A solution to the Lattice/Hex issue.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DramaticExit, May 29, 2013.

1. asdfPanda

Agreed, this resource and battle flow overhaul would do so much more than the current lattice.
    • Up x 2
  2. Icedaemon

This plan does have my support as well, for what it's worth.

I'd add that it could be good if the resources a certain base produced did not always directly correlate to the base's size. Towers and other highly defensible bases are good because they are defensible, small bases are often minor concerns even though they in practice generally have names like 'X mine' or 'Y storage'. Such small bases should produce the bulk of a given resource type, making them valuable not only in connecting one's warpgate to a desired facility but also in what they provide.

Of course, any meaningful change to resources would probably necessitate a 'nerf' to resource boosts which I, despite having a sub, would honestly welcome.
    • Up x 2
  3. PyroPaul

The problem with the Hex System was a lack of communication.... All it really needed with the introduction of a Continent wide Communications channel that all players could plug into, rather then a select handful of squad leaders that certed some upgrade.

the problem of the lattice system is a lack of freedom... all it needs is the ability to Contest adjacent territories not directly connected via lattice. That is to say, have the ability to revert adjacent territories not connected by lattice to neutral.
    • Up x 2
  4. Vanu Superiority

I like this idea....a lot. It combines the freedom and depth of strategy of the hex system while guiding the direction of battles similar to the lattice.
    • Up x 2
  5. DramaticExit

I keep intending on putting together some images to better explain this, but my time is being gradually overtaken by work and a few deadlines. I'll put some images together over the next few days... But thank you all for your input. It's really appreciated.

There are two threads in the roadmap section which are about adding Lattice to Esamir and Amerish. If this idea or any other alternative to the Lattice and Hex systems is something you support, please PLEASE put your opinions here and on the roadmap threads.

Esamir and Amerish are blank canvasses at the moment. It would be a crying shame to waste that opportunity by imposing the lattice system upon those continents. Far better to use this opportunity to try something new, even if it means delaying the updates to battle flow for those two for a while.

Links to those threads:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/june-esamir-battle-flow-improvements.126344/
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/july-amerish-battle-flow-improvements.126346/

Seriously... Battle flow and the methods used to improve it are vitally important to the future of this game... Probably the most important issue facing PS2 at the moment. It is essential that the right way of improving on both the flawed HEX system and the flawed lattice system are found.

If, like me, you'd rather see an altered or hybrid system tried on those continents, or whatever your preference may be, please make your opinion known there. As I understand it, he upvote and downvote buttons are looked at by the devs as well as the posts put in the thread, and do make an impact on what they implement.

Also, when the battle flow changes are put on the test server, do check it out. I'm planning on downloading the test client tonight to have a look at tomorrow when I get time.
  6. DramaticExit

I just want to directly respond to one post in here...

This is not helpful. Infact it is a highly obnoxious way of being unhelpful. The content of your post is not relevant to the thread. Your opinion may be that this is not a good game, however I and the vast majority of people here will disagree with your comment. If that is your opinion, then make a thread of your own to state that. I'm sure you'll get the rise out of people there which you're after... Or better yet, just walk off and find something you actually enjoy. I'm sure you'll be happier if you do so.

Don't come here and polute what has and continues to be a highly productive discussion... The people throwing ideas around here actually give a damn about the game, and that's worth one hell of a lot more to the community and the game than you mindlessly saying that it's a heap of cash-grabbing crap and an irredeemable game.

Yes SOE have to make money from the game. Sony are a business. It just so happens that in videogames, art and business collide. Nearly every artist and entertainer has to make their art pay so that they can continue entertaining and making art. Even if ideologically I find the infringement of business upon art rather unfortunate (I work in theatre for a living), it is something necessary to make it continue in today's world.
    • Up x 2
  7. Spartan101

*Uses Medi-gun on thread*
    Come on guys, this is a great idea (Both mine[page 3] and the OP ;)) Don't let it get drowned.
    We already got SOE's attention with this thread, lets push this idea into becoming the next battleflow update for Esamir and Amerish!
  8. BlakeA

I think you might be wrong. But correct me if I'm wrong. We all get resources from the sum of territories connected to the warp-gate every cycle (3-5 min?) even if we are in a single cut off hex (ie: a cut off crown still gets a lot of resources if their faction has half the map).

If players cut off from the warp-gate can no longer receive resources deliveries from the warp-gate they will get zero +%50 which is still zero. OR If players can get resources from the land they are standing on then a cutoff bioLab might give 20 infantry +%50 or 30 per cycle.
    Possibilities:
    • Resources are collected by hex contact to the warp-gate but are distributed to players along the lattice path.
    • Resources collected by lattice toward warp-gate THEN distributed by lattice to players along the lattice path.
    There is a notable difference here if you consider the lattice as a two-way road! Metals mined in the east can't get to the warp-gate, thus fewer bullets are given to men in the west.

Third possibility:
    In my mind I got a railroad line that carries ammunition. It's title is Lattice Lines. If cut in half deliveries can no longer be made to the other half but deliveries can be made to everything in it's reach. This is my least favorite idea as the warp-gate is not used to turn raw materials in to machines of war.
    • Up x 1
  9. Riqe1

This has my support. What you need to do is refine the concept, smooth out all the details, and post it on the Suggestion forums or Reditt. As the Devs seem to be more active there then on their own forums...
  10. bodmans

please, this, PLEASE.

and for some more random fcuks, have each resource line have a slight advantage in one category of resources, so 1 with larger amounts of inf, one with more air, etc
  11. Spartan101

12. Jellyman_E

THIS! I've been saying this to my outfit for forever...well since lattice was said to be coming to precious Esamir. I Believe this is the answer, Thumbs up.
  13. DramaticExit

I did have a read of that, and it brought me a little smile.

Still doesn't address the issues with a lattice capping system though... But it looks like a few huge leaps in the right direction in my opinion.
  14. ZipIce

This doesn't solve the lone player issue which is still prevalent.
    The main issue with ghost capping is when a enemy player caps a hex and simply leaves, giving other players a sort of (clean up duty) which is a lot of down time with no fighting going on.

I'm going to stress this:
    DOWN TIME
    is the issue here. If you wanted the hex system to be more effective you would have to gut out capping times when there is simply no opposition in the hex. This way people simply move faster in the directions of a fight rather than waiting for one to happen.

Example: Lone Faction Player C caps a facility and leaves. Squad Faction B Comes and caps all the points, there are no defenders withing the facility EXP range for 30-40ish (maybe less?) seconds, automatic flip to Faction B and B goes fight C at the front-lines.

Another issue with the hex system is population and unfortunately that is simply based off the game's reputation.

The lattice doesn't stop people from sundy parking behind enemy lines and camping with AV/AA weaponry or simply setting up a skeleton base with infiltrator. Your limited by your own imagination if you can't think a strategy for lattice.
  15. Astealoth

get on this, soe boys. this is how it needs to be!
  16. Spartan101

We've had nothing but positive comments in this thread. Everyone seems to like the general idea, so lets refine it.
    SOE has already grabbed the Distributed Resources off us, If we keep this thread alive, perhaps we can refine the rest of the content and get them to trail it on Amerish.

The issue that keeps popping up is back-ghostcaping. How can we solve this? Make players have to stay on point.
    Each player carries a nanite 'transmitter' that has the ability to cap point in a proximity. With normal cap points this functions as normal, you cap the point and it starts ticking over. However, in a territory that does not have a lattice link, this transmitter has to stay within a proximity of the cap point in order to continue capping the region. This can be explained by the lattice links.

The link provides the connection to the warpgate, allowing it to continue capping and allowing players to move around freely, without this link though, players are

required to keep their transmitters nearby in order to have a connection influence. A further point to this could be that conversion of a point requires more 'power' than maintaining it. So for example 3 people are required to flip a point, but only one person needs to stay on the point to continue capping. These numbers are examples only and can be tweaked.

What do you guys think? Pros? Cons? lemme know and we'll refine it.
  17. Kristan

What if I tell you that people don't want to think? Most of players came here to shoot and play. They leave thinking to squad/platoon leaders. And if you think that Lattice doesn't encourages thinking then you are wrong!

Also I find idea of resources as one big mistake and they must be removed and NTU brought back from PS1.

So I don't support your idea in any way.
  18. Spartan101

Are you keeping up with the times? I suggest you take a look at the updated resources section on the roadmap.

Noted, although i'm sure people would appreciate something a little more constructive....
  19. Kristan

Thanks for pointing it out.

Yet I think Lattice system is the only solution. It worked in PS1, so works now in PS2. All the conflict upon Lattice is because it weren't implemented from the beginning.
  20. Dinapuff

"there would be an incentive to make sure these ghost-caps are responded to"

Are you blind? Haven't you seen the months from release to lattice? This whole thread is expresses a fundamental disconnect between what happens ingame and what theoretically can happen ingame.

This idea makes pure HEX look like paradise. At least there you weren't overly forced to deal with one man esf's driving around capping bases and pretending to do strategy. I mean seriously. "Ghost capping would be less of an issue because the ghost cappers would have to be dealt with". Go on amerish on live servers right now. Go there. Go prevent the ghost cappers. Go do that all day and come back. Then tell me how much that time was worth of your life. How strategically meaningful it was and how you want more of it.
    • Up x 1