A Sniper's Ruminations [Problems/Suggestions]

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BetaGuru, Jul 29, 2013.

1. BetaGuru

Ever tried just sitting on a mountain going pew pew? Give it a try and tell me how it works out for you. I'd be shocked if you got twenty kills in an hour.

Any sniper worth their salt is already highly mobile, moving with the battle, establishing nests where they can get the best angle and mitigate returning fire. Only the truly terrible or the very new just park themselves somewhere. I'll thank you to assume as a matter of course that those of us deeply invested in the sniping game pretty much know what we're doing. It's not nanoweave encouraging the style of gameplay you're looking for. It's basic skill anyone suitably advanced exercises.
  2. LT_Latency

Right and the point is they gave you extra abilites like stealth so you don't have to sit on the hill going pew pew pew. You can sit way way way far back but you have to accept you not going to kill with every shot unless you move closer.
  3. BetaGuru

I'm struggling to understand what your point is, I'm afraid.
  4. LT_Latency

In most FPS games you can kill in one shot with a sniper rifle to the head.
    In most FPS you can not stealth

This one they gave you stealth and reduced the range of one shot snipers to increase the short range ability and decrease their long range ability compared to the norm of another fps
  5. BetaGuru

In other FPS games you can prone and the sniper class wears camo that actually works. Meanwhile I can only kneel and my face glows unless I drop $10 on a cosmetic helmet. Your argument is invalid.
  6. LT_Latency

Most games have 3d spotting there is no such thing as camo. You can't compare any camo to the stealth you get in this game.

prone is another ability that more help at long range the shorter ranges
  7. BetaGuru

You can fire while protected by effective camo in games like battlefield, not so in planetside. To fire I have to decloak, displaying my glowing face (I mentioned my face glows, right?) and my empire-specific tracer.

As for what you said about prone, is english not your first language? Your grammar is difficult to parse.
  8. LT_Latency

Wow, really, In planetside 2, You can stealth come right out in to the open, line up a perfect head shot, and then fire. At longer range they can't not even see you until the bullet is already comming.

You can't be taken seriously if you are trying to argue that the stealth ability is not as good as camo in other games
  9. Bill Hicks

You dont get it do you? I dont care how much skill it took. It takes skill to hack Sony's SC system; doesnt mean it should be allowed. In a game with hundreds of people; long range one shot sniper kills would be extremely annoying for infantry. Imagine 20 snipers all going for out of render shots? Smoke doesnt work so that excuse is pointless.

This game would be a ghost town with you elite snipers just killing each other.
  10. Vaphell

pull sniper yourself, countersnipe and farm easy certs? where is the problem?

o rly? so what snipers do against mech/air/max spam? what about indoor meatgrinders?
    When a bunch of shacks in the middle of nowhere aka outposts are sieged by 20 prowlers everything is peachy but few snipers wasting time beyond 100m is 'nooo its unfair and ruins gameplay!'.
  11. Headshots

Latency,

The biggest issue with cloaking is its duration completely maxed out may award 10-15 seconds of invisibility (I don't know the exact time) at range. Sure you can pop out and nail someone, but then you have exposed your position and if you have any brains at all would be wise to move.

Camo on the other hand is a passive that has an infinite duration and can make it incredibly hard to find someone.
  12. LT_Latency

If I had to choose between stealth and camo, I would take the stealth.

If they give you a sniper rifle that removes the ability to stealth then you should be able to head shot nano5 from any range because IMO you gave up a huge ability.
  13. Vaphell

fixed 12s, levels only improve regen. Also strange thing how sniping infs die en masse to other snipers despite their supposed cloak-on easy mode. Half of them are actually the easiest possible target as they are so busy scoping they don't move at all.

camo is also completely silent and doesn't give a warning to everybody in 100m radius 'watch out, faction X inf nearby! better move!'
  14. BetaGuru

I'm not sure you quite get it. It's not like the snipers would have any more ability than they do now. And the hypothetical situation you paint where it's just a bunch of snipers everywhere... you're kidding, right? I'm going to wager a guess that if you linked your players site for your main character, We wouldn't see more than... 200 kills with any given sniper rifle. You don't seem to fully grasp what the gameplay is like. A classic case of grass being greener.
  15. Jkar

Yes give snipers camo like this:

[IMG]
  16. LT_Latency

That is fine, Camo only works at long range when you are not moving.

If people want to camp from 4 miles out with camo I am ok with that,
  17. Lagavulin

No, not really. I can see plenty of bull**** though.
  18. ToothpasteEater

I totaly love ideas of cert tree, bigger difference between sniper rifles and disorientation from headshoot. I thought about revarding long range kills and then i realised that it took me less than five minutes in VR to set a waypoint on one of the enemies and write down where should i shoot and how much dots enemys body takes at different distances (to quickly measure distance, you always can set waypoint if you have enough time though) to kill any stationary target up to 300m just because game engine limits me(and now i have hit count/headshot ratio of 2.63 while OPs is 2.73 with same accuracy, he has double the xp/min though),but I don't mind getting small(1-5%) xp bonus.
    As to all the nanowave armor and OHK it's clearly not up to any of us to decide if sniper rifles should OHK. I don't think devs were like:"Oh, let's just pick a randoms suit slot and double it for no reason" and i wholeheartedly hope they knew that this will happen.
    And i would like to note that in any big battle, any class ,except for MAX maybe, can't make a big difference, you're just lost in the crowd of dozens of medics, heavies, engineers etc. around you and it's not reasonable to expect to make any impact on the battle on your own.
    P.S I'm nowhere near to OPs 5000 kills with BASR and i don't think i will ever get there as long as infil is not my main class so you can count any of my arguments as BS due to my lack of experience.
  19. BetaGuru

Thank you for your absolute minimum contribution to the conversation.
  20. Rift23

Hmmm, you're right. I guess I'll just have to go hang out with my 19 other friends with our out of render-range AV turrets.