A Way of Finding How Many Friendlies Are in an Area?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BengalTiger, Mar 24, 2013.

1. BengalTiger

It's very easy to see where the enemies, enemy squads and platoons are just by looking at the map.

To know where friendlies are, one has to visit an area and make a survey, or use /leader chat which is quite often very silent.

Suggestion: How about adding information on friendlies, friendly squads and friendly platoons right next to info about the enemies?

That way it would be much easier to see where a squad/platoon someone is leading will be most useful without asking 10x in /leader and getting nothing, travelling around until the squad/platoon gets dispersed or just going for the nearest base, not knowing what the proportions of forces will be- which could lead to getting stuck in a traffic jam, or getting overrun because there's not a single other friendly within 2 miles.

It's also impossible to judge whether or not to defend an area- can we count on friendlies to come and help, or are they running away to some far away base to zerg ghost cap it?

In fact I find it quite strange that info about enemy movements is given directly, but to find friendlies one must do reconnaissance.
    • Up x 2
  2. kadney

I wish they would show friendly units if you zoom into an area. Why should I bother spawning on a base that gets attacked by an entire platoon when I will be the only guy around there? Up to the suggestion area I guess. And while we are on it, I'd like to see friendly engineers and medics around me when shouting for them. So I can clearly see on the minimap if there is any medic around that just didn't hear me yet or if there is nobody in a range of 2000 kilometers.. :)
  3. Terrarion

This is a feature that they will be adding in the future i believe. For now just redeploy with care :)
  4. centurionvi

They used to have this, the hotspot bubbles on the map were team colored so you could tell who was where. No idea why they changed it.
  5. Jetlag

You used to be able to use the command /who
    It would list all friendly characters within a hex, but for some reason it was removed sometime around GU2 or GU3 for some unknown reason.
  6. BengalTiger

That did the job actually, but I think it took more than a full squad to trigger a bubble so all the areas where 4 defenders were trying to halt 10 attackers and my 8 man squad could make a great difference were left unmarked.

If there was the system I suggested in place, I'd just see a "Friendlies here" right next to "Enemy squad detected" and I'd know where to go for the next 5-10 minutes.

Within a hex is the key here; I really don't want to travel all the way from one end of the front to the other; typing /who to see how many people are in which hex (and by the time I'm done, the data is outdated anyways).
  7. thrikerr

Sadly /who doesn't even work any more. We just have to wait for them to implement it as an actual feature.
  8. Marked4Death

Yep, it showed only who was shooting, so you could have quiet friendlies in the area and no bubbles, but it was far far better than now. Also the reason it was removed is pretty weak:
    https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/315243749288587265

For now, logout, swap to other faction alt, check "enemy activity", return home. I kid you not I've done this. Also pretty lame that your "enemy" knows more than you do.
  9. Bl4ckVoid

To get some cheap kills, because you will be totally unexpected. Also greedy players will probably camp spawn, it is fun to punish killing them.
  10. Aerolath

This was never suggested in beta...
  11. Bl4ckVoid

The suggestion is totally valid, map should show: friendly players, squads, etc.
    The enemy information should be more up-to-date and accurate too, often I go to a base where enemy squads are detected, and the area is totally empty or only friendly units are there.
    The other joke is the reinforcements are needed deployment, you spawn there and no enemy in sight.