a comprensive explaination of how cloaking worked in videogames so far

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Skeith, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Skeith

Team fortress 2

the spy has perfect invisibility,has the option to refill the cloak bar with ammo or by standing still

the cloak will malfuction however if the spy gets hit or if he touches an enemy,and he cant attack as long the cloak is up

the kit of the spy allows the user to instantly kill someone from behind and his revolver it's a good alternative to CQC if he gets caught.

killzone 3

the sniper in killzone 3 has different kind of cloak,the more you move the more visible you became,but if you stand still you are almost completely invisible,additionally the duration of the cloak is unlimited and will only break when you kill someone

the sniper rifle in killzone 3 is insta kill in every spot,additionally you have a shotgun kind of pistol for CQC.

Tribes ascend

the infiltrator in tribes has perfect invisibility,the cloak has a limited duration and it can be reacharged with ammo packs if you have a particular perk additionally you can fire while you are cloaked

the kit of the infiltrator is purely made to destroy an enemy base, he can use an SMG or the Jackal(wich is a sticky launcher) additionally his kit packs 3 devastating explosive charges that can clear out an entire room and tear the enemy defences to pieces.

Planetside 2

imperfect cloak with limited duration that doesnt allow the user to shoot when it's active and makes him even more visible when he moves and that cannot be recharged by any additional means besides turning it off.

the kit of the infiltrator in PS2 is purely made for sniping,due to his insanely low CQC abilities,the low firepower of the sidearms and the scout rifle and the delay in reaction time if you get caught with your cloak on because you have to turn it off before you can backlash.

do the math :)
  2. Shoga

I haven't read anything more biased in a long, long time...

I agree infiltrators are not optimal. But that's a really poor description of the current system.
  3. Skurcey

As NC:
    -you can do short range with the scout rifles
    -Pistol is not underpowered, and prety precise from close. Of course the enemy need to be unaware of you ... pretty logical a SMG or MG win vs a pistol. Aim for the head
    -you have to turn it off but there s a little moment when you can fire, and still be a bit invisible
  4. VKhaun

I wouldn't call it bias. They're called infiltrators, but we give them sniper and scout rifles and tell them to stay far away from everything. The class was released unfinished. When we get stalker cloak with pure invisibility and something to do up close like plant C4 or use a melee booster or something... then we'll talk. Until then sufficed to say it's a work in progress and we all can see it.
    • Up x 2
  5. Shoga

And I do not disagree.
    However his review of other stealth classes were reasonable, where the compared to PS2 makes it sound absurd.

As you just mentioned. The issue is not necessarily the stealth. But more likely the gear, and abilities given.
    Stealth is fine as an option. But other options to cause havoc such as proper carbines to flank their opponent, or satchel charges to negate key points or similar items all helps making the role what it is.

As it stands, Infiltrators are limited to a recon dart gun, and stealth. Only having snipers available to them (And a bsomewhat roken SMG)
    They need more toys.
  6. Skeith

while i agree that SMG>pistol is logical

i dont agree that not only we have weaker guns but we have even smaller reaction time

in tribes for istance the infiltrator weapons have a slower firerate to compensate that they can sneak up on an unsuspected foe

in PS2 not only i have a crappier gun but i have smaller window of time to react,wich means that my suprise advantage is negated by that second that i need to remove my cloak
  7. RobotNinja

Sounds like OP wants to play some TF2. Wait a second...let me get my hat.
  8. Vepo

[IMG]
  9. deusex2

That's because PS2 Infiltrator class is absurd and is by far the worst stealth class implementation I've seen so far.
  10. Skurcey

Well, the ability to one shot and then quickly move out discretely is pretty enjoyable in my opinion.
    During beta i played infiltrator with shotgun and slugs ... It was pretty op. I'm sure opponents i had were taken their fun away a bit .
  11. Skeith

not
    keep in mind that to oneshot someone you need a bolt action sniper rifle and you need a good aim,also you need to keep your distance,since you cannot use the sniper for short or medium range

the only purpose of the infiltrator in this game is to find a group of enemies who are distracted by your enemies and kill them at long distance

also i played the infiltrator with the shotgun

and no it wasnt op at all

you give up your sniper rifle to have a decent CQC weapon,and the fact that you are delayed and at the same time that the cloak is very visible **** your sneaky mechanic by 10

the infiltrator should be only called sniper

it's not infiltrator by any means

because he cant infiltrate,it doesnt have way to defend itself once inside the enemy base and his kit is poor as hell
  12. gunshooter

There's nothing stopping you from buying your factions full auto rifle and playing cqc if you want. I do it. With that+cert for claymores you are much more of an "infiltrator." I play like this and have a ton of fun and do pretty well, sometimes i'm not very careful and I get killed very early into a life, but i'd say every second life, I get at least 5 kills, and often I run out of ammo and get 10+. Especially nade kills, cloak allows you to flank huge groups of enemy infantry for the perfect grenade if you're careful.

All that I would like to see is the full auto rifles having 25 or 30 round mags instead of 20 so that you don't immediately die against 2 enemies, since you can usually only kill 1 player per clip, better hacking that does more than it does now, and something to allow us to threaten vehicles, such as C4.
  13. deusex2

If you are referring to fully automatic scout rifle, that thing is inferior to all other assault rifles/smgs in game and it is, pretty much the worst primary weapon there is and the sad part is it's infiltrator's only option, even though VS Artemis damage got nerfed lol
  14. gunshooter

Obviously its worse overall but Infiltrator with a good cqc weapon would be insanely overpowered, remember shotguns?

Use cloak to get the first shot in and you can kill anyone just fine since recovering from the first hit in this game is impossible. It's not that much worse than the other full auto weapons, and it beats most of them out at medium range easily since it has almost 0 recoil.
  15. deusex2

Infiltrator stealth got nerfed and so did shotgun. You no longer can initiate the attack first without dropping the cloak, which is painfully obvious, in the first place.

So no, infiltrator with shotgun is not op with decent CQC weapon, in fact, any class is OP with CQC in CQC, except for current infiltrator.
  16. gunshooter

I do just fine, i've gotten 250 kills in my first day of having the SOAS-20 and actually playing Infil like an Infiltrator, not counting kills from Grenades and Claymores. If you have trouble getting the drop on people with cloak maybe the class isn't for you because I have no problems and very rarely do I die due to being seen while cloaked.

I can't help but think the people knocking on it just haven't tried it. It's more efficient than sniping (you get more kills faster) and it's pretty effective.
  17. yama

Yeah but all the run&gun-mine-tossi-hidey-whole-jumpy-fun is getting kinda stale after a bit :) gotta have something else to do in the long run.
  18. Wahooo

How is this comprehensive to video games so far when you don't even mention PS1 or Tribes 2?

If it were a perfect cloak when stationary it would be an improvement. Everything else about the class seems fine.
  19. deusex2

You do "fine," ok and I'm sure you're a very good player, but that's the thing you need to be very good to be average, when it comes down to infiltrator, thanks to inferior CQC weapon arsenal(the only one that we have, with no choice).
  20. gunshooter

I don't think it's inferior, just different. A medic with his insane CQC weapon can't cloak and get a good flank off to the same degree that Infiltrators can. It's a decent balance.

Though I do think our CQC options could use a buff, they should always remain worse than what other classes have, or we'll just see a repeat of shotgun infiltrators.

All it would take for the auto rifles to be good instead of just "usable" would be a clip size buff to 30. I would have next to no complaints about the class then. With 30 bullets, you could hipfire without being punished so badly if you happen to miss a few bullets, and you would actually be able to kill more than 1 enemy on 1 clip. The overall ammo capacity of the weapon is also very low and I have trouble getting more than 7 or 8 kills before running out of ammo.