking of burster maxes? They use to have laser like accuracy - if you could see it, you could hit it.
  9. SoljVS

I pull skyguards to troll when I'm drinking are you serious? You probably need to lead much more. At longer ranges you need to lead ESFs about a full screen length ahead.
    • Up x 1
  10. Savadrin

The Harasser can already equip a Walker or a Ranger. It's just that nobody does it. My walker loadout has lollipop wheels and a bow on the hood. it's actually a lot of fun to get into it with multiple ESFs while driving that thing.
  11. Liewec123

said everyone who isn't a skyknight :)
    i've suggested it multiple times :D
    ranger for example is getting a small damage buff, but it doesn't matter if you can't hit anything with it.

i use walker harasser as my go-to AA on NC and VS, imho its much better than skyguard!
    (TR do great enough with striker so i don't need to spend resources to deal with air.) :)
    • Up x 2
  12. Nekky

I will pull a Burster Max 10/10 times over a Skyguard.
  13. Savadrin

No, you're going about it all wrong. The striker goes in the rumble seat. Or a burster MAX for that matter, it's amazing what one little jeep can do :D
    • Up x 2
  14. Riksos

New players just don't realize how powerful the Skyguard has been, and how powerful it still is. 2 can set up an area of denial for free certs on incoming aircraft.
    • Up x 2
  15. ColonelChingles

This of course assumes that the ESF is flying in a totally straight line... with the slow velocity of a Skyguard shell, you could properly lead the ESF but if it changes flight vectors you're straight out of luck.
    • Up x 1
  16. Jamuro

This combo caused me to suffer so many hilarious oh **** moments.
    The fun thing tough even when fighting a beast like that as esf pilot, is that you still stand a chance ... sure it's going to be a tough fight but well that kinda is what makes it engaging and actually fun.
  17. LaughingDead

Actually it's pretty easy to read how a pilot is going to move, generally a pilot hit with flak will do one of 3 things, dive down if you're on a mountain, dash for cover or continue what he's doing.
    The trick to skyguarding is reading which way your target is going and this actually differs from faction to faction. Some experienced reaver pilots will do a sort of afterburn strafe to throw off the aim of a skyguard, mossies generally rely on speed and scythes have it the worst trying to use the pancake pattern to bob and weave.
    It was more like one hex away. Or two. I believe it was previously effective at about 600 meters to the point you couldn't duel another esf there which made grass plains indar hell for air because the skybox is generally pretty close to the ground.
  18. FailasaurusRex

How to get kills in a skyguard.

Step 3: Dont fire at every esf!
    -They can avoid you far better than you can reposition.

Step 4: Patience.
    -Wait for the esf to line up for his kill. The telltale sign is deceleration with a nose down posture.
    -Wait for the pilot to engage/fire
    -Light the esf up.

Step 2: Between the ears.
    -You dont have to setup right next to friendly tanks or sundies. All you are doing is making it easier for pilots to know which directions to not attack from. As well as asking for some max altitude valk-c4 or shredder lib shenanigans.
    -Pilots often run the same "loop" around a base or attack from the same cardinal direction. Open map and see which enemy base has a landing pad nearby. That is often the direction of the attacks. Weigh this against where your friendlies are and setup accordingly.
    -Keep your booty well hidden and keep large terrain or base formations close by. This is done in hopes of warding off the lone fully certed stealth tankbuster + shredder lib-jesus. Also if you setup in the open, alone....yea dont.

Step 1: DayBreak make the skyguard a 500 or 250 cert cannon. Maybe straight up default cannon along with the viper. Still hurts i spent 1000 certs on this.

Caveat!!!
    ALWAYS go full bore on Liberators. Full area denial mode. No cheeki breeki. When a lib is around, make your self known!

These are words from someone one who is blessed with a good friend who is a damn good pilot/tanker and I, his gunner.
    • Up x 3
  19. Liewec123

yes 2, but one does nothing but annoy aircraft.
    its sole purpose is to kill air and you can't do that unless the air is an idiot.

imagine if it required 2 MBTs to kill enemy armour, there would be an uproar of "omg this is so ********" XD
    striker is better than "skyguard"...and that is a rocket launcher that you can use for free.
    • Up x 1
  20. Helaton

I think Skyguard as an area denial is pretty good. It is decent at ESF's. However for heavier stuff like galaxies and libs, its not really an area denial tool. Galaxies are sacrificial lambs most of the time and only heavy anti-air cover can take one down before it drops it troops.

I'd like to see the equivalent of a vehicle lock-on launcher like this sans gatling:

[IMG]

While doing more damage, lock on times and rate of fire would mean only having 1 or 2 would be prone to getting over-saturated and unable to change targets effectively like a skyguard. They would also be useless against anything not anti-air. A mix of one of these and 2 skyguards would be exemplary cover though.
    • Up x 1