a look at the new lynx and the new TR HC1 Cougar

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by ghost001985, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Paperlamp

The Mercenary. I think I've said this about 10 million times on this forum already. The Mercenary has a much longer effective range while still having solid close range TTK.

I'd also take the AC-X11 of course but that won't happen.
  2. Odin

Paperlamp u crack me up, u complain in another thread that the new lynx (that is within .01 ttk time of the serpent and gd7f) is not good enough to match the gd7f yet your trying to say the merc is ok in cqc and it has a terrible ttk compared to any cabine over 700 rof. You sir are hilarious .
    • Up x 1
  3. hawken is better

Seems like the stats on the new Lynx and Cougar have been slightly changed since yesterday; both of them feel like they're less accurate. I think this is a good change.
  4. Bankrotas

Cougar :D
    • Up x 1
  5. Goretzu

Heh, exactly. :)

Sorry, but the Merc good as it is, isn't a Jag competitor, it's better a long range, but worse at short range and is much closer to the Trac-5 (or even T5).

The AC-X11 sort of is (although whether SOE want it to be is confusing - Comp, Ad Grip, HVA - yet slow velocity), but that's more that the gun functions best as a close-mid generalist Carbine (and doesn't work so well as either a long range or CQB Carbine), rather than really directly competing with the Jag.

The NC really has nothing that sits in the space the Jag occupies - good hipfire, good close range, good medium range, ok longer range.
  6. Bankrotas

Just to let you know, you're twisting his words and that makes you look like a politician/lawyer. And nobody likes those.
    • Up x 1
  7. Hiding in VR

Quite frankly if any of these new/re-vamped weapons have less horrible recoil, I shall buy all of them, even if their other characteristics mean they aren't very good overall. If for no other reason than to give SOE some positive reinforcement :D
  8. Iridar51

I'm not twisting anything.
    I said "bumping down damage to bump up RoF, which will result in lower overall DPS, is meaningless"
    He said "but the DPS will still be high!"
    "Yeah, so what? It's still a nerf" I reply.
  9. Bankrotas

No. You converted his talk about DPS to whole performance of the gun. Neglecting that it's better in ADS, sprays more bullets and RoF in itself is an advantage.

Here's changes of first iteration (second patch seems only to update weapon skins and they are looking quite good):
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AtUnPHpRxh6EdHM3cEVST2QwVk9xamtQeVRpQnVhc0E&type=view&gid=6&f=true&colid0=0&filterstr0=LC2 Lynx&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

Now question is. Did Lynx needed a buff or a rework? Cause it got a rework not a buff. And I don't see it as a nerf.
    • Up x 5
  10. Jaedrik

DPS really isn't as important as everyone makes it out to be.
    Accuracy and mobility are more important in an FPS game like PlanetSide 2, compared to other FPS games that is.
    I want an accurate, automatic TR gun. There are none. Our Empire Specific Cone of Fire traits make it nigh impossible.
  11. Goretzu

No, I'm not saying that at all.

Which is probably partially why most TR starter weapons perform better statstically. (however TTK has to be taken into account, as in some cases as DPS can be slightly misleading)

No it didn't. :confused: It didn't have a higher RoF than its equiverlents (for good reason, but it still didn't).

The new Lynx does fulfil all that but in a balanced way, i.e. not by just making it flat-out better than its equiverlents.

Planetside 1, Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online all got there or there abouts eventually (MMORPGs have a slightly worse problem in that level increases tend to reset much of the balance work).

Planetside 2 isn't very far off itself currently, since PU2.

There's four! :)

That's RoF isn't it? :confused: We're talking about DPS, not RoF.

So what do you think the GD-7F and Serpent should be bullet damage/RoF-wise? (bearing in mind high RoF is an intrinic advantage in CQB especially)

Having to resort to insults just means you've failed in the discussion, as your arguements aren't valid enough to stand up for themselves. :(
    The Devs seem to know what they are doing the the Lynx 2.0 though, and even the Cougar from making it a high bullet damager Jag equiverlent.
  12. CMDante

Anyone else notice that the Cougar has a whopping 120 less reserve ammo than the new bandit? I get that they're different guns yadda yadda, but they seem similar enough that it's simply a "F you TR"

Changing subject slighty; anyone else feel that a 2x reflex sight would go perfectly with the cougar? The mid range with it isn't as bad as the minimum damage would suggest.
  13. OddChelsea

If they give a 2x to the cougar they have to give it to the NC and VS carbine too, as they all lack it. Otherwise sure. Also I don't mind them giving the cougar the same reserve ammo, just hope they don't bring the other guns down to it and bring the cougar up if this is the case.
  14. CMDante

I'd be fine with the other factions getting 2x sights as well, always seemed odd to me to exclude them. Also upon further investigation I have learned that the Bandit is listed as being 30/180 just like the Cougar, so it might just be a test server bug.
  15. Paperlamp

I misunderstood your question, I thought you were asking what NC carbine would fill the gap in TR's arsenal. Apparently you meant to ask what NC has that compares to the Jaguar - I'd say the GD-7F which is too good at medium range really for how powerful it is in close range. It's effective at the same ranges the Jaguar is if not a bit longer. The .75 ADS and 10 extra rounds aren't there, but it has 95 more RoF and 60 more bullet velocity so I think that's a pretty damned good trade. I believe NC is getting a .75 ADS carbine as well, though I'm not sure how good it is.

Merc and Jag aren't competing, you're right about that, TR has nothing like the Merc and that was actually my point - the TRAC-5 certainly doesn't compete either and neither does the T5 which hits like a wet noodle. TR really needs something that handles the ranges the Merc does as well as the Merc does, and that's why the Cougar is worrying because it's looking more like a variation of the Jaguar.
  16. OddChelsea

Yeah I just tested it, they have the same ammo count.
  17. MykeMichail

Has anyone actually done the TTK/BTK calculations on the new Cougar before they start complaining?

A 600 RPM weapon fires 10 rounds a second (100 ms per round). A 632 RPM weapon will fire 10.53 rounds per second (95 ms per round). So with a minimum BTK of 6 bullets, the Cougar might kill in 475 ms whereas the Merc kills in 500 ms. We're talking a 25 ms difference at the MINIMUM BTK range.

But, Cougar's damage drop off is faster, and it has a lower minimum damage. So there's going to be a point where the Merc is still killing with 6 bullets but the Cougar is taking 7, which pretty much eliminates the advantage of the extra 32 rpm.

Finally, at minimum damage range, Merc is going to be taking 8 bullets to kill, where the Cougar will take 9. That's 800 ms for the Merc and 855 ms for the Cougar, and from the videos I've seen, the Cougar isn't as controllable as the Merc, and its almost impossible to go full auto and land every shot at minium damage ranges.

People who've been saying this weapon will get nerfed/its OP are overreacting.
    • Up x 1
  18. CMDante

I just ran around the test servers with it for a while. It's a fine gun, serviceable and fun to use, doesn't feel like it's amazing or even remotely OP. Just close to what NC has but worse.
  19. Goretzu

If you can't handle people replying to you and disagreeing with you without losing it, then honestly forums are not for you. You'll likely find life itself pretty difficult acting that way too.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I asked.
    |
    V
    It doesn't though the Lynx/GD-7F/Serpent all sit to the CQB side of the Jag, and pure generalist Carbines like the Merc sit to the other side.
    The GD-7F whilst certainly useable at range (with practise) is significantly harder to use at range than the Jag.

I'm slightly bemused at how bad you seem to think the TRAC-5 is, my experience and the statistics don't seem to back that up, although in fairness if I could only choose two TR Carbines to use when playing TR it would be the Jag and T5, rather than the TRAC-5, but then NC-wise it would likely be the GD-7F and the Razor rather than the Merc and anything else.

However I think you're rather over-egging the range of the Merc (have you Aux'd one?), the way you talk about it there'd be no point in ever using the Razor, the reality is that the Razor is a much better longer range Carbine than the Merc and still pretty decent at medium range too.

The Merc is ok, it's a good all-rounder, but it's not that good at range or indeed at CQB.
  20. kadney

Hold your breath, the NC Bandit (167 DMG) will get a ADV laser and SPA aswell. :rolleyes: And it got better damage values.

Personally, I think the Cougar lacks a 2x Reflex Sight, ADV Forwardgrip and a Compensator, if it's supposed to fill a mid-long range role.
    • Up x 1