A small rant: RE- Packet Loss

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Juunro, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Juunro

Increasingly on Emerald it seems that I am getting killed by people who 1-shot ding me: as in I am killed in less then one second by an SMG or a pistol or what have you. I don't even get the hit indicator. They are not cheating- well, probably not, intentionally. What is happening is packet-loss + client side hit reg. It has been a problem since the game was launched. Recently, I noticed Connery seems to have tiny amounts of population on it during prime time, while Emerald is brimming and brimming with people that I haven't seen before, in apparently large outfits I haven't seen before.

What's happening appears obvious- Koreans/Aussies have run the west coasters off the West Coast server, and now they are playing on the East Coast server and doing to us what the aformentioned Koreans/Aussies did to them.

This game NEEDS a packet-loss kick function, that escalates to a ban. If you are playing on a terrible internet connection in the middle of absolutely nowhere, or in South America, or Korea, or wherever, fine. I am sorry. But you are ruining the game for everyone else, and you should be, frankly, gone. I would wager that 95% of all claims that someone in this game is hacking is based on this effect. There have been videos, many of them, posted of how this works. Reddit and here. It is a known issue. It is the reason people on the Euro servers constantly complain about Russians. It is why .75 ads was so powerful- the movement was just fast enough to let you exploit the hit box detection using this effect.

******* fix it. If you can't fix the engine, then put a hard cap on player ping/packet loss, anything above which gets them kicked. Do it before you drive the last players you have away.
  2. rockhead101

The game has entered it's final stages. There is nothing DBG can add that will increase revenue flow. THAT is the end all and be all of a game. This is a business, run by an investment company. The game is old, and there is no response to the crapfest that has become gameplay. DBG cannot restrict players in any way without cutting into revenue flow. It is hard to find a decent unit to play with on emerald, with a big part being language barriers. DBG needs the foreign players on the servers for the cash flow, even though it is killing gameplay.
  3. Sh4n4yn4y

Aaaah, the life of a Briggs player. We may rarely see another player, but at least we generally have a decent connection when we do.
    • Up x 1
  4. Eternaloptimist

If opening more servers is the issue (so everyone gets a good local connection) then revenue is the answer.

If how to get the revenue to do this is the issue then charging everyone something to play (maybe less than current subs) is the answer.

I am not convinced that all the F2P planetmans would quit the game (based on the number of times I hear F2P players talking about how much DBC they buy to spend on their avatars) and having regular income to invest in better gameplay will eventually stand a chance of bringing more people into a more reliable game.

The ones who don't pay anything at all now are not going to hit DBG revenue if they stop playing. Paying members may be put off by having fewer decent-size battles due to low number for a while but who knows?
  5. QuebraRegra

So familiar..
    The year was 2012 and there we were telling DICE they needed to region/latency lock the servers, or at least post the ping results after the match (would be after kill for PS2). It never happened, because it's the dirty secret behind the curtain.

I don't see why checking player connections/monitoring latency would interfere with revenue income (beyond the cost of implementing). Not sure how the servers would handle it.

DB could/may/will see a significant cash infusion into the game when it's ported to XBOX (look at DC UNIVERSE). There were optimizations made over the PS4 version apparently. There's plenty of cosmetics to sell, but weapon variety seems like 2 many reskins.

DB could choose to use that revenue to improve the game, or dev PS3. The ports can't be terribly costly as the current gen consoles are in fact low PCs.
  6. vitanidb

So...

Is defaulting people to the server they should be in so bad of an idea?

For example. You're Italian (random example), but you (for reasons completely beyond my comprehension) started playing Emerald and now you have a BR 70 Terran Republic character, so even though you likely have 200+ ms on Emerald you don't want to go to Cobalt/Miller because you've already made considerable progression in the wrong server.

Can nothing really be done about situations like this?
  7. QuebraRegra

"region lock" isn't the best solution... within a region you'll still have players with various latencies/packet loss, etc. (intentional or otherwise) depending on their network provider. The ideal solution is to group servers by latency ranges. If a player lags beyond the minimum for the server for "x' period they could be kicked, sent back to spawn, etc.

there will always be a segment with which this approach will be unpopular. Likely the same "MLG" players who have manipulated their network connection to gain advantage (network congestion generation/lag switching, etc.)
  8. FeralBoy

I honestly don't know what was the ultimate cause of the event that I captured in these 2 screenshots but this thread seemed as good of a place as any to talk about recent buggy events effecting more players than just myself since these last few patches/updates.

The 1st screenie I call "Where my Purple Proxies were." After hacking this v-term at Ceres Farms I placed 1 proxy just inside the doorway on the left jamb and dropped the 2nd proxy in front of me directly behind the right side of the v-term pedestal. I then spawned a Harrasser and went on my merry way to Peris Amp Station to blow up some wall turrets.
    [IMG]

This 2nd screenie I call "Where my Purple Proxies went."
    When I ran out of ammo and returned to spawn another Harrasser I noticed my proxies were gone even though I never saw the little explosion icon that appears on your HUD when they're detonated. Then I noticed 2 random proxies outside. So I ran over to this tree (this general area had been completely devoid of any activity except myself for some time, it's unlikely some random VS cloaker dropped these in such a random low chance to kill location) and here were 2 proxies in the identical position and relationship to each other as the 2 proxies I had dropped about 5 minutes ago. Except now, as you can see from the v-term distance hologram, they were now almost exactly 50m away from where I saw myself place them.

[IMG]

I hadn't been lagging, stuttering, chopping, or anything of the sort.
    I've never had anything like this happen before in PS2.
    o_O
  9. vitanidb

Regionlock isn't how I would describe it per se. But because personal circumstances are a thing then what could be done to avoid worst case scenarios would be to prevent people from playing servers in which their pings are already in 300+ (or whatever the red ping value starts from)
    • Up x 1
  10. Juunro

This absolutely needs to be a thing. I was just playing on my VS alt and was getting chain killed by someone who, on my screen, wasn't even firing until I was dead. Nobody else was lagging at all. I'd just go down instantly and suddenly there was a TR there firing at my corpse. This wasn't a big fight either, this was a 1-12 v 1-12. It's this kind of thing that I am talking about. The guy wasn't hacking, the guy was operating with a gigantic ping. His KDR was all of like...1.4; not hacker stats in the slightest.

But it completely sapped the fun out of the fight, and made me stop playing, very possibly for the rest of the day.

I wonder how many other people have decided to just stop playing because of this kind of nonsense?
  11. QuebraRegra

At first I thought the games's netcode was better, but I think the truth is that the PS2 playerbase has fewer player taking the intentional "LAG ADVANTAGE" currently... If this becomes a thing for the kiddies all will be lost :(