A Story about organised NC and TR Superweapons

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jamuro, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Jamuro

Well thanks to performance issues i left the game quite a while ago ... tried every couple months again to see if the mysterious ongoing performance optimisation finaly happened and to my big big surprise i was actually able to play again.

Now if anyone is interested here are my first impressions as a returning player/pilot ...

I log in and immediatly get placed on hossin.
    Well sh*t ... i never was a fan of hossin and did not want to try and stresstest the "optimised" code too much ... so que up to esamir.

10 Minutes Que ... with me in position 2 ... well ok ... time to fiddle around with my settings and shortcuts and maybe even redownload recursion and a voice pack.

Finaly i get ported to esamir ... only strange thing ... the que overlay didn't disapear.

Doesn't matter, i am back and want some fun ... thanks to the waiting game i even had enough nanites for my lovly esf.

While i was never an ace i previously was able to master the controls and hold my own ... the controlls felt a bit off but that was to be expected after my long break and well dieing is the first step in learning how to fly AGAIN *sigh*

I take off and get a warm and fuzzy feeling when i see that the classics are still there ... meaning my landing gear didn't retract on take off and the afterburner bar wasn't visible in cockpit view.

Reassured that not everything changed ... i take off and fly close to the ceiling in search for some friendly esfs to support my noob ***.

I fly over a small fight and immediatly get the lovly beeping lock on warning ... it's good to be back.
    To my surprise it's not just one red missile of doom that appears on my minimap but a ton.

Panic mode ... wtf NC got an organised anti air squad?!? what kind of wizardry is that?
    Turns out it's not an organised squad but one guy with an anti air launcher that seems to work like the striker.
    Good ... more lockons/semi lockons ... exactly what i wanted :(

Well NC are no fun and have some confusing magic going on that my bitter vet brain can't comprehend ... so let's visit good old vanu.

Got a nice fight ... died and got immediatly ported back to hossing ... took that as a clue to switch to my nc main waste the last few nanites that char had and a new esf.

Ofc i load onto hossin ... *goddarnit* i finaly give in and stay on hossin ... jump into an esf and test out my tree dodging skills.

On my way to the first fight tough i get greeted by a flying prowler that instantly vaporises me with his vulcan.

Bad first day i quess :(

Short rant at the end:
    The flying game was tough enough back when i first tried to get into and additional swarm type lockons that aren't distinguishable (for me) on the minimap from an organised squad ... that doesn't sound like a good thing.

Alsoeveryone seems to be using maxed stealth atm ... don't get me wrong ... i am sure it has good reasons to be the meta ... but it's painfull.

One of the toughest things i had to learn as a new pilot (and will have to relearn) is keeping track of your oponent during/after a manouver and the stealth setup makes this almost impossible and a lot more frustrating than it was back in my days.

And with that new players that weren't able to max it ultimatly stand out even more ... i don't even have to engange to find out if someone is new in the air or not ... i just press q and if it sticks i know it's probably save to engage (or let's say more even than vs a guy with maxed stealth that knows what he is doing and has practise)

I don't realy think that those changes are good or helpfull to new pilots in any way ... but maybe it works ... since there still seem to be a lot of people in the air.

Anyways it's good to be back
  2. Eternaloptimist

I don't much like Hossin either - fine if you want piddling little 1-12 infantry death matches (some people do) and it can be hard to get to another continent during prime time. But since VP system the continents seem to flip more often and there have even been one or two larger fights on Hossin. And ESFs getting multiple lock ons is a common forum topic at present but the better pilots say it is not a problem really, burster maxes are another matter entirely according to them.
  3. Demigan

You fly at the sky ceiling and get locked on... You do realize there's a maximum range on those things right?

If you get locked on you can see what kind of weapon is lockign on and how many at the bottom of your screen. Learn which is which and you can quickly discern what and how many you are being shot with.

Personally whenever I fly I do A2G, and I rarely ever see lock-ons. I really wonder where people get the idea that the ground is completely covered with lock-ons, especially when they are basically just telegraphing "I'm a target over and I'm not at the frontline so you are less likely to be OHK'd by a tank should you choose to fly low".
    Because get this: As A2G aircraft my first targets are G2A weapons. Skyguards are tough unless you attack them from behind ('just' fly around in a large circle and come from the direction they aren't looking at, 90% of the aircraft comes from the front so they rarely look behind them anyways). Burster MAX's are annoying but are almost guaranteed to stick to spawnrooms and Sunderers. Just avoid their regular firing direction (again, the front) and attack them from the side/behind with your powerful aircraft weapons. Rocketpods or noseguns doesn't matter, if he didn't see you approach you can kill them before they get you. Do this a few times even if you don't kill them they will eventually just change weapons as they can score more kills and points with it rather than just becoming a target avain.
    Same goes for lock-ons if I ever see them, kill them a few times and they go do something else. AA is already the least rewarding job in the game, getting killed by the very thing you are supposed to be killing is a blow most people don't enjoy (me neither) and then just switch to something more fun and profitable, live AV or AI.
  4. Jubikus

I think almost all ESF are.
  5. MikeyGeeMan

Welcome back. They tweaked the air craft controls.

And introduced the ns swarm. Which I'm saving up for cause it's cool to watch.

Put your boots on the ground soldier :)