A serious threat to the competitive/MLG community.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Earthman, Oct 19, 2013.

1. De_Dominator

I think game mechanics make you think that there are more cheaters. Most of the time when I got killed in nearly impossible ways, I also curse those "cheaters". But that is not necessarily that they are cheating, it is just my anger.
  2. Eugenitor

What, another thread about this?

Good players will shoot you as soon as they see you. They will also shoot you as soon as they hear you (Q spotters and cloakers, take note). They will also shoot you if they know where you're going. For example, I can follow cloaked ghosts into their hiding spots because that's where I hide. (Under the amp station central stairs, natch).

Good players cannot get a defined amount of headshots per second. They cannot shoot you at improbable ranges and get constant hits with fully automatic fire. They cannot go under the floor. A good player will use in-game radar tools to see where you are on the X-Z axis. He cannot know where you are in the Y (height) with them. He cannot run even slightly faster than normal unless he's a class with the relevant perk (stealth cheaters think they can get away with 120-150% speed sometimes).

There are a lot of good players and a lot of stealth cheaters.

If you have been watching him for a while and think he's cheating, he probably is.
  3. Some1

Every time a hacking thread like this comes up I say the same thing

Report, and move on. Even if a little suspicious, its better to get the guy on the GM's radars then have him go undetected.

At the same time, you are not the judge of all players and dwelling on how the guy may or may not be hacking does nothing to help you.
  4. Nocturnal7x

The biggest threat is the game itself. It makes no sense for this game to have a competitive scene, not an MLG one anyway.
  5. Camycamera

the last time i saw a legit cheater was back in January.
  6. SarahM

Can't repeat this often enough...

• client side hit detection
    • MLG
    Choose one.

Most hacks in games only work because the server accepts and/or trusts arbitrary input/commands send by the client. When the client has the ability to tell the server about shots/hits, nothing stops people from exchanging the hit detection routines on the client with a routine which always reports headshots. Or when the clinet tells the server "I'm now at position xyz", which is not within walking speed distance, but on the other side of the map... that's what's known as a teleport hack.

Now, if the client would only be allowed to tell the server "I'm moving in (some direction) with (speed)" and the server then checks whether that speed is ok (not over 9000 or whatever the maximum is) and then tells the client "Ok, you're now at (location)" or "Nope, you're now at (old/correct location)"... well, that would completely shut down teleport hacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag_(online_gaming) nicely explains this in more detail.

TL;DR: Never trust the client. Also client side hit detections sucks.
    • Up x 1
  7. TrenchDigger

i played some competitive leagues while i was in a MLG clan. People still cheat and try to use any glitch/exploit possible to win. They usually get caught and kicked out. It's just the nature of people, you have some that have skill and win honestly and others who will try win at any cost, ie cheating
  8. RobotNinja

But according to Smedley PS2 has a "sophisticated detection algorithm!" Of course, that sophisticated algorithm only consists of a process viewer which is activated when your game crashes which doesn't matter if you have PS2's crash reporter firewalled but, it's like uh...super sophisticated and uh...stuff.

Combat Arms which is pretty much the worst FPS ever with the crappiest cheat detection ever with pretty much every single game overrun by cheaters...still has better cheat detection than PS2 which is beyond sad.

Well, one of the (just one of many mind you) most popular PS2 hack sites boasts over 4000 members so...I dunno...I'm just making a wild guess here that there may actually be more than a "few" cheaters in PS2.
  9. Hoki

I've been banned from 5 counter strike servers back in the day before VAC. Admins on witch hunts.

OMFG someone killed me, ******* hacker. OMFG you killed 3 people with a shotgun really fast, ******* hacker. OMFG you should have been flashed, ******* hacker.

Most hackusations boil down to MOST players feel that they are better than average players.

Funny how most hackusations come from people with ****** k/d and spm.
  10. tproter

One of the most common retorts of hackers is "learn to play".

Go figure.
  11. Hoki

There were two videos I watched today where the same person was accusing them of aimbotting. I watched the vid and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

The accuser wasn't even an average player, who felt himself qualified to decide what is beyond the realm of natural skill.

And honestly all he did was embarrass himself.