a more detailed rich environment.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ironeddie, May 25, 2014.

1. ironeddie

I know this has been said before though I haven't read it in a while.

I've been playing the new wolfenstein fps. The levels are so detailed everywhere there are objects. Posters on walls, furniture. Computer stations and all manner of things which create a rich and interesting environment to play through.

It's brought home to me just how spartan PS2 is. It hasn't bothered me a lot before I'm not saying it should be a priority. But I do wish the devs would add some stuff inside bases and in the wider world just to add some depth to this game.
    • Up x 1
  2. Plunutsud pls

Unlike Wolfenstein, PS2 is massive and more detail = more stuff to render = worse performance.
    • Up x 9
  3. KnightCole

Yeah, you add more stuff into PS2, this game would become absolutely unplayable....
    • Up x 3
  4. eldarfalcongravtank

only thing i'd really like is occasional sandstorms on indar, blizzards on esamir and heavy rain on amerish. the enviroment needs to be more alive and dynamic
    • Up x 5
  5. Plunutsud pls

That will totally trash fps.
    • Up x 1
  6. Iridar51

Bloody morrowing has sandstorms, didn't trash my FPS 10 years ago.
    • Up x 5
  7. Plunutsud pls

Well, in my case, I can vividly recall my first playthrough of the original Crysis and how my fps plummeted when the aliens froze the island and snow started falling everywhere.
  8. ironeddie

yeah I know. But in fairness every other mmo is much more detailed than ps2. And some of them are pretty huge as well. I'm sure this game could have much more in it and not be to costly on performance. Maybe it's beyond the current devs abilities but I bet they could find a solution if they wanted to.
  9. Plunutsud pls

I have yet to see another MMO FPS with more detail than Planetside 2, especially if you consider the fact that every projectile in this game has ballistics and can be rendered on your screen in the hundreds at any give second without grinding your fps to a halt.

Plus there's all the shaders, lighting, vegetation and other particle effects on your screen, all at the same time.

I have to say I'm still amazed at how the devs managed to even pull it all off.
  10. Iridar51

First Crysis is notorious for bad optimization and performance issues...

Oh wait, I see where you're going with this. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 4
  11. FieldMarshall

That would be cool. Just like Planetside 1.
    Used to love those rolling thunderstorms, making the fight more epic.
  12. Longasc

Well... I doubt much is going to happen.

But weather and better water would be quite a treat.
    • Up x 3
  13. Crashsplash

Yea, but everyone (nearly everyone) turned them off.
  14. ironeddie

I can't think of another mmofps. And I know the scale of PS2 makes what's easy or standard to implement in any other game a challenge.

But that's not to say this game wouldn't be better with more stuff in it. Computer banks in bases, beds, tables, objects on the tables. Posters on walls themed to various factions with witty slogans and propaganda. Stuff to make this more immersive.
    • Up x 1
  15. DrPapaPenguin

Wolfenstein doesn't hold a candle to level sizes of PS2 though. Of course they can afford to be more detailed if they only work with a single-player experience in a controlled and small-scale environment.
    • Up x 1
  16. dBMachine

Non-MMO FPS game levels are designed like a single guided shoot to direct you where to go. They pack the detail density because the level sizes, overall, are MUCH smaller than anything you would get in an MMO.
  17. Key Pusher

So nothing would change.
  18. SinerAthin

A Sandstorm or rain won't necessarily kill your FPS.

It depends on how it's implemented, and to what level of detail.

If they model individual rain drops, then yeah, might be heavy, but if they just introduce a broad rain pallet, it'll devour significantly less power.

We already have fog in the game already, even though it's barely used, and it doesn't even touch the FPS. Like the fog on Amerish, or the occasional fog in the Indar crater.
    • Up x 1
  19. Tommyp2006

Would be nice to see, maybe it'll happen in 3 or 4 years when the average gaming pc catches up to where the top end stuff is now.
  20. ironeddie

Don't get hung up on the wolfenstein bit. It was just playing that game which reminded me what a rich game environment looks like.