A better idea: 0.75ADS on all carbines

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mustarde, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Mustarde

Hear me out before going blind with rage.

I never understood the current design of LMG's/AR's in terms of 0.75 ADS speed. Heck, the whole mobility thing in this game is a little strange (HA's are just as nimble as infiltrators). Since it seems that many people want to change things up, here's my take.

All carbines bump to 0.75 ADS. This establishes the carbine as a mobile, light weapon platform. It benefits LA's and engineers, and just feels like a logical design. It would mirror how SMG's across the board also share this attribute. Weapons like Jaguar and Bandit would need to be evaluated to see if this is a relative nerf or acceptable change compared to its peers.

All Assault rifles are 0.5 ADS. This only affects weapons like the TAR, NS11-A and HV-45, who are 0.75. Again, I think this is reasonable, and medics feel pretty well balanced in the game overall.

All LMG's become 0.4 ADS. HA's have more health via the overshield. It makes sense that they are less mobile. LMG's are large magazine high damage weapons. Some of them can sustain fire for a great deal of time with massive DPM compared to other weapon classes. I think this is a reasonable change and avoids the many ill-conceived HA nerfs that people have been toting for months and months. I want HA's to be strong, but I want them to have a downside. Mobility is that downside (or could be). Weapons like the NS15, SVA and Orion/BG would need small adjustments to compensate for being previously balanced around having 0.75.

Thoughts? Personally 0.75 isn't a bad thing in my opinion. It just was implemented poorly and we could use a more uniform application of such a movement modifier. The game handles movement A LOT better than it did upon release, and I rarely if ever see the kind of glitchy movement that came with strafing before. Nowadays that is more from client side lagging rather than server and animation interpolation.
    • Up x 7
  2. Ronin Oni

I have no idea why numbnuts wants to remove .75 from Carbine and SMG.

makes no damn sense.

I don't even think AR's need reduced ADS speed honestly, maybe on the CQB AR's only or something.

I'm resigned to having it removed from LMG's. When people continue to get dominated by Orions when they are irrefutabily statistically inferior weapons however, I'll be interested to see what they complain about.
  3. nehylen

I disagree: apart from the few exceptions, .75ads for auto guns should be more of a SMG thing as a general rule. Also would screw the balance some (like NS-11C becoming a worst Solstice SF for VS, or Zenith having no point - already 27rpm short-).

While i may understand the point for LAs, i don't see why engineers should be moving faster with their usual guns in ads? Why give more ads speed in general to a weapons class whose "selling point" is having better hipfire than ARs. I know a lot of people play like hipfire doesn't even exist in the game, yet that doesn't mean they're right to do so.

Finally, why change class balance where it's fine (every standard infantry class but one), and not where it's a problem (HA)? The problem at hand is that LMGs suffer minimal penalties in ads compared to ARs, which are usually considered the point of reference and are on a class which survives more easily at short range (because LMG CoF is not that bad), or even at range (because medkit tanking).
    Why LMGs don't have to bear with 2 tiers fall-off as a base rule (like carbines) on a class so gifted is a mystery to me.
  4. Dj Gus

Meh, it would save us from a lot of tears and whining... Probably the better way of solving the issue.
  5. Shatteredstar

Mustard! I am disappoint that you threw up a .75 ads thread!

I find it to be negligible in play overall. I've never had someone do this mythical adadad dodge while murdering others effectively that supposedly makes them godlike, so put it on everything or take it away, heck make all smgs have it or carbines whatever!
  6. FateJH

Personally, I think you're all crazy.
    • Up x 2
  7. Iridar51

Mostly agreed; I'm not sure engineers should have 75% ADS. I always felt engineers should be more about tinkering, combining various tools to create an unobvious path to victory, rather than straight up firepower or mobility.

Honestly I don't like 75% ADS as a thing, and I'd rather it be removed from everything except SMGs and pistols.
    • Up x 1
  8. Jaedrik

Yes, but

Let ARs be more varied, and or make a middle ground like .625
    And let LMGs stay at .5

I'd like that. As you can see, I like buffing things rather than nerfing them when the option is presented. :D
    IMO carbines have always needed a buff. Kinda. And this would be a great change for them.
  9. Scorpion97

I would like .75 ads to be for other VS weapons as payback to the LMG nerf
  10. SwornJupiter

Can you not be objective... just for once?
  11. SwornJupiter