[Suggestion] A letter to Matthew Higby and Planetside 2

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Redwave, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Shaggath

I have no problem with light they do her job.
    Perhaps a teleport tool system to put two beacon.
    • Up x 1
  2. Stormsinger

So I see, I was not aware that Titanfall units worked that way, thanks. In PS2, however, it's only a small effort to swap to any other class. If you are in the field, and have no access to respawn... you now know the general flow of battle, and the unit types involved - get the appropriate equipment, and engage the threat.

This, specifically, is what I said.
    I did not say that lock ons were fun, but rather meaningful. Meaningful in this context means effective. It's cheesey, but it works. Interesting / fun ways would be maxes, dumbfires (I find connecting long range shots with dumbfires to be fun, you may not. *shrug* ) Fun would be Engie turrets, I enjoy using the AV turret, I find it to be quite amusing when engaging competent pilots.

If you the only individual engaging a tank, and thus the only target, you are going to be blasted to bits by his main cannon. If you dislike this, you have just as much access to tanks as the other guy. If you are capping a base, you do not need to allow this tank line of sight to fire on you, chances are, there is complete cover from fire. If you are running between bases, well... this is where vehicles reign supreme. Yelling about getting blasted while running around in the open is like complaining about being electrocuted with your tongue in the socket. No, it wasn't fun, but don't put your tongue there next time.

If the tank is sitting at render, hitting a small, moving target that does not wish to be hit is not easy. If he is skilled enough to do so, he deserves the kill. Many options exist for approaching a vehicle with C4. For example, when air-dropping on armor, it is possible to to place and detonate C4 before you even render for the tank pilot.

If the tank is at extreme range, and your goal is base capping / defense, then your goal should be the point, which has cover from ranged vehicle fire in almost all cases. The point at which the tank is a direct threat to you as an infantry unit, is when you are running from spawn to point.
    When I refer to superior firepower, in this context, I am talking about being one-shot nuked from nowhere. With the recent decrease in tank-shell power / blast radius, direct hits are required in almost all cases, even with HE.

This is true, but once they have done so, they have made their position known. Tanks are high value targets, chances are, there are already a few light assaults on their way to collect their cert cookie. Tanks have to present themselves as a target for longer then infantry do, and their size makes them easier to hit. I will grant you that a mobile, wary tank is a very nasty opponent, but one can say the same of good ESF pilots, not to mention good infantry players. Vehicles do tend to scale with skill better then infantry, however.

Tanks not existing removes a full third of the game, this would break more then it fixed. So... you don't like dealing with enemy armor, and you want it to go away so you don't have to care? If that's your opinion... try play in areas that provide maximum cover from tank fire, I recommend biolabs. Personally, I am a developer, and asking a user, "What don't you like about my product" and getting the response, "I just don't like it, FIX IT!" is frustrating. Tanks are part of the game, they have powerful weapons - so do infantry. If you don't like enemy tanks, blow them up - you have tanks too.

At the very least, make suggestions that help the developers come up with a solution. Compromise is a good thing. Leave tanks their current measure of lethality, but add structure shielding generators... - as an example, just use the same shielding for windows as is used for tech plant AV shields. Vehicles / vehicle rounds can't pass through, other stuff can. No more getting HE-rounded indoors.

Direct counters are a necessary evil in many cases. If the guy has a shotgun within 2 meters of you... you are going to be all over the walls. It sucks, yes, but next time you are going to be going indoors / close quarters, bring a shotgun yourself. Conversely, if you come up behind stationary_shotgun_guy_93 with a pistol, you can blast him before he can so much as turn to face you. You got the ambush, and the satisfaction of beating him at his own game. I call that fun. If you give up before you even attempt to try, yeah, you lost.

If the mossie had an A2A loadout, and you had an A2G loadout, you should loose. He's hunting enemy air, you are hunting enemy ground. This happens to me all the time, I accept it - it's a team game. You should not be able to be an effective counter for everything at all times at all ranges, now that wouldnt be fun.

If they surrounded the base, and you are pinned in spawn. SPAWN ELSEWHERE. This mentality is why people allow themselves to be farmed. Spawn at the nearest friendly base, pull armor, and blast the vultures from render range. If the enemy has fifteen tanks sitting outside the spawn room, you have already lost that base, they are just waiting for the timer.

Edit: Out of lunchtime i'll reply to this later. Happy hunting :)
  3. Redwave

That is what is being said in like forever, yes, HAs and Combat Medics only have C4 too but what about all the other **** they have? I think all the classes are not balanced due to this.
  4. Redwave

I think all your ideas are brilliant including the ones you mentioned, and the mortar is out of this world. When reading it also came to me that what if the mortar was like the Pheonix? With a auto-guided camera, this can help take out enemies that are camping a Bio-Lab hangar or spawn camping, etc.
  5. Redwave

Yeah I was thinking about that too but I missed it to add it to the letter, if we have a useless/effective tool we will be happy at least I know I'll be happy because it's better than the tool we currently have.
  6. Redwave

7. PastalavistaBB

Yes, remove C4 from LA and give them something else. Everybody except LA only players are saying the same for 2 years.
  8. Iridar51

Just to challenge the claim itself - false. I've seen people on multiple occasions saying "I'm a tanker / MAX and C4 is not a problem for me, L2P".

I'll gladly give up C4 when I no longer need it. I need C4 against AI MAXes, tanker-farmers and Phalanx turrets. Those are 3 things that like to think they're invulnerable in their little OP armored cans, and I want to punish them for that. I need C4 to do that.

Remove AI MAXes, remove HE / PPA, and I'll gladly give up my C4. Until that we need it as an option to be able to do at least something to these *censored*.
  9. PastalavistaBB

HE has been effectively removed from the game. The current HE is a joke. PPA will get a serious nerf. AI Maxes are too easy to kill tbh. Only the NC Max at point blank is a bit of a problem. But AV Grenades against Maxes are seriously OP. You can clear a room with 2 enemy squads with AV Grenades + Grenade Bandolier. If there's one class that shouldn't have C4 it's obviously LA. One man Ramboing vehicles is re tarded. I said it a thousand times and I will say it again: this is the result of the COD generation of players. They think they are entitled to be able to do everything by themselves easily.
  10. Iridar51

:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, let me just use those AV Grenades I have access to. Oh wait.

One man pulling vehicles isn't ********, why taking them out is?
  11. Redwave

That makes sense, but I have one question: Why not let the other roles that is their sole purpose to remove these threats do so?
  12. DatVanuMan

Nevar! You filthy LAs shall learn to bow down to the master class:p
  13. Redwave

The master class, more like the master *** :p
  14. DatVanuMan

YOU BET! Especially the VS females...
    HEHEHEHEHEH:rolleyes:
  15. Iridar51

1. As I said, direct counters are bad. They're not fun for anyone.
    2. "other roles that is their sole purpose to remove these threats do so" - I assume you're talking about HA? HA isn't a direct counter to AI MAX, it's not even a soft counter. It's much easier for a HA to mess up and die to AI MAX then it is to AI MAX to mess up and die to HA.
    People love to say "duh it just takes 2 rockets", but they forget that other infantry can be killed with much, much less effort. Why AI MAXes feel right to feel entitled to being immortal I do not understand. Even if they had just 2 times more health than infantry, MAXes would still be considerably more powerful than infantry. Then we could talk about some sorts of tradeoffs for speed and lack of utility, and other justifications, but now MAXes are blatantly OP.

And even then, HA's role is by far not solely defined by killing enemy MAXes.
    And EVEN THEN, we can't start talking about class roles (which is basically combined arms) before the game switches from its farming mentality. There can't be combined arms before objective based play, and PS2 right now is not an objective based game.

3. Relying on other people is not always an option. True, **** gets done if you play in an organized squad, and strictly speaking that's how you should always play PS2. But that's not always an option for smaller outfits, and it requires effort. That's basically a piece of raiding envirinment from MMORPG, such as WoW. Raiding in WOW also requires voice communication, class/role composition synergy and teamwork, but it's stressful. It's not as stressful in PS2, but it's still tiring.

I don't want to play the game in tryhard mode JUST so I can stand a chance against something even a solo player can pull.

Dealing with a squadron of tanks requires a similar amount of people to counter it, and it's fair. But requiring to be a part of the team just to deal with one of the basic units is unfair.
  16. Redwave

Funny! You misguided my trash talk for something we all like :D:D:D
    • Up x 1
  17. Redwave

Oh ok now I get the point you are trying to make.
  18. DatVanuMan

[IMG]
    • Up x 1