A simple solution for redeployside

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Copasetic, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Copasetic

To be clear, the problem (as I see it) is NOT the ability to redeploy. Being able to change fights or help shore up defense at a reinforcements needed spawn is an important part of the game, I don't think we should get rid of that.

The problem is the new meta of platoons moving players around the map en masse, using squad spawn options to bypass the population control on the "reinforcements needed" spawns. As long as the 4 squad leaders get in all 48 people can get into the base, even if there's only 12 attackers there. The base gets roflstomped in no time at all and in 10 seconds all 48 people suddenly appear in the next base. That's garbage.

The solution is really simple: Starting at 50% pop add an increasing nanite cost to all forms of spawning from more than 1 hex away. Once you are in the hex you're free to respawn there with no penalty, even through beacons and such regardless of the population. This only affects spawning into the hex from more than 1 hex away.

For example, a 48 man platoon is spawning into a 22v24 base from another hex (through a beacon, spawn on squad leader, whatever):
    1. Gets in free
    2. Gets in free - pop is now 50/50
    3. Costs 20 nanites
    4. Costs 30 nanites
    5. Costs 50 nanites
    6. Costs 80 nanites
    7. Costs 130 nanites (it's a Fibonacci sequence!)
    8. etc.

This turns mass redeployment into a logistical nightmare. The alternative is exactly what big organized groups of players should be doing anyway: pull Galaxies or Sunderers and enter the hex that way.

Meanwhile randoms and small squads can still change fights or reinforce a base with no penalty, provided they don't cross the 50% mark. And even then they could still join up with their squad if they have to, it just costs some nanites to do it. Likewise platoons are free to deploy a single squad to a 12v24 fight, or 2 squads to a 12v36 fight. As many as it takes to create an even fight but no more than that.

Is this going to stop zerging? No, I don't believe anything can. Is it going to stop some outfits dropping 48 guys on a 12v12 with 4 Galaxies? No, but at least you can see that coming, it takes time, it costs them resources and it makes that outfit incredibly inefficient. When every move takes just as much work you're much better off hitting multiple things at once.

Thoughts?
    • Up x 1
  2. SvengalPlaysGames

Hey I've made my own solution to this and I think it's pretty good as well so would you guys like to check this video?
  3. Vango

Alternative to both of those - remove the squad deploy option from the game.
  4. iller

The Devs seem to bend over backwards for Zergfits, I don't think anything is ever going to get changed there unfortunately
  5. Firebert

Not sure if this is the solution but something needs to be done about the constant redeployment. I usually play with an outfit that makes heavy use of the tactic and it is a real buzz kill for me. It makes large scale strategy laughable and transport vehicles redundant. I don't find the two or three minute travel time to be a killer to the next fight a killer. If anything it builds my anticipation and excitement. The biggest rush I've experienced in this game is making a Galaxy drop into a combat zone.
  6. VonStalin

add more restrictions for redeploying and I am out. I have done enough hours in all continents traveling and exploring, I am not interested in that any more. I just want fast action. One action is over I redeploy to another, alone or with my squad, does not matter. Don't slow down the game, don't make it boring. I already have to redeploy sometimes 5 times before I get where I want - this is annoying.
    • Up x 1
  7. Milspec

I've been squadding up to look for an outfit to join for a couple of weeks now. I have to say the least fun times have been Redeployside gameplay. I guess the intention was to overcome the distance from the warpgate to the base next to the contested one, after which it was presumed everyone would travel by armor / air from that base?

But when one travel mechanism is way more effective than another, guess which one everyone will use? No mystery there. The devs never should have put in the ability to literally bunnyhop squads / platoons all over the map as a force projection mechanism. Because it's effective at doing that, that's all some squads/platoons will do, all night long.

So in a number of squads/platoons I've joined, we redeployed to the WG for galaxy drops again and again and again, and redeployed to squad deploy here/there/everywhere, because why would we spawn to the base right next to the fight, pull armor and air, and go attack or reinforce conventionally, when we can just hit U and hop into a Gal, or be ported right inside the contested base?

Also, not to support redeployside, but I noticed a problem - you can't redeploy into a Max even if you're in one at the time you hit U, so 450 resources kaput, or your Maxes are separated from the squad. Reverting those resources when redeploying would fix that problem.
  8. TheFamilyGhost

Another idea to destroy players being creative. My sense of irony wonders if the OP is also a pro- meta game guy.

No.
  9. TheFamilyGhost

I was going to, but then I realized you used a pejorative reference to what you propose to solve.

Conflict of interest is interesting to observe, but rarely provides good alternatives.
  10. VonStalin

Players just want to have fun. If no redeploy, then all platoon would just simply move to the next base, and next... So critical mass happens. Big lag happens.Tsunami of zerg goes through the continent camping spawn rooms. Fun? Don't think so.
    But when you ask everybody to redeploy, you loose third of the platoon every time you do so, because players don't want to leave their max suits or tanks. But redeploying is more fun then zerging like tsunami and camping spawns. Redeploying - helps to prevent that. Redeploy adds fun, splits zerg and reduces lag, adds more epic situations to the game, adds more epic last seconds and so on.
  11. OldMaster80

Did you see there is a button called Instant Action in the left corner of the map? That's for fast fast combat.

It's time devs face the truth: current redeploy settings (see February's patch notes "cross reinforcement system") are hurting the game more than any balancement issue.

I understand redeploy can't be removed completely but a fix is needed asap: once population hits 50%/50% in a given territory redeploy has to be instantly denied.
  12. CipherNine

Players being creative in what? Choosing which base to zerg down next?
  13. OldMaster80

When exactly pressing a button and clicking on another base became creativity? Are you saying that redeploying requires more skill and planning than resecuring with vehicles?
    • Up x 1
  14. Copasetic

Nobody is talking about removing redeploy. All this change would do is remove the ability to zerg a base through redeploy. That's it.

Solo players will still be able to redeploy to another base exactly as they do today, absolutely nothing will change for them.

Squads will still be able to redeploy, they'll just have to choose places that can accommodate them without tipping the population balance too far to one side. Ie. a squad of 12 can't just redeploy themselves into a 12v14, 2 will get in and the other 10 will pay increasing resource costs to join them. They can however redeploy themselves into a 12v24 no problem. If they really want to zerg a base they can fly or drive there.

Platoons will be forced to split up or to fly/drive to their next zerg. They won't be able to abuse redeploy to teleport their 48 people into a 12v12 anymore. That's the big change.

I completely agree that redeploy is an important part of the game. As a solo player I use it all the time to move from fight to fight, that's why I tried to come up with a solution that solves the teleporting zerg problem without impacting everyone else too badly.
  15. hostilechild

Should just make it once a base reaches 60-40 (more than enough to hold unless there "challenged") redeploy stops working and you have to get there some other way.

The system was meant for reinforcements not platoon movement. Platoons should have better things to do like take new territory (although that has little use anymore). If need a place resecured you send a squad not all 48 who then sit around doing nothing as not enough targets. Good platoons only send whats needed with the current system and leave once no longer for a good fight (exp/time)

Problem currently is everyone jumps at once and all squads get in a lot of the time.

This is somewhat a zerg to zerg issue. If you were attacking 4-5 locations they would have to defend 4-5 locations. Currently however its usually more like 2 or 3 at most fights that people jump between. The more fights the less possibility of redeployside ruining it.

When SOE makes it important to have territory again and a reason to have fights in more locations, the problem lessens.

Until then the players (Platoons) that are good should look to force the other empires into splitting forces to defend multiple locations.
    Create your own fix instead of *****.
  16. TheRunDown

Well, it appears that people have a completely different opinion to what RedeploySide is to what I see it as.. :p

RedeploySide to me is a name given to people who abuse the Redeploy button to avoid deaths, keeping their Kills High and Deaths Low.. often used by Drives and Pilots after losing their vehicle and denying the enemy the kill..

When I read this, I thought someone came up with a solution to fix it xD

Apparently not :3 but if you want to know, they need to bring back the PlanetSide way.. Can't redeploy unless standing still, and haven't taken damage for 2.5 seconds..
  17. Stromberg

reinforcement redeploying is a good thing. since it's in, ghost caps or spawn camps barely ever happen. the actual problem is squad deploy.

if you're in a squad the reinforcment needed redepoy should be simply replaced by squad deploy. so you decide what you want, "organized" squad play or quick lone-wolfing.
  18. IvanCGray

Just limit the number of Drop pods allowed per person, per hour.
  19. Copasetic

It's a confusing term but basically it refers to big outfits moving their entire platoons across the map through the reinforcement and spawn on squad leader mechanics. They'll deploy into a small fight with 3x the numbers, stomp everything including all the attacking Sunderers and then deploy out to the next base to do it again. Using the spawn on squad leader option it takes less than 20 seconds to move 48 people across the map and they can do it as often as they like.

To them this is a lot more efficient than using Galaxies and a lot easier than splitting their platoon up to defend multiple bases at once. When it only takes a couple minutes to deploy into and completely resecure a base there's no reason to split your forces, you just jump from one problem area to the next. Which is what happens in alerts on a regular basis.