[Suggestion] A new server!!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Silkensmooth, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Silkensmooth

While the idea of combined arms seems great, in practice it pretty much winds up as vehicles farming infantry. Awful for the new player, and not fun for the infantry which is most of the player-base.

Also rampant and extremely un-fun to die to are snipers. They are everywhere, they are a drag, and im sure its awful for the new player.

Max units never should have been added to the game in their current iteration.

So i suggest a new server with NO vehicles, except weaponless and nanite free sunderers and valks and gals. NO infiltrators, even though i mainly play them lol. And NO max units.

And since there are no vehicles and no max units we will also have NO C4 and No rocket launchers!

I would bet real life money that such a server would be packed 24/7.

Newsflash; people dont like to get farmed.

The infantry fighting in this game is excellent fun, but its ruined by the aforementioned farming tools.
  2. Duncan1d4h0

I concur. I would play there. No, its not planetside anymore, but it would be more fun.
  3. Sazukata

Sounds okay at first, but then we're stuck with heavies as the primary fun-killer.

I'd rather we fix things than remove them completely.
    • Up x 4
  4. LordKrelas

So just heavies, LAs & medics, endlessly slugging.

And if you remove the Rocklets (I'd assume you would be, given the RL's), now you also can't remove the endless sunderer spam.
    Past if lucky, the anti-tank mines or ramming.

Not to mention; You'd still be farmed.
    • Up x 2
  5. adamts01

This game would be a whole lot better without aircraft, armor and Maxes. So I agree with you there. But aside from asking for basically a new game, we have too many servers as it is. Briggs is dead, and now that Soltech is up we're more than likely going to need a Connery/Emerald merge.

I don't know if you followed MWO at all, but their population wasn't doing great, and they kept dividing it further by implementing new mode after new mode. That's the last thing PS2 needs to do.
  6. Ak69

haha. Go play something else, It's planetside 2. The game needs MORE encouragement for hardware not less and certainly not another server to further dilute the player base. This would be another step of the game shooting it self in the foot. Go play an infantry game if all you want is that, tf2, csgo, battlefield, cod, the slew of battle royal games you seem to be lusting for. If you're being farmed by vehicles you're not reacting to the situation correctly.
    • Up x 1
  7. XxKingBostonxX

Definitely do not need more servers. They need to consolidate the playerbase, focus on marketing, and getting the engine up to DX 11 so they can draw new players in and keep them
    • Up x 1
  8. Silkensmooth

Dark Age of Camelot did something like this. They created a 'classic' server, and it brought back a ton of people.

As we see there are very few people still playing this game, which is odd, because its such a good game.

But for a lot of people, including the dozen or so of my friends i got into this game who all imediately quit after getting sniped and tanked repeatedly, constantly dying to things you cant see, or defend against isn't fun.

It wouldn't probly change anything on current servers, because all of the infantry that enjoy getting farmed would stay.

This new server would attract back the players, in their multitude, who quit playing due to the aforementioned bad game mechanics.
  9. adamts01

That might be the case, maybe. I 100% think this would be a better game with your proposals, and that's even coming from a vehicle main. Vehicle combat is trash, and air has never been good or balanced. And then Maxes.... But I still think fragmenting the player base would be a huge mistake. And if you like pure infantry combat, other games do it sooooo much better. Even without vehicles/Maxes, you'd still have crappy chicken dance duels, zerging, no point to open land between bases, suicide C4/shotgun/knife spam, HA meta...

I can't say I have hope for this game ever being great, but I think Daybreak will make it a little better. They need to dial this current game in as well as they can, and milk it till PS3 can be made.
    • Up x 1
  10. LordKrelas

Your friends quit after a sniper killed them repeatedly?
    Do they quit every game that has a sniper rifle in it then? Did they try cover? Motion?

Bad game mechanics?
    You do know, the CQC fighting of this, outside of tanks & snipers, is crouch-spamming which also boosts weapon accuracy right?
    We have overshields, that counteract flanking unless you are a beautiful shot: Which can also ensure that Shielded opponent, can farm less-accurate opponents pretty quick.

You remove snipers, and tanks; The Heavy Assault with the Overshield is still the ultimate infantry grade farm machine.
    The Sniper, at best (or in this context, worst), is anti-static-position.
    The thing is, if you stand still against any infantry, they'll chain head-shot you into oblivion.
    Which, you can't do anything about, any more than that sniper round;
    The ones who can aim their guns, will hit you in the head, damn fast.
    -- At which point, you pretty much have the same chance as before, just you watch the death in basically slow-motion.

Add in Shotguns, and it gets comic.

If they quit, since a vehicle did what an heavy-assault does to them, not since they were funneled into a spawn-room kill-zone..
    They are seeming annoyed that a vehicle did it, not the situation that caused it;
    Which means they went into the wrong game in the first place; We have infantry, we have vehicles, we have aircraft.
    Every trailer showed this.

If they quit from a Sniper shooting them in the head, and considered that impossible to stop;
    I'm going to assume, they couldn't survive the Heavy Assault in their face either.
    As if you don't strafe to that, or any combatant, you die;
    The Sniper is just the direct "If you stand still, I'll kill you" as they can't reliably hit a moving target.
    Everyone else, will also miss a bit, if you stand still; Every single weapon has a headshot multiplier.
    • Up x 2
  11. That_One_Kane_Guy

With no snipers or vehicles to counter them? The sniper mains use the T2 Battle Rifles and do exactly what they do as infiltrators just slightly slower. The MAX mains run Heavy Assault and the Vehicle mains don't factor here because most quit with CAI anyways. Essentially you have exactly what we have now, just put on a diet and with fewer particle effects. (Also I hope you got rid of construction in this server, otherwise the prospect of storming a decent PMB with nothing but infantry doesn't bode well for player retention.)

A Newbie won't notice a significant difference between a sniper killing him in one shot and a battle rifle killing him in 2, or between a MAX and a BR100 Heavy chaining headshots. In fact, people tend to get even more frustrated in those situations because at that point the skill gap becomes even more apparent. It's easier to write off a death because your killer used something "cheap" or "unfair", but it becomes much harder to ignore when the only separating factor is clearly between the chair and monitor.
    • Up x 1
  12. Who Garou

There was a rumor going around that they are making an Areana/Battle Royale version of Planetside.
    Sounds like that is the game that you are looking for. Probably won't have vehicles since it won't require long distance travel to get to bases.
    Have fun with that ... if it happens.

I won't be supporting it.

• Up x 5
  13. DeadlyOmen

One dimensional games are boring.
    • Up x 3
  14. Silkensmooth

No i played dark age of camelot for 10 years and there were no vehicles, and it was fun. There were boats but they couldn't shoot you or run you over.
  15. FateJH

Let's just get this reductio ad absurdum out of the way:

This game would probably be much more fun with no players.
    • Up x 2
  16. Zagareth

ORly?
    Newsflash: but people like to farm! :D

There are always 2 sides on a medal
    • Up x 1
  17. Towie

...says the person who almost exclusively plays Sniper !

(Just saying...)
  18. Zagareth

Of course.

Once you reach a certain age in your (RL) lifetime, you do the things where you are good at... and not the things anymore where you think you are good at.
    Good thing in this game is, that it supports a lot ways of playstyle and not only these limited, bulletspraying, suiciding, infantry playstyle, where younger kids think its the only way to compete...
    • Up x 1
  19. Sky_collapsed BL

Snipers and aircraft to get annoying but i don't think setting up a server without these would be as popular as you think.

if i'm getting spammed by tanks and aircraft and the team isn't doing **** to stop it i normally just close the game down.
  20. Skraggz

Sounds a lot like the OP wants PSA, good news friend.... PSA fixes that. I'll be here playing ps2 for what it is.... a combined arms game.

Btw there are 50+ shooters out there that don't have vehicles in them that have infantry only, pick one.
    • Up x 2